What?? I got a return request for something that hasn't even been shipped yet???

This is very confusing, I got a return request moments ago for an item that hasn't even been shipped yet. (the reason is a changed mind reason).

I'm surprised that is even possible to open a return request for something not shipped, it should send them to a cancellation instead.

I'll have to look around at the options, the only frustrating part is it will count in my return count when it really shouldn't.

I've got stuff on the go for a bit, stay tuned for updates!!!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What?? I got a return request for something that hasn't even been shipped yet???

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago. The dreaded buyers remorse. They decided after paying the 30 bucks for the transaction wasn't in their budget. Problem was I had already packaged and created the label for the item. Would have gone in the mail the next morning. After confirming "their reason" had to give them the refund and cancel the label and then wait the 14 days for the credit. Apparently being over efficient is a bad thing. Live and learn.

-Lotz (aka CM)

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Buyers only have 1 hour to request a cancellation through the system, after that they have to contact the seller directly or open a return request which is often the simplest route to go.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Wow recp, hey the things one learns here, I had no idea of that.

It certainly explains why I "always" get a message when a buyer wants to cancel, they've always been over the 1 hour mark.

Good news on this one, I called my CSR support buddies and something like this happened:

-the did something to bounce the request so it forced the buyer to do a return (which they can't do because it has never been mailed) I got notifcation that I opened a case.

-I refunded the money directly from PAYPAL via the PAYPAL transaction

-I gave the paypal refund transaction id to the fellow on the phone

-he closed it and marked it as item refunded so I got my fees back.

Quite a pain though, I think they should give buyers until the item is shipped to request a cancellation, it makes no sense to wait only an hour. This buyer took 2 days.

I'm also going to check my reporting to make sure I don't get dinged with the fictitious return, just out of principle.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Since it was a remorse return it won’t be on your service metrics.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

And best part, you shouldn't have to arrange for return shipping!! 🙂

-Lotz

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Cancelling (by buyers) is easier on eBay than almost any site I've seen. Most ecommerce sites don't have any capability at all although if you call customer service you might be able to cancel if you are REALLY fast.

There are a couple of large merchants I've bought from where your order is picked and packed within an hour of purchase, might still be on the loading dock but it's been fully processed and that loading dock might be hundreds of miles from where the sales department is located.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @ricarmic - glad to hear that things got sorted out after a call to CS! I want to confirm that what @pjcdn2005 said is accurate: this won't count on your Service Metrics if they opened it with a remorse reason (changed my mind, just don't want it anymore, found at a better price, etc). 

Keep an eye out and let us know if you see anything odd crop up. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply