WWYD - re Item condition

I sell CD's and take pride in the condition of my CD's.  I use the Goldmine Standard for classifing CD's:

Goldmine Grading System

MEDIA GRADING

MINT

CD: Perfect.  Never been played. No scratches

Near Mint (NM or M-)
CD: Near Perfect - No  signs of wear

Very Good Plus (VG+)
CD: Has been played. A few minor scuffs/scratches.

Very Good (VG)
CD: Quite a few light scuffs/scratches, or several more-pronounced scratches. This has obviously been played, but not handled as
carefully as a VG+.
Good (G), Good Plus (G+)
CD: There are a lot of scuffs/scratches. However it will still play through without problems. This has not been handled with much care at all.

My CD's are either New (still wrapped) or Near Mint which I use for like new most of the time.  I also sell some Very Good +(+) CD's.  I list in the description the condition and if there are any flaws.  I sold a CD to someone in England yesterday and as I was packing it up today.  I noticed there there were a few scratches, more than I would like.  I did note that in the description.   "Used CD in very good plus condition. Shows some signs of being played – some very (minor) light scratches and scuffs on CD, does not affect play. Works perfectly, tested on EAC just to be sure. Artwork excellent."  

I tested it on EAC to make sure there were no errors and I just sent it off today so the buyer is not complaining.   If I was to grade that same CD right now, I would have taken off one of the +'s and just listed it as VG+.  It is still very good, but not as good as some I sell.  This is a buyer that also has only a few feedback 13 and has never given any feedback.   I was thinking of emailing them and giving them a refund of $2 but I don't know what to say.   Or should I just leave it?

What do you think?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

WWYD - re Item condition

"I was thinking of emailing them and giving them a refund of $2 but I don't know what to say. Or should I just leave it?"

I believe the idea of giving a partial refund of $2.00 is a good one; just say that you had slightly overestimate the quality of the CD but it is in VG+ instead of VG++. Most buyers will understand and appreciate your honesty. It is not like going from Near Mint to only Good...in this case a full refund is in order. A partial refund might give you returning customer. Don't ignore your error. That come from a CD reseller/competitor. 🙂 good luck!
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

WWYD - re Item condition

Step One-- Don't poke a sleeping bear.

Step Two--If the buyer is unhappy, offer an immediate discount or even a full refund of the selling (but not shipping) price.

Step Three-- But since you tested it and it plays fine, see Step One.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

WWYD - re Item condition

Exactly as really says, everything should be fine with no intervention.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

WWYD - re Item condition

I would leave well enough alone. The buyer may just be happy with the condition of the cd as it is. But if you mention anything else, they may become more fussy & want a partial refund. If there is an issue with the condition later, then you can deal with it.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

WWYD - re Item condition

Update - Item delivered a few days ago to buyer, and would you believe he bought another one today.  I guess he was happy with the condition. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply