USPS Hazardous Materials Requirements in Effect Now

An FYI that for anyone that sells items containing pre-owned, damaged, or defective electronic devices with lithium batteries and either ships with CP to USA or via a forwarder.

Announcement on dot com July 13, 2022: (Full announcement below. Please note smart ship tip.)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/USPS-Hazardous-Materials-Requirements-in-Effect-Now/ba-p...

-Lotz

USPS announced changes to shipping hazardous materials. These changes limit the services that can be used when shipping pre-owned, damaged, or defective electronic devices with lithium batteries. 

Sellers who ship these items with lithium batteries must send them via ground transportation services as they can no longer be sent by air transportation. Acceptable services include USPS Retail Ground or Parcel Select.

USPS has also published new requirements for separation of packages containing hazardous materials. As USPS provides additional details and FAQs on the recent changes, we will update this post. 

Smart Ship Tip: Remember, pre-negotiated rates for a full-range of shipping options, including USPS Parcel Select Ground service, are available on eBay Labels for all eBay sellers. 

As always, thank you for selling on eBay. 

The Shipping Team 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Good luck to chitChats users since they don't offer Parcel Select ground in their label service. Not using them at this time (although I'm grandfathered so I can use my own labels) so it doesn't affect me. Have created a label with all the correct info as per USPS requirements, am good to go! Wondering how this will work for those using CP?
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@cottagewoman wrote:

Wondering how this will work for those using CP?

Expedited Parcel-USA is a ground service.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@cottagewoman wrote:
Good luck to chitChats users since they don't offer Parcel Select ground in their label service. Not using them at this time (although I'm grandfathered so I can use my own labels) so it doesn't affect me. Have created a label with all the correct info as per USPS requirements, am good to go! Wondering how this will work for those using CP?

@cottagewoman 

In checking the CP website there is no option noted for Dangerous goods shipments. There is a disclaimer when you sign in that states the following:

Do you ship dangerous goods using the Limited Quantities Exemption? The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations have been updated. As of January 1st, 2021, the black and white diamond safety mark is the only acceptable limited quantity identifier. For more information, please refer to the regulations.

At Shippo you get the following.

Compliant account with UPS or FedEx is required. For more info, visit our FAQ.

FAQ

https://support.goshippo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042823431#h_8562d244-5d37-4896-bf54-f7b237f9d74c

As a heads up shipping any dangerous goods cross border and or in Canada would take a learning curve  and have additional costs involved.

Regulations Gov of Canada attached for Lithium batteries.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-goods/shipping-importing-devices-containing-lithium-batteries

-Lotz

Note: In a quick check of eBay labels I don't even see an option for hazardous goods..Canada or USA.

Note 2: Nothing on the dot ca announcement page.

velvet@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@cottagewoman wrote:

@cottagewoman 

In checking the CP website there is no option noted for Dangerous goods shipments. There is a disclaimer when you sign in that states the following:

Do you ship dangerous goods using the Limited Quantities Exemption? The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations have been updated. As of January 1st, 2021, the black and white diamond safety mark is the only acceptable limited quantity identifier. For more information, please refer to the regulations.

At Shippo you get the following.

Compliant account with UPS or FedEx is required. For more info, visit our FAQ.

FAQ

https://support.goshippo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042823431#h_8562d244-5d37-4896-bf54-f7b237f9d74c

As a heads up shipping any dangerous goods cross border and or in Canada would take a learning curve  and have additional costs involved.

Regulations Gov of Canada attached for Lithium batteries.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-goods/shipping-importing-devices-containing-lithium-batteries

-Lotz

Note: In a quick check of eBay labels I don't even see an option for hazardous goods..Canada or USA.

Note 2: Nothing on the dot ca announcement page.

velvet@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hey @lotzofuniquegoodies! I reached out to our shipping team and when it comes to shipping hazardous goods through USPS they said: 

"Parcel Select Ground is available via eBay Labels, and sellers who are shipping hazardous materials that meet USPS requirements can use this service and purchase those labels on eBay Labels."

Please let me know if there is more information you are needing! 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

devon@ebay 

The concern would be a Canadian seller shipping these types of items to the USA or Internationally. We do not have access to USPS but items with Canadapost would get handed off to USPS after they cleared customs. By reviewing the notes in some cases UPS which many sellers would not have accounts with.

Nothing about this was posted on dot ca.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay 

The concern would be a Canadian seller shipping these types of items to the USA or Internationally. We do not have access to USPS but items with Canadapost would get handed off to USPS after they cleared customs. By reviewing the notes in some cases UPS which many sellers would not have accounts with.

Nothing about this was posted on dot ca.

-Lotz

Thank you for the additional information @lotzofuniquegoodies. I will reach out to our Canadian shipping team and once I get an update from them I will be sure to share. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply