Threats from ebay about joining their payment system

I regularly receive threats from eBay that they will "disable" my listing capabilities if I don't enroll in their managed payments, with a deadline that seems to extend every time I DON'T sign up. What's the deal here? Do they ever really act upon those threats?

For multiple reasons, I won't sign up for their managed payment system (I'll give the top 2; 1- totally disrupt my selling flow here where I use PayPal shipping linked to my Canada Post account to ship 2- I have a few business owner friends who had nothing but problems with failed payouts (is it maybe a Canadian thing? They've been using this program for 5+ years in the US without any hiccups I think?) and, like we probably all experienced with eBay as sellers, are unable to speak to someone at eBay who can straighten things up and eBay is holding their money, while multiple sales keep being made without access to their money even for shipping, and eBay charges them their fees too! lol) so everytime I'm ready to just call it quits on eBay once their "deadline" is up to concentrate on my other marketplaces that do way better for me than eBay anyway .. it seems business can go on as usual and nobody at eBay noticed they sent me that threat apparently ... and they just give me a new "deadline" with the same threats ... 

I've stopped putting my new stuff for sale here because I expect to just cancel my account "soon", I just take whatever the venue will get me in the mean time ... but ... is there really gonna be an end or it's just that? Threats? If so, I will continue to develop things around here with extra listings and all ...

Anyone here who experienced a true "stop" to their listing capabilities once these (apparently arbitrary) deadline were met?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Theres been a few sellers have there abilities to sell shut down for not signing up with MP.

They allow you to sell whats listed and nothing new allowed from what i remember. 

Itll come they probably give you a few warnings first . 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay first started piloting Managed Payments on the .com site in the fall of 2018 and has been slowly rolling it out since.  It's replacing PayPal as its payment processor and is one of the last eCommerce sites to adopt its own "in house" system.

If you choose not to adopt Managed Payments, you'll likely find that even if eBay doesn't disable your listings, you'll be unable to list and sell the way you're accustomed to as eBay is gradually removing its system links from PayPal.

My sense is that sellers who prepared for this change back when it was first announced seem to be having an easier time of this than those who waited, and I'm speaking as a pretty bad procrastinator.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

(I'll give the top 2; 1- totally disrupt my selling flow here where I use PayPal shipping linked to my Canada Post account to ship

Your buyers will still be able to use PP to pay you, along with credit cards, ApplePay and GooglePay.

However, many sellers agree that being unable to buy anything (shipping labels, tube socks, MCM chairs, gold bullion) with a MP balance was a stupid decision on eBay's part.

2- I have a few business owner friends who had nothing but problems with failed payouts

There are a lot of reports on the Canada Boards too, although this is where people come when they have problems, so there is a skew to the numbers.

Full Disclosure- I'm holding out too, although not for the reasons you give.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

From my brief experience using MP it's open ended poorly set up running float set up in eBay's favour where they control fee removal and seller has limited control of funds and the balance attached.

My new record for In processing is up to 26 hours and still running. Of course a slightly higher value sale. Packing slip totals for US sales are incorrect in eBay(omits tax line and final total shows bad math for numbers included)/Shippo(Shippo shows tax line but does not include as part of final total) Transaction details are correct in Sellers Hub. Anyone know if packing slip is accurate for US orders in PayPal?

-Lotz

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I have both Canadian EBay and U.S. EBay accounts.  The U.S. one has disabled any adding of new products or editing of existing ones.

I can't setup the EBay payment system in the U.S. because I am a Canadian Corporation so I don't have the Employment Identification Number necessary to  change payment methods.

I had no problem setting up the EBay payment on EBay Canada but I hate it and I have complained to customer support but 'it's above their pay grade'.

PayPal - Get paid instantly - Can transfer funds of any amount at any time to my bank accounts.  All my sales from my four websites get deposited directly and instantly into my 1 PayPal account.  This makes is easy to reconcile payments from all my websites and formerly EBay sales.

EBay Payment - Payment to my bank account seems to be completely at random.  Sometimes includes several sales, sometimes not.  One more account to reconcile for no good reason, other than EBay wants to get the payment processing fees instead of PayPal.

Yeah, I may also shut down my EBay Canada account too.

The least they can do is give us to choice to remain with PayPal or move to the EBay payment.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, they extended the deadline for me once or twice but then blocked my new listings in July 2020. I will say that in the end I had no issues registering and all my payouts have been fine with the exception of one that was late, but they did make a special off-schedule payment to make up for it.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I know they'll be able to use paypal to pay me, but it won't be a direct paypal payment to me so I won't be able to simply use PayPal shipping to get the label easily with one click from their own payment (linked to my Canada Post enterprise account, so I can check those packages directly in my CP frontend). Like I said, it disrupts my selling flow here terribly and just that is enough to make me rethink about selling here when it's so easy from the 3 other marketplaces I use (and which brings easily 95% of my sales). Add in all this possible "brouhaha" about the random problems where they keep the money of your sales while telling you "everything is ok" on their end without any solutions, not worth the risk to keep selling here for me. It's been a good run eBay, over 20 years all in all, but it's not you, it's me. Lol.

So basically, I'll have one or 2 extra "deadline" and then they pull the plug? Fine. 

Thanks for the answers everyone!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I just received the "cancellation" email, saying that I can no longer list items until I've registered for MP.  Out of curiosity vintadare, which other 3 Marketplaces are you using (if you don't mind my asking)?  I would happily try out a new place to sell. I'm not a full time seller.....just a few items a week, but I haven't been happy with ebay for awhile. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've started struggling when Turbo Lister got nixed ...I have no permanent back up of listing templates... takes me min. 20 min to put up a listing. That's if I don't have to research a selling price first. - If I'm in the position of learning new shipping systems etc currently on eBay, then I should just bite the bullet and learn a new Selling Platform now. From Covid and having a massive infection these last 7 months, my sales are almost non-existent anyway. I've been selling since 2004 -Cheers Melanie 

(ps - eBay has stopped me from using several functions -like printing packing slips - because I have not had the time to set up a new banking system for them...  I haven't set up for 30 day returns either -... I don't know how to bulk change everything 1st of all - but second it could cripple me! - I'm on disabilty - Large sales I do leave the dollars untouched for 8-10 days until I know that the buyer is happy.  To have people decide after 30 days that maybe they'd like to return... I'd never have groceries... 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply