Urgent WWYD shipping a CD to Hawaii

Hi I normally use Chit Chats for my shipping sending CD's media mail (ground).  When the mailing address is either in Hawaii or Alaska, I used to upgrade it to first class so it could go airmail.  Well now there isn't first class, it all goes by USPS Ground Advantage, does that mean it goes by boat.  Or should I use Canada Post special rate, WWYD?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi I normally use Chit Chats for my shipping sending CD's media mail (ground).  When the mailing address is either in Hawaii or Alaska, I used to upgrade it to first class so it could go airmail.  Well now there isn't first class, it all goes by USPS Ground Advantage, does that mean it goes by boat.  Or should I use Canada Post special rate, WWYD?

These are the details about ground advantage from their website. It is supposed to appy to all 50 states etc.

How it works

USPS Ground Advantage, available to retail and commercial customers, is a better fit by combining three existing USPS® services into one comprehensive product. It is a perfect option for shippers of all sizes who want affordable domestic ground shipping to all 50 states, U.S. military bases, territories, possessions, and Freely Associated States.

(

How long does USPS Parcel Select ground take to Hawaii?

Expected delivery in 2–5 business days. Packages going to certain places (including Alaska, Hawaii, and offshore destinations), or containing hazardous materials or live animals may receive slower service." Sep 2, 2023

First Class Mail: You're sending a letter envelope (under 3.5 oz) or large envelope (under 13 oz) that's flat and bends easily.

Media Mail®:  You're sending only books (or other eligible media) and want the most affordable price.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Send it Ground Advantage, under 15.99oz it's just a new name for First Class Package with supposedly a 1 day difference in the delivery standard.

Personally I haven't seen ANY additional delivery time for GA over the old FCP.

For a single CD I never use Media Mail, the price difference isn't very much at all. I only use Media Mail if the weight is over 8oz.

I can tell you one thing for sure, the sub 16oz GA does not go via surface unless it's a nearby zone and lately much of my Media Mail to Zone 8 is flying (must be because it's only taking 24 - 36 hours to get from Rochester NY to California).

I don't know how ChitChats operates on the west coast but if there is additional time it would apply to every USPS service they offer.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Well I got my response from Chit Chats.  

hawaii.jpg

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Without knowing the exact question you asked ChitChats I can't say if ChitChats doesn't have a clue or not (looks that way).

It's not clear to me why you would have to ask them any question, shipping via ChitChats to Hawaii is no different than shipping to ANY US State.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

When I went to purchase shipping for Hawaii on Chit Chats, it showed it as $6 for USPS Ground Advantage mail to Hawaii, normally for media mail it is $7.44.  Just didn't make sense so this is what I sent to Chit Chats.

"Hi, I normally use media mail (I sell CD's) to the US but if the customer is in Hawaii or Alaska or Puerto Rico, I used to upgrade that to first class. As there is no first class anymore, what do I use? Keeping in mind that the CD is only worth about $10. Should I be using Chit Chats Edge, or media mail? I need to send this out on Thurs so any help would be appreciated."

I ended up going through Canada Post and it was $8+ .   I just didn't want it to be stuck on a ship.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

despite what many believe "surface" mail is not necessarily mail by "boat"/"ship"...it is non-priorized mail and is sorted/handled,dealt with as is, whereis,when is, how is, but still may go on a plane...eventually....

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

As there is no first class anymore

Ground Advantage under 15.99oz IS First Class Package, all USPS did was change the name and combine it with Parcel Select (Retail Ground for over the counter).

Ground Advantage 1lb  and higher MIGHT go via ground to some destinations (local zones), I doubt that any USPS service actually goes by ship to HI or AK, maybe Bulk Admail, Bound Publications or Library Mail.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply