US bound parcels this week

Last week, I sent six parcels to the US, Tracked Packet or Expedited, all went through the Mississaga plant right away, delivered to their states (including some southern ones) by Wed. this week at the latest.

This week, US bound parcels are getting read in the local sorting plant

but still waiting for days. Aren't even being read in Mississaga.

Is Gateway running again? Anyone else notice a difference in parcels to the US since the workers were sent back (who will have 

to clear up the backlog of Canadian bound parcels)?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I looked at a few packages, the progress is all over the map. Some stuff seems to be going faster than others, my slowest is a package to NF, sent Nov 9 still doesn't show as being delivered.

Overall it does appear that things have slowed down in the last few days as compared to a week ago.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I can also concur the progress of my packages through the system has slowed. 

Stuff to the USA at the end of last week made it to the USA quickly. Stuff mailed at the start of this week? Not so much.

I mailed three items to Ontario at the same time on, I think, Thursday last week. One was delivered on regular schedule. One was a few days late, the other is last scanned only having left Winnipeg that same night its was mailed.

I'm beginning to fear that Canada Post management really wasn't exaggerating the backlog and how long it will take to clear. 

And then there's CUPW leadership who told government it would take his people 'one day' to fix it. 

Other stuff heading in opposite directions seems to be moving slowly but steadily. Stuff coming to me, as a buyer, from west of me is not getting any closer at all but I don't know how much of that is due to sellers being cautious or how much of it got stuck in Richmond where the Labour organizers decided to interfere in this. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Just got off the phone with CP customer service. What a waste of time.

They just parroted back the script about unprecedented delays.

The Stoney Creek and other regional sorting plants are basically the 

size of a Tim Hortons.  Why this week parcels are getting "stuck" there 

is infuriating.  They should at least be showing a read from Mississaga

like last week.  

I had one parcel mailed last Friday arrive Wed. of this week in the southern US.

Once it gets through Mississaga the USPS seems much more of a reliable

system.  Why cant we have a system like theirs (not to mention things

like media mail rates, which I get asked about all the time)

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

From what I understand, many parcels faced detours and some trailers with mail had to be taken to a site for storage.

Now, as far as media reports they confirmed trailers of incoming international mail, but I suspect domestic mail also has been stored in trailers. Simply because many of the neighboring plants don't have the capacity to handle the packages, but the packages ostensibly have to get an update/scan somehow.

CPC is not really telling all, but I suspect the situation is quite grim.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

All Tracked Packet-USA packages I mailed on Monday, Nov. 26, 2018 have reached the USA. So basically 2-3 days which is normal.

Like I said before, I believe all Tracked services (USA and International) have been given priority because of the shipping cost involved. 

I haven't had any Canadian sales since October (which is normal) so I can't compare how domestic mail is moving.     

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

That is why I have this sinking feeling that this parcel

with a label that clearly says USA Tracked Packet, with a big CN22 sticker,

got thrown into the Canada-bound parcels bin and is off

to some storage trailer for eternity,

while my American buyer is

questioning why tracking is showing it is stuck in a rinky-dinky

sorting plant the size of a Tim Hortons.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply