US buyers buy off .com and Canadian buyers buy off .ca

It is so obvious, US buyers seldom buy CD listed on .ca, Canadian buyers buy items listed on .ca and .com.  Ebay can say all they want that listings in Canadian $ doesn't make a difference for US buyers but it does.  I have lots of proof but here is mine, just over the last 2 days.  I could go back weeks and in what I sell and it is the same.  I am shocked if a US buyer buys something listed on .ca as it happens so infrequently as mentioned in this thread.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Finally-a-US-buyer-bought-something-off-ca/m-p/409248?ad...

canada vs us.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: US buyers buy off .com and Canadian buyers buy off .ca

And buyers that search use eBay search(either specifically on dot ca or com) just like someone buying on the river uses the river(and dot ca or dot com), not google. I ONLY use google for additional research when i can't find items that have sold in the past on eBay.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Must depend on what is being sold, my experience has been very different.

Buyers of my .ca listings are about evenly split between Canada and USA/International. Buyers of my .com listings are predominantly Americans with a smattering of others but I list little there that is of interest to non USA buyers.

Further to the point of "it depends". Until fairly recently I listed a lot (thousands) of hard to find print advertisements, not the sort of consumer product ads carried in LIFE or VOGUE but really hard to find advertisements from the era of rail and sail.  Almost universally the buyers of those were Americans with less than 5% bought by other nationalities. Did not seem to matter which site they were listed on, only Americans wanted most of them. Eventually, after 3 or 4 years the buyers seemed to thin out so I decided to forget about that product line for awhile. Probably should try them on another venue.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If you often  shop on ebay then yes, you would probably search here first but there are many people who always do a google search first and then go to the site(s) where they find that item available.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It will be interesting to see if the recent FP/GTC changeover will make any difference ,since the claim is that it will make our FP items more prominent in Google.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I don’t have this problem. I list exclusively on eBay.ca and have since the beginning; 85 per cent of my buyers in the past 30 days have been American.

It must be a peculiarity to selling CDs.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
I don’t have this problem. I list exclusively on eBay.ca and have since the beginning; 85 per cent of my buyers in the past 30 days have been American.

It must be a peculiarity to selling CDs.

No it's not.......US buyers represented about 50% of my sales from 2001 - 2009 (all listings on .com) and they represented about 50% of my sales from 2009 - 2019 (all listings on .ca).

The only change over the years is that overseas International sales have declined and Canadian sales have increased, but that is unrelated to which site I was listing on.

I am more of a vinyl/tape seller than cd these days but it's a very similar market.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The last few weeks my sales have gone up significantly and almost all my sales have been to Canadians...  which is great as far as I am concerned.. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply