US Boards just announced 2017 summer update

The US boards have just opened a discussion on the 2017 summer update. What happened to only spring and fall

This link should get you to it.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/2017-Summer-Seller-Update/ba-p/26905645

I wonder if ours is coming soon.

Will it never stop???????

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

On my subject, which some will be very interested in is the following on images.

To help provide a consistent buying experience and enable a faster and more accurate listing process, eBay uses images provided by our sellers in our catalog. By August 2017, sellers will no longer be able to opt out of this program, and all photos in listings created, relisted, or renewed will be considered for possible inclusion in the catalog.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

here is another one from the UA

When you use the consumer seller listing tool to create listings, your fixed-price listings may renew automatically every 30 days, based on the listing terms at that time, until the quantities sell out or until you cancel the listing.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Here is the Canadian summer update link

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/05/09/7988/

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

On my subject, which some will be very interested in is the following on images.

To help provide a consistent buying experience and enable a faster and more accurate listing process, eBay uses images provided by our sellers in our catalog. By August 2017, sellers will no longer be able to opt out of this program, and all photos in listings created, relisted, or renewed will be considered for possible inclusion in the catalog.

As I had assumed. The amazonification of ebay is nearing completion. Just for once I wish they could humor me and change the UA text to something more accurate such as: "To help us achieve our revenue targets and appease shareholders eBay aids lazy and incompetent sellers by providing them access to your images. All photos provided in the catalog may not be representative of the items being sold nor be accurate in their depiction of the condition of a given item, but that's ok because you will soon be offering mandatory free 60 day returns and 24 hour replacement shipping."

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Will it be the spring or fall update where searches are redirected to product pages that rank sellers by an algorithm that measures price, length of return policy, and shipping costs? One of the last important blocks they haven't implemented.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

If that's the case, my watermarks are going to be as big and bold as allowed.

Either that, or I'll move my wares off-site.

The theft of my hard work is a deal-breaker for me. I don't consent to my photographs being used to sell competitor's items. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thank god, I'll being working on my own website this summer.... 

I don't think I will be affected as much as other sellers with this listing policy as I list in the Movie Memoriliblia Category and many of the images I sell are on the scarce side.  

But I'm growing tired of these new seller updates and constant gouging from eBay Management.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Go Daddy and a whole slew of other sites will be happy for your $$$$

@silverpinups wrote:

Thank god, I'll being working on my own website this summer.... 

I don't think I will be affected as much as other sellers with this listing policy as I list in the Movie Memoriliblia Category and many of the images I sell are on the scarce side.  

But I'm growing tired of these new seller updates and constant gouging from eBay Management.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

"Go Daddy and a whole slew of other sites will be happy for your $$$$"

That is true BUT - I just checked - and GoDaddy charges GST/HST to Canadians just as eBay-Canada will starting July.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I'll be hiring a company like Web Wizards to design my website so I don't know what is really involved as of yet, but I will be networking on Facebook as well as other sites. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

How ironic.  

EBay apparently has no qualms about using sellers' own photographs, without their consent, and willy-nilly, which in most situations would be considered copyright infringement and illegal, but comes down like a hammer on sellers who engage in copyright theft or piracy.  

Next I imagine eBay will outlaw watermarks on seller photos, to further facilitate the purloining of the hard work of those sellers who do spend time on their pictures, for the benefit of sellers too big or lazy to do their own photography work.  

Digusting. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

Will it be the spring or fall update where searches are redirected to product pages that rank sellers by an algorithm that measures price, length of return policy, and shipping costs? One of the last important blocks they haven't implemented.

don't forget promoted listings which will be first to boost Ebay's revenue and sales numbers!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Next I imagine eBay will outlaw watermarks on seller photos, to further facilitate the purloining of the hard work of those sellers who do spend time on their pictures, for the benefit of sellers too big or lazy to do their own photography work.  

Digusting. 

That is already in the works given changes to the listing tool and updating of policies related to images. Once the change to policy is in effect I suspect that will be the end to watermarks.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

I'll be hiring a company like Web Wizards to design my website so I don't know what is really involved as of yet, but I will be networking on Facebook as well as other sites. 

The web part is the simple part. Demand generation is the more difficult part. For sellers who have regular repeat customers, they already have a highly qualified mailing listing to market to.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply