US Customs Opening A Sealed Game

Hi,

Have anyone experienced selling a Brand New Sealed game and sending it from Canada to the US. But going through the USA customs and having the game opened and checked. Now the game is no longer brand new and the buyer wants a refund since it is not new anymore. Is there anything that can be done about this or I am just stuck with refunding the buyer and getting a open box game back. Thanks

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

marnotom!
Community Member

Has your buyer sent you a picture of the package with a note from customs stating that they had to open it?  Just wondering how your buyer knows it was customs that opened it.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hmmmm... this sounds fishy to me. Why would customs open a factory sealed item? Was there photo proof from the buyer on this? Usually customs places a notice on it stating that a package has been opened. And usually it's just to inspect the contents of the envelope or box, not to open a factory sealed item.

But anyway...typically it's the buyers risk to deal with any customs tampering... so I'd contact ebay about this and hold my ground. Especially if it's an expensive game.

And technically, the game is still new, so unless the buyer planned to give as a gift or resell, no harm done. So yeah, smells scammy. Selling games is risky business!
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

You definitely want to see the note from US customs.

After that, no refund without return.

If necessary, you can supply a USPS shipping label using Shippo.

But you want the note first.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Check the buyer's feedback profile along with feedback left for others. Checking both is important, as it might reveal red flags such as the buyer leaving a high amount of negatives for other sellers, or sellers leaving positive feedback with negative comments for the buyer. (Since sellers cannot leave buyers negative feedback)

If they've opened a return case, ask for proof.  If what others have said is accurate, there should be some indication that the item was inspected.

I assume this was your Zelda game, which is an older game, and highly collectible if sealed. For context, unlike with a new release where it doesn't matter if the game is opened becuase the buyer will do that anyways, this is not a game someone would buy to open. It is a 20 or so year old game with collectible value. My first instinct in your shoes would be that someone might be trying to do a switcheroo by returning an opened copy of the game, and keeping the sealed copy. 

What you should do is gather as much info as possible about the situation. If you're not on managed payments, check the Paypal receipt for their Paypal e-mail and name associated with the account. Include that as well. Call Canada Post and/or USPS and ask them if they have any insight about the customs process. Consider contacting USPS to see if there is any way to verify whether the package was opened by customs prior to final delivery. Also consider googling to see if there is an applicable contact for US customs. Write down all the info you get and prepare it in a word file so it is all in the same place.

I don't know how much of the above would be plausible, but it would be a good starting point. 

After that, CALL EBAY. Don't use the live chat. I appreciate the live chat feature, but for situations where you are suspicious you are being targeted in a scam, calling is always better. If the buyer is refusing to provide proof that customs opened the package, or if their proof does not line up with what you've learned through contacting USPS, Customs, etc - they might be able to have their fraud team look into the activity of the buyer. Especially if this was a brand new account, or a very inactive account, there is a chance this is a buyer who created a new account, whose old account no longer qualifies for buyer protection due to previous fraud. This is why it is important to provide any info you have in terms of any extra names or e-mails that might be associated with the actual Paypal receipt. 

If it turns out the buyer is being honest, at that point, I'm not sure who is liable in terms of eBay's policy. Assuming you are not liable from eBay's POV, then from an ethical POV, that would be up to you to decide if the risk of customs is your responsibility or the buyer's responsibility. In their shoes, if you purchased a collector's item from the US that was devalued because it was open at the border, would you expect a return, or would you expect to eat the cost?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Consider this when determining if it's "the right thing to do" even in the unlikely event that customs did open the item: No retailer would EVER return an opened game that was sold new.  Unless it was damaged in transit. Not sure if customs opening it could be considered damage in a claim???

Also, if there are US sellers selling this same game for around the same price, this buyer likely targets Canadian sellers to use the "customs opened the game" excuse. It's like this repeat US scammer that bought a game from me... he would always buy from Canadians sending small packet, and file an INR 3 weeks later. Wonder if it's the same guy.. lol

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I have had a few packages opened by US customs and Canadian Customs over the years

and everytime a package has been opened and inspected the Customs have always put

a "sticker" on the package (both US & Canadian Customs) stating that the package had been

opened for inspection.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I've had a buyer complain to me that a built car model, which I had, as usual, carefully packed, had been damaged in shipping, and he wanted either a refund [and, I guess, keep it], or price adjustment. His description of the damage seemed impossible, given the way I had packed the item. I just asked for a picture [so I could "go after the post office"] --- and I heard no more. This guy had been pulling this trick for years, I guess. Consequently, I added him to my bad buyers list.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Could you tell me that what kind of  items in the packages? I just wonder why they opened your packages. Opening the packages at the customs is quiet rare actually since they are dealing with tons of packages everyday.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

It's a videogame, new and sealed.

The reason so many posters are suspicious is both because, as you say , opening any package is rare, and because when packages are opened, CBSA and I suppose the US border people, include a Notice that the investigation has been performed.

The value of the game was that it was sealed. And switching it for an unsealed one would destroy the value.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I was actually asking to another guy, but I forgot to quote his post. Anyway, my advice is, reduce the arguments as much as you can, and go by the facts. There's no point arguing with these weirdos. Just tell them to show the proofs, and then tell them to return it back to you. I had a similar case as yours. I sent a new sealed game but the guy said there's no disc inside. It was really stressful, but I gotta say it's not the worst. In some way, It's actually kinda blessing.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

If you're concerned it will reoccur get a used go pro.  Position it above your shipping table. Shipments will than always be documented.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

While filming the packaging and shipping of an item is reassuring for the seller and possibly reassuring for the honest buyer and off-putting for the dishonest one, neither eBay nor Paypal will accept this as part of a dispute.

The only proof of delivery they will accept is a Confirmation of Delivery from the shipping company and if the item is valued over $650, Signature Confirmation of Delivery.

The only action eBay and Paypal will sanction in a Not As Described dispute is returning the disputed item to the seller.  The only question with this is who pays for the return.

There is reason to believe that eBay does track buyers with "too many" disputes, won or lost. We do see occasionally, and usually on the dotCOM Boards, complaints from buyers who have been denied the use of the Money Back Guarantee, due to filing "too many" disputes.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

There was nothing odd, unusual or illegal in the packages that were inspected.

Sometimes Customs do this at random. If the description does not appear to be what is in the pkg. may be one of the reasons.  If you ship to the USA or receive pkgs from

the USA to Canada with any frequency this will happen sooner or later with one of your

pkgs.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply