Unintentinal 'Return Accepted' & fraudulent buyer

Hi. Sorry for the length of this question but...

i recently received a return request on a vintage turntable, even though the  listing stated no returns and that i chose no returns when the listing was created.  When i went to see the details the screen flashed and the next thing i know it shows i have accepted the return! i in no way intended to accept and as i intended to work with the buyer.

The buyer claimed it was not working and a part was broken. It is impossible to break the part in question without other damage or trauma to the package, but no such claim was made. He then provided three photos (via eBay) that inadvertently proves that he broke it (two show it in tact and a third broken). 

i was able to show the buyer that the turntable works (beautifully), but there is still the matter of the broken piece (he tore the headshell out without unscrewing the locking collar) . It is an expensive turntable and packing it for safe surface shipping to Korea (12 weeks!) took me a long time with thought. i know he cannot re-pack it safely and insurance won't cover inadequate packing.

i am confident it will arrive damaged and even if not, the headshell is rare and the whole arm will likely need rewiring. i will basically be out $500-$600CAD.  EBay claims there is nothing i can do about it. Essentially,  i must accept the return, even though my listing repeatedly states no returns and i in no way intentionally clicked the accept button.

Is it just me or is this insane?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I also inadvertently accepted a return request.

In my case the buyer mistook my item for someone elses item. I was actually on the phone with the buyer and I sent him a message within the return so that the "control" of the return request was back in his hands.

Somehow after that I also almost immediately inadvertently accepted the request, it looks as though the acceptance button is pre-highlighted/picked and anything like hitting enter causes it to go ahead.

My situation was different from yours but maybe they shouldn't pre highlight the return automagically, I'll copy tyler@ebay with that thought.

This doesn't help you unfortunately but it might help others down the road.....

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thanks. eBay even acknowledged that this situation is not new to them.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

i believe you can still try to rectify it with your buyer,  if they are looking for a partial refund for the damage etc. if you agree on a number, the buyer can then close the return process.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thanks.

Even though the unit does work (contrary to his initial claim) and he subsequently broke a part, i did offer $25CAD as a gesture to help him replace the damaged item. Haven't heard back yet.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@fine-eclectic 

even though the listing stated no returns and that i chose no returns when the listing was created.

You do realize that what you are saying is that if the buyer doesn't like the item, and files a Not As Described dispute, you are fine with refunding without getting your item back, right?

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

i didn't, but thanks for pointing that out. While i don't often sell items with no returns, over the years there have been a number.  Will be aware of it in the future (if i have a future here).

In this case, the buyer did not file a Not As Described claim, they simply requested a return and the issue grew out of the fact that the return 'somehow' was accepted, which i did not actually want to do.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Generally, and there are always exceptions, it is best to have those requests go through the eBay Resolution Centre.

It puts the customer on eBay's radar, and some will not want that, ending the 'request' on the spot.

The high cost of international return shipping, whether it is paid by the buyer or the seller, also may encourage a sketchey customer to rethink his 'request'.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Do you know if that can still be done after a return has been 'accepted'?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Just had a look and there doesn't appear to be any way to introduce this kind of problem, but thanks again.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @ricarmic!

Hi @fine-eclectic - a return has several options within it: send the buyer a message, accept the return, ask eBay to step in, etc. It's possible that the option to accept the return was checked or marked at some point while you were communicating with the buyer.

Once accepted, we don't have a way to rescind that with the buyer - as they've already been told they are able to return the item for a refund. If it is an international sale and the return reason was a not as described reason (missing parts or pieces, defective, arrived damaged) we will expect you to provide a means of return. In most situations that would be a label you purchase and send to the buyer, or proof of funds sent to them via PayPal to cover the cost of return shipping. 

As you are the one paying for the return shipping, you are absolutely able to stipulate that insurance is purchased (provided you give them means to purchase it) on the shipment back. 

If we are asked to step into this return and  no return postage is provided, it's possible that we will allow the buyer to keep the item as well as receive a refund. 

If you feel that they are abusing the returns process please report them to us for review through the return (click the drop down next to 'Return details' and select 'Report Buyer'). Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thank-you for your reply.

As was stated, i in no way intended to accept the return, don't know how it was accepted and during my long discussion with an eBay manager (who acknowledge that this was not the first he had heard this) i had explained that the buyer had provided pics through eBay that show the item had not arrived damaged and also that the buyer later acknowledged that the item did in fact work, aside from damage he caused.

Having stated that, do you know if reporting a buyer can have an affect after the the return was 'accepted'?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

and given i stand to lose a lot, much time is consumed and bad energy generated, and months i will have to wait to receive an item that most certainly will be damaged in transit (packing was very labour intensive/difficult) and no insurance will cover improper packing. 

Seems to me that eBay could easily have implemented a measure to prevent this, i.e. back button before proceeding with accept; in my case, a quick follow-up to the buyer indicating an error had occurred and that the seller will be in contact, or other.  Over the years i have encountered numerous glitches/errors at eBay's end that they dealt with after the fact. Again, this is not new to eBay.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply