WWYD re address?

On my other ID I sold a CD to a new buyer that just registered today, her address was in Texas.  I packed up the CD and purchased chit chat shipping.  A few hours later I get a message from another ID (not the same) again registered today stating that they " i picked the wrong address i am so sorry!"  this address is in Maryland.  I sent an email off to the buyer's ID to clarify and also to the one ID that sent me the address change to clarify.  Am I being scammed here?  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

WWYD re address?

Are they asking you to ship to an address other than what is on the eBay order? If so, then this is most likely a classic address scam, which will result in an INR and you losing the case because you didn't ship to the address on the order, even if you provide tracking. If anything, tell the customer you can cancel the order and they can re-purchase it using the correct address. Either way, proceed with caution. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

WWYD re address?

Yes the other ID is asking to ship to a different address.  Both ID's set up today.  I sent an email to both ID's and will wait for a response.  If no response I will cancel due to address issue.   Just seems fishy.  If you set up your ID today wouldn't you put in the correct address?   

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

WWYD re address?

I agree, something is certainly fishy about this one, especially if it's a different profile asking to change the address for a transaction purchased on another profile. I'm curious what explanation they have haha. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

WWYD re address?

Your CDs are scarce and valuable enough that I agree they should not be mailed until the address is cleared up.

And Problem With Address is a lifesaver for sellers.

I have some hope that Managed Payments will make it more difficult to hijack abandoned accounts, but since buyers are still using PP, it won't make any difference to those scammers.

OTOH someone was pointing out that since losses to scammers now have a greater effect on eBay directly (since they will no longer be using PP to ameliorate out of pocket refunds) there may be some relief there.

Or maybe I'm just a **bleep**-eyed optimist, immature and incureably green.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

WWYD re address?

Yes, this one was $18 plus shipping, so not a cheap CD.  I checked the original address used and there is a family with the same name at that original address.  If this is an address hijack, this is a new one for me.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

WWYD re address?

If this was an expensive item such as an iPhone or laptop, I would guess that the message from the 2nd ID was not from the buyer as that is a fairly common scam.  But I don't see that happening with a CD.   In this case it might be that the item was purchased with a guest ID and that the buyer didn't know how to or couldn't send a message with a guest so they signed up for regular eBay ID to send one.

Ive sent inexpensive items to a different address and never had a problem though I've always been contacted by the original buyers ID so I can understand why you would be questioning it.   If I was convinced that it was the actual buyer who wanted the address changed, I would probably do it but since I probably wouldn't be using tracking, I reallly wouldn't have anything to lose.  If you're uncomfortable doing that, you should cancel using problem with address and ask the buyer to repurchase with the correct address.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

WWYD re address?

Well, I have sent 3 emails, called her on the telephone and left a message, # is in Texas.   I am going to cancel the postage, cancel the item and relist.  Had she contacted me on her regular ID, not registered the day of the purchase, I would have treated this differently.    Something to watch out for.  Maybe because I am using an ID that only has a few feedback, they thought that they could pull a fast one.  Little do they know I have 20 years experience on ebay. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

WWYD re address?

I agree with the cancellation. Something definitely feels odd about this one for several reasons as you've outlined. You've done your due diligence to try to resolve with no willingness from the customer so cancel that sucker! 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply