Try to put up Mystery Box listing, says not allowed...

Search Ebay for "Mystery Box" and a bunch are currently up and being bid on, numerous ones sold recently and on a constant/consistent basis.

Pardon my french, but **bleep**? If they're not allowed, how are there listings up for them right now, and how are people selling them??

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Try to put up Mystery Box listing, says not allowed...

Mystery Boxes have not been allowed for years .

They come under the Chance policy

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

Perhaps your listing contravened some of those guidelines.

That you are a very occasional seller means that your listings are given more scrutiny than a seller with more experience and a strong trackrecord of customer satisfaction.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

you can't sell something that is unknown, you may include unknown bonus items, but the item you sell must include a description, and a quantity..of the item being sold..

if you see someone else doing the wrong thing than feel free to report that listing..

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

9,288 results for Mystery Box

If you were to report all those your keyboarding fingers would be very tired    Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@strange*highways wrote:

9,288 results for Mystery Box

If you were to report all those your keyboarding fingers would be very tired    Smiley Very Happy

Only 481results if you search Canada-Only

Some Mystery boxes do properly show you what you get, the mystery is what the items are... Smiley Wink

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mystery-Box-Exposed-Electronic-Parts-ACKTONN-/172814774544

-..-

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

How do you know I didn't sit by my computer for the last 48 hours and report 8807 of them  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I notice "Mystery Boxes" have become very popular lately, especially as many popular "YouTubers" have been using them to make videos. Once the more popular ones do something, everyone else tries to emulate them, so many others are buying them to make their own videos with. There are even listings where the sellers specifically state things like "great for YouTube videos".

I have a feeling they're more of a fad and will fade away soon.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@strange*highways wrote:

How do you know I didn't sit by my computer for the last 48 hours and report 8807 of them  Smiley Very Happy

because they keep growing -- 9360 (default search) or 484 (Canada only seach) at the moment...

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

485 results for mystery box

Canada Only

As a seller, I wouldn't touch this idea with a ten-foot pole. It's just a big pile of SNAD disappointment waiting to happen. And as a buyer....? If I wanted a surprise in my life, I'd reach into the refrigerator with my eyes closed. 
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

First they are not allowed. Second you only need few percent of your buyers unhappy to get into serious problems on eBay. So why would you even considering listing a surprise box?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Some people think it's a good idea to follow the "young people" trends and list what's popular in the moment for quick and easy sales. Unlike other recent trends that are specific items (i.e. fidget spinners), these mystery boxes are, as you say, not allowed and very risky.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It reminds me of the people who listed chicken eggs coloured with crayoned speckles for auction at Christmas last year.... as a 'joke' one would presume.... and they sold for approx $80 USD usually. I can't help but imagine someone's Gramma bidding on them thinking the 'original Hatcnhimal' as described was in fact a Hatchimal toy not someone's snarly and snarky idea of 'sucker' humour. Haw haw. So not very funny. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

femmefan - You're about the only one who gave me an actual answer here, so thank you for that.

Doesn't really make much sense why people who are more experienced sellers wouldn't have the auto warnings pop up like myself when I tried to list some, but then, this is Ebay, where there's a lot of things that don't rightly make sense.

Just seems overly stupid to me that it would be against the policy, and yet as others pointed out, there are MANY listings which are still up for these things. I'd report what ones I can find, but then in the past, reporting seems to have done jack squat -.-

Message 13 of 13
latest reply