USPS - Still doing Signature Confirmation?

Does anyone know if signature confirmation is still a thing in the states? We're currently not shipping as its some precarious ATM (we stand in solidarity) and with mid-range priced items ($250-$2000) we can't take a chance with any shipping that doesn't meet the regular USPS standard of care, which in our experience has been favourable.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Apparently not.

Social distancing and protection of the workers.

Not sure if any of the couriers are still taking signatures either.

Best bet might be a PO box delivery, where if it is bulky the recipient has to show ID at the counter and always needs a key for the box itself.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected 

With safe drop now being the norm with mail services especially on larger packages another option with USPS would be anyone expecting a parcel signing up for informed delivery. 

informeddelivery.usps.com

Not perfect, but atleast you know if you were to get a notification your parcel had been dropped off. Not everyone checks their front step every 5 minutes for a parcel. If I know I am expecting a parcel I always make sure to put a note on my door to either ring bell or not leave on front step.  Unless you have a secure location.

Requesting DO NOT SAFE DROP should be an option when you place an order with any business if you do not feel it is safe to do so.

-Lotz

PS. Anyone else miss the days when you knew your postal carrier and your carrier knew every resident on their route?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies it is a relief to be able to request do not safe drop on the regular purchase form with CPC. Does USPS offer this service? ... We use eBay Shipping to purchase US labels and have not seen the option there... can it be found elsewhere? or is it there and it's just been missed?

Ha, the nosy post master trope; in our town that is likely still near the case. At least for the regulars.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I think knowing your carrier was only a thing in small towns with a small postal work force.

Both in Ottawa and here in Victoria, our carriers would change every year or so, not counting times they got injured.
And at some times, there would be a substitute from the pool at Christmas or when deliveries were heavy.
When they had time to stop, the carriers all have known roughly who they were delivering to, but only those who are actually at home.  Housespouse, nanny, elderly or invalid. Not the working age parent.

do not safe drop ... Does USPS offer this service? ...

I understand they do, but it isn't called that.

The shipper can write it on the package too.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Do you know what it is called at USPS? I've DuckDuckGo'd it but nothing's coming up.

Time to invest in new stickers. Is it binding if it is written? Or just considered a friendly request?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Re: 

do not safe drop ... Does USPS offer this service? ...

I understand they do, but it isn't called that.

The shipper can write it on the package too.

They may offer it but they rarely abide by it when requested. From past experiences with them they almost never spend much time looking for a safe place to drop packages. And leaving on a front step is an invitation for anyone passing by to help themselves. It's very likely in their hurry to deliver they don't really read those bonus instructions.

As for Canpar very similar history. I had a package arrive yesterday with them. I knew it was arriving sometime during the day but time was any time before 6 PM. Put note on door Either ring bell or deliver over side gate. Arrived mid afternoon on front step but scan states delivered to side door. Go figure.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

Do you know what it is called at USPS? I've DuckDuckGo'd it but nothing's coming up.

Is it binding if it is written? Or just considered a friendly request?

Closest delivery request I see for USPS is  "hold for pickup"

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Closest delivery request I see for USPS is  "hold for pickup"

That is correct. Hold for pickup is an optional extra and the closest equivalent for do not safe drop, has to be selected as part of the USPS domestic shipping providers label options. No fee applicable for it, but not every US domestic electronic postage provider is setup for it. Not sure if they have an equivalent pass through for international postal services.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Probably worth getting out the black Sharpie and printing HOLD FOR PICKUP on the parcel even so.

It might not work, but if you don't do it, they won't hold it.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

It would be encouraging for eBay to incorporate a "Hold for Pickup" check-box option through the USPS label creation form.

This would be especially helpful during what is clearly uncertain postal situations in the states. And especially for parcel drops to apartment buildings etc where the drop is often on the floor in the lobby or even on the floor outside the key entry doors.

@femmefan1946 As we start to engage the sharpie shall be employed.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply