Tracked packet US stuck in transit

I shipped with tracked packet US it was supposed to be delivered on october 27 we're now october 25-26 i checked the updates and it did not moved since october 21. I got the package approved directly at a CP office and it crossed border, it's stuck in US. We're one day to estimated delivery and the package is like at 20% of its road...

I'm a bit worried about it i'm not sure what to do this is my first time shipping with tracking... There's no doubts it won't meet the estimated delivery. Can the buyer ask for a refund if he does not receive it by time? How many time we got if it's delayed? I'm worried about losing my packet that's an expensive one and those tracking updates doesnt seems normal to me

What i'm supposed to do?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Tracked packet US stuck in transit

Copy  the tracking number and view the tracking on the Canada Post website.

If you are viewing the tracking on eBay.... Tracking information on eBay can be a mess.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Update is the same on canada post

Both ebay and canada post last update is: item processed, the city, usa.  october 21

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

try usps.com tracking maybe better updates.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Generally I try to NOT watch tracked items progress, far too often it just creates unnecessary stress because:

-eBay updates can be very behind nor never are updated

-Canada Post updates can be behind, confusing as to what is happening, or never updated (for international deliveries)

If one does have to check, it is always best as escylons suggested to check the delivery countries post office, in this case in the USA that will tend to be more quickly updated.

Unfortunately just like eBay and CP, the USPS can be behind, or have confusing messages like return to sender etc that aren't what is actually happening. Things will show nothing then all the sudden 4 updates show up including "delivered" or "out for delivery".

You don't have to do anything until the buyer does something. If they do, you've go the tracking to attach to any case that they open which is based on the delivery date you had in your listing not what's on the CP delivery schedule. 

Normally when there is tracking there is much less chance the buyer will initiate a case, they may ask questions if it shows slow progress or no progress but in that case you can point them to their post office tracking instead of the eBay one. The question asking process often creates unnecessary cases because buyers are pushed the case path and they open them accidentally, because all they really wanted to know is if you know where the package is at, but in that case all you need to do is make sure to put the tracking number into the case, even if it is on eBay still put the tracking number in the case that is a very important thing to do.

But those are all things far from needing to worry about at this point..... let us know what happens

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Yep i tried usps and they are in advance on the updates! Been in transit to facility october 25 and arrived to the buyer city distribution center this night. Everything looks legit now at least, no parcel lost or stuck for whatever reason

For my delivery i had 1 or 2 business day handling and calculated shipping, i shipped in time and after i got no control of the delivery time provided to buyer 

Just talking, what happen if a parcel is late, a buyer can open a case and got refund? And then when he receive the item keep it without return? Sounds a bit weird i just wonder what would happen in this case

To be honest it's my biggest sale, my first time using tracking, it's US, had no updates, very close to late shipment, buyer is a 1 feedback profil, and my sale was a game with scratchs (seems easy to scam). That's a bit to induce anxiety

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Not watching tracked items in transit is a lot easier said than done. I too can't stop myself sometimes especially in situations like yours where it is a high value item and I have worries about it.

I can't say much about cases against a tracked item, in all my time here, I've never had an in earnest case opened that I can recall for a tracked item (I probably have had mistaken cases where the person opened a case when they simply wanted to know if I knew any more info than was showing in the tracking). I also only send about 15 to 20% of my stuff tracked.

I think that there are extensions made in situations where there are weather, postal (like a strike), or other things causing the delays, and there may be generic ones, like an extra few days or something. I know during the COVID bad "chicago" delays timeframe it was something like 30 days from the shipping date...

I'm sure there are others out there that have actual experience with this, although personally I think it is a pretty low likelihood you'll have to deal with it anyway.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Team Racoons moving to the big leagues! 

Congrats on your (first?) US sale, this is where the money and volume is, the Collectibles category being no exception. There is little money to be made selling to fellow Canadians, that is the cold hard truth, your patriotism and Canadian pride notwithstanding.

You received great advice above. I've never had an INR case opened on a tracked item either. Just upload the tracking number if an INR case is open and eBay will most likely side in your favor in this circumstance.

Just a reminder that buyer feedback doesn't mean anything, I just got scammed for US$20 yesterday by a buyer with 1,000+ feedback, he knew the system and tried feedback extorsion, not worth fightning it for $20. I made sure I forced him into a Return so I get feedback protection and eBay keeps track (hopefully) of return abusers. But these are rare and far apart occurences, the vast majority of buyers on eBay are honest and well intended.

Don't become paranoid by the negative echochamber that the eBay Seller Forum can be at times, with the overwhelming number of posts being complaints about scams, low sales, late shipments, "I bought a "very rare vintage item" for $4 at Value Village and can't understand why nobody will buy it from me for $400 with $50 Canada Post shipping on top", I quit eBay after 20 years, that's it, I'm done (comes back after 2 weeks cause he/she realized that there is zero volume/visibility in the local classifieds and that the site named after a river charges 20% commission and has much more stringent selling standards...).

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Just talking, what happen if a parcel is late, a buyer can open a case and got refund?

Yes.

If you cannot show Proof of Delivery, you will refund.

Do it promptly and voluntarily and your account remains clean.

And then when he receive the item keep it without return?

Yes.

But if you see on the tracking that the item has been delivered, you can Message him and politely ask that he return the refund.

You can send a Paypal invoice (lower fees!) and be paid that way.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

To expand on stamps post...a buyer can open a case a day after the estimated delivery date.  If the tracking shows delivered, enter the tracking number again and eBay will close the case though not always right away.  If there hasn't been delivery, you have to refund within 3 days or eBay will do it for you and you will get a defect.  But if there has been tracking updates in the last 10 days you can contact eBay and ask them to extend the case so that you have more than 3 days to refund.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

As per above, I sell 3D printed hobby items into the US. As they are low price/value, I almost always sell without tracking.  It is difficult to be compeditive with US sellers otherwise and Canadian shipping costs are just tragic when conducting business.  I would guess 1 in 100 sales goes badly, where the person becomes impatatient and since I have no tracking to provide them, just refund them and let them keep the item, when it eventually arrives.  The profit I would make if I tried to track the items would be so small to not be worth it, so its just the cost of doing business.  You get someone essentially stealing from you everyonce and a while, but what can you do, I typically block the buyer after that so they can never buy from me again.  

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

You get someone essentially stealing from you everyonce and a while,

But it is just as likely, as we see from seller posts where tracking is used that the disappointed buyer did not receive the item.

The one in 100 rate is supposed to be industry average for Failed Transactions, which is a useful ratio to keep in mind.

One reason I leave feedback on shipment is because I rarely track - for the same reasons @carszczersk0  gives. The cost of unneeded tracking far exceeds the cost of the occasional refund.

This is even more true when the seller counts the cost as her expenses (procurement, packaging, fees, postage) and not as the refunded payment, which includes profit (if we are doing it right).

I believe that feedback, and mine includes shipping date, encourages the buyer to communicate if there is a problem, like late delivery.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the answers

So after no mouvement for 5 days it got delivered this morning and suddently i have a bunch of updates that were not there

october 22: in transit, arriving on time

october 23: in transit, arriving on time

october 24: in transit, arriving on time

Bit dumb to have tracking on an item and receive the updates only after the item is delivered to the destination

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Were those updates on the eBay site? the Canada Post site? or the USPS site?

They don't sync up, which can be nerve wracking.

Also, this is why I don't look at tracking unless my buyer complains. Om mane padme om.

WhatsApp-Image-2020-12-17-at-10.13.43-AM.jpeg

Message 14 of 14
latest reply