WOW. INR situation, the other kind of buyer..... :-)

I think sometimes these boards become too depressing so I'm sharing the opposite problem we usually have with buyers.

Buyer bought 3 items (lettermail) back in early November (within Canada), all were shipped together.

Middle of December they let me know they didn't arrive yet.

Sent buyer a version of my form letter, they agreed to wait into the new year to see if they arrived.

Didn't arrive. Buyer was happy to have me try sending a replacement (which I happen to have for two of the items). I asked if it was ok to send only one replacement first to see if I could even get anything there ok (the last time I tried with an IRN situation in Canada the ONLY way to get items to the buyer was to send them with tracking).

Anyway, sent the one item, got there in normal quick time.

Yesterday buyer advises received and to send along the 2nd one and not to worry about the one I can't replace. (ie they were fine to burn on the item I couldn't replace didn't want a refund - that's where the WOW factor comes in).

I found more than enough other stuff that I think they'll like to cover off the item I couldn't replace, no way was I going to let them burn.....

Thought it would be nice to share the "other kind" (aka awesome) of buyer.....

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Wow is certainly the word for this.  How lovely to have such an understanding buyer!  

By the way, where (general terms) was the problematic destination?  It's hard to believe Canada Post could fail to deliver at all after so much time.  Do you think theft is a possibility?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Recent buyer was in Toronto, only about 2 hours from me!

In both this and the earlier situation, I do expect the stamps on the outside of the package may have caused the problem.... I put on nice stamps, and in this current example it was a nice $1.80 hockey souvenir sheet (they look like a hockey card).

In the earlier example I tried (and failed) a second time time without tracking. After that just to see if it worked sent one tracked (the item was only worth $15 so the tracking was almost as much as the item). Subsequently for about a year, the buyer and I split the cost of putting tracking on. After that we tried some without tracking and they have been fine since. That also leads me to believe someone, likely someone close to the buyer was pilfering them.

Note that in my world the buyers are more open to upgrading shipping costs to include tracking because often the stamps I put on the package have a "resale" value the same as the original postage amount, so it doesn't "cost" them anything if the stamps are useful to them.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

And of course, philately is a 'handshake' hobby. I've mentioned the American Philatelic Society's circuit books from time to time, where members send booklets of sometimes quite valuable stamps, around from member to member, noting what they have taken on an honour system.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I put on nice stamps, and in this current example it was a nice $1.80 hockey souvenir sheet (they look like a hockey card).

Oh boy, nothing like hockey memorabilia to entice a thief.  It would be interesting if your original parcel ever shows up -- minus the stamps on the exterior perhaps?   

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

That's a really nice buyer you have!

If I may vent, I mailed a book to virginia early December via letter post. The buyer, also a seller herself, were patient enough to wait 4 weeks. Then she asked me for a tracking number and I told her that tracking would've costed $16 so it wasn't feasible for a $22 "free" shipping book, and asked her to wait a couple more weeks. She said that would push her past the 45 days mark then I wouldn't refund her. I then told her that I would refund if it doesn't arrive then, and reminded her that paypal's buyer protection is actually 180 days and as a seller it's something she should be aware of. During the messages she also firmly believed that the book was lost because her other purchases during the same week have all arrived except mine.

Anyhow, 35 days after shipped date, the book arrived and she gave me a positive feedback and thanked me for my responsiveness, however; she also gave me a late defect - my one and only late defect in 2016. I thanked her for the positive feedback but also asked her if she was aware, as a seller, that the late defect actually punishs me and not the postal system that took 5 weeks to deliver her book. The post mark on the envelope should also indicate that I shipped within 2 days of payment. She didn't respond further, so I'm inclined to think that she did it knowingly because it took so long. 

EBay's estimated delivery date for the book was Dec 16-22 with my 5 days handling time. I shipped another book the same day and that arrived right before the new year but that US buyer didn't give me a late defect. I have blocked said Virginia buyer now but also am wondering if I should further extend my handling time to two weeks...... because judging from my late defect bar, I can only afford to have three defects a year, so I'd have to hope that I don't get two more in the next 12 months =\

On my own buying end, I also had a lot of delays (things that normally takes 2-3 weeks now taking 5-8weeks to arrive from Japan) so I'm also wondering why...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hi Zee!

These darned delivery times are really a pain.

I'd like to offer the vice-versa perspective...

I've seen a number of people mentioning that they're extending their handling time a significant amount in an effort to protect themselves from defects. 

However, if a buyer looks at an item with a 2 week handling time (which is added to the delivery time), how many buyers might one lose because they see that as too extreme? This is especially true because all buyers are affected by it, as it affects local as well as international buyers. Losing potential local buyers at the expense of international buyers might not be "cost effective"?

I did some (very rough) calculations, and if you did exceed the 3%, the TRS loss costs you about $4 a month? 

I've asked several times if anyone has ever gone over the 5% and had any impact from doing so and nobody has advised they have so far. Ebay was clear that they "may" take action if one goes over the 5% but who knows what may really means.

I don't know, I think sometimes we over worry on these, however so far I've been lucky, folks that should have defected me haven't although I have some that have too.

My current game plan is to only block people from international locations that presumably would always be a problem. I haven't blocked anyone from a late defect perspective for many months now.

I plan to try to worry as little as I can manage (I am a born worrier, if I'm not worrying about something that worries me!) till I go over the 3% mark. If I do, and it looks like the 5% is going to be hit, I'll probably call my special support pals I get with my anchor store subscription to get the scoop..... on what "may" really means....

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

However, if a buyer looks at an item with a 2 week handling time (which is added to the delivery time), how many buyers might one lose because they see that as too extreme?

I have 5 day handling time and I ship Economy shipping from outside the USA (estimated within 16-28 business days).

Never had a problem with a buyer or lack of buyers. Buyers will look at "feedback" first and see "fast shipping" mentioned throughout.

Buyers are also blown away when they receive their package in 7-10 days of the purchase date.

I use Tracked Packet for all my shipments..... 

PROTECT your Seller Account first and don't worry about how potential customers will perceive things.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

EBay's estimated delivery date for the book was Dec 16-22 with my 5 days handling time. I shipped another book the same day and that arrived right before the new year but that US buyer didn't give me a late defect. I have blocked said Virginia buyer now but also am wondering if I should further extend my handling time to two weeks...... because judging from my late defect bar, I can only afford to have three defects a year, so I'd have to hope that I don't get two more in the next 12 months

You might be confusing defects and late shipment rates. In order for it to affect your trs status you would need to have more than 5 late shipments and more than 5%

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've asked several times if anyone has ever gone over the 5% and had any impact from doing so and nobody has advised they have so far. Ebay was clear that they "may" take action if one goes over the 5% but who knows what may really means.

I don't know, I think sometimes we over worry on these, however so far I've been lucky, folks that should have defected me haven't although I have some that have too.

My current game plan is to only block people from international locations that presumably would always be a problem. I haven't blocked anyone from a late defect perspective for many months now.

I feel the same way. It's been more than a year and it seems that very few have actually been affected by this.  Some have mentioned that the only reason they haven't been affected is because they use more tracking, extended handling times, and/or switched to showing economy shipping etc etc.  But there are also some who have not changed anything or changed very little and they haven't been affected either.   I also have late  shipment dings but not enough to really matter right now so unless it looks like it might become a problem for me, I don't think it would be good business for me to make changes 'just in case.'

I do realize that receiving or not receiving late shipment marks can often be a matter of luck but since most of us on the boards have been quite lucky then perhaps the system really isn't set up as poorly as we may have thought.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply