WWYD or Say??

Item # 202307639427.  A buyer in Canada in the interior of BC has sent me numerous emails.  I have the item on sale for $8.99 US with $3.00 US shipping within Canada or free PU.  His first email he said that he will pay $10 CDN to include free shipping.  I told him No, a few weeks later he sent me another email that his son lives in Vancouver and would I take $10 CDN.  Nothing about PU, I supposed he expects me to deliver it to his son (not at 1.61 a litre).  He just emailed me that he was coming down to Vancouver and would meet me, nothing about payment.

If he wants to buy it, pay for it in US funds on ebay, it is only about $11.50 Cdn, and choose free pick up.  He can then pick it up from me.  I'm not selling it outside of ebay and not in Canadian.

I should also mention that he is a seller too,  all his items are listed and sold in US funds.  $750, $1,495, 350, 430, 195, you get my drift.  He currently has a tire thermometer listed for $1,995 US.

How cheap can you be.  I should have blocked him after the 2nd email.  

What would you do?  I was thinking that I just want to tell him that if he wants it to buy it now, US funds and choose free pu.  I also do not want to drive all over the Vancouver area to drop it off.  I want him to pick it up from me or somewhere close to me.   How would you word it.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

WWYD or Say??

amcdc79
Community Member

I would go with what your spidey sense is telling you and block him, sounds like a pita buyer, so I would not negotiate with him anymore.

That said, keeping everything on ebay,

I would look at his feedback left for other sellers, if squeaky clean, then maybe give him the option of paying full price plus shipping in USD's through PayPal. Or

Paying full price in USD's through PayPal, with the PU venue, being your choice, and close to home. 

Over the years I have met a few buyers at a place where I'm known, that is busy but not crowded. I have them sign a receipt, and take a photo of them with the item on my phone. Never had a problem.

Good luck

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

I’d probably avoid responding any further or selling to this person but if I did, it would be the CAD equivalent* of the USD price in Cash on Pickup by Appointment, and to meet in a neutral location. Close to you, not him. At your convenience, not his. Like give him two dates and three times from which to choose and the meeting place of your choice.

*Pick the mid-market conversion via Bank of Canada. The buyer cannot argue with Bank of Canada currency conversion rates.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

And keep it on eBay, of course. Simply the nature of all the back-and-forth discussion between you will arouse the suspicion of the bots that monitor this. Plus, you want to know that you can prove you played it by the books if the transaction were to go pear-shaped.

I’d still probably avoid selling to this person at all. I don’t appreciate the pushy types.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

I'd block and move on. IMO nothing on eBay is a necessity, so if the seller isn't offering "Best Offer", don't be annoying and make an offer like that.

The only time that I think is appropriate to message a seller (who didn't have "best offer" on) with an offer would be when I'm interested in getting multiple items from the seller, but if the seller said no, then I either buy less items at listed price or move on. I don't bug them twice.

That, and I won't deal with pick up for a $10 item, but since you already had it stated in your listing then I guess you have to offer pick up... heck, I don't even deal with pick up for a $80 item. Sleep is essential for shift workers and I do not have spare time for meeting up potential buyers. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

I would avoid it as well but mainly because I don’t think that  it is a good use of my time to leave the house to meet someon who may or may not show up for a  $10 sale.  But that’s just me...I’m just not into the pickup mode.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

Good points. Meeting someone somewhere is very time-consuming, I’ve only done it three times over six years that I can recall. My Local Pickups come to my house but my situation is different in that I’m not ever there alone, without another adult for safety and/or peace of mind. Plus, we had big dogs six years ago when I started offering it on Request. Also, I don’t have anything for sale for less than $13 or so and most of the time a buyer isn’t going to want to drive here to save $2 in postage for that anyway. Most of my items have a higher asking price and associated postage price.

I’ve only had someone not show for a Local Pickup once. Some buyers arrive very early and some very late. About 50 percent are punctual, so I’ve learned to be ready early and stay ready after the appointment time has come and gone. I’ve had buyers lost, pick the wrong house, forget my address and their phone so I block an hour for each one which is more time-consuming than a trek to the postal counter but, on the bright side, it’s cash to spend.

Also, I struggle to maintain a float to make change at the door. It gets raided for tooth fairy money et cetera so that’s a bit of a drawback.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

"Also, I struggle to maintain a float to make change at the door. It gets raided for tooth fairy money et cetera so that’s a bit of a drawback"

This problem occurs regularly around here. Each of my inventory "prospecting" runs begin with me sifting through the spare change jar... usually lucky to find enough coin for coffee lol.

OP... I agree with the others... if possible avoid this buyer.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

Minimum wage in BC is 18 cents a minute.

Never mind the astonishing price for gas. Or Skytrain fare.

It is faster and cheaper to use the mails.

Since you know the guy's ID, at this point I would be ignoring and deleting any Messages from him. And of course you have already Blocked him.

PITA.

(I assume you already researched the item, and it is nothing particularly special?)

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

WWYD or Say??

Thanks for all the advice.  I blocked the person and also took down the listing.  I will relist it in a couple of days.  Hopefully he will get the hint.  I may just relist it only shipping to the US.  I was the cheapest CD on ebay for this one.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply