What happened to Canada Post's light packet option?

Hi all,

I read the CP and ebay information regarding the end of small packet surface mail, as well as the end of the included insurance in small packet airmail shipments.

However, lately whenever I pop over to the CP website to get an estimate for shipping, even if the package size and weight is within the light packet restrictions, light packet is not shown as an option. What gives? I though they were just getting rid of small packet surface.

I have been able to choose light packet as a shipping option through PayPal, but is that about to go the way of all things as well?  When items are light and inexpensive I always prefer using the light packet option because it is quite a bit less expensive than small packet so it is more attractive to buyers.

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Heather

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: What happened to Canada Post's light packet option?

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You did not fordeit your discount.   The exact same discount is available whether you start on PP or ebsy.  Despite what eBay said would be happening, this has never changed.   If you check your original thread about this you'll see that others have noticed this as well.

Well, all I can tell you is that there was about a $2 difference between the shipping cost shown when I started from the eBay link, and the amount I actually paid when I used the direct link from within the Paypal transaction.  

Mind you, I had entered my "Solutions for Small Business" number on the initial screen that popped up when I was first directed to Paypal, and I believe that's the (lower) discount I was shown the second time around.  So yes, there was a difference. 

Message 41 of 68
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Start a new thread.

These zombie threads get ignored because there is so much out of date and incorrect information on them.

PS I use postage stamps, and never have a problem with Light Packet/LetterPost rates.

LP shipments are not tracked anyway so there is little advantage to having a label.

And did you know you can buy discount mint/never hinged postage stamps on eBay? Discounts are often 20% less than PO counter rates.

You have on several occasions indicated that you use discounted postage stamps so are not privy to PayPal shipping label problems.  It's a reasonable work-around but it just wouldn't work for me.  Applying stamps of different sizes and colours and denominations, together with a handwritten custom slip taped to the package, looks messy to me and it's not the image I want to project to my customers.  I don't mean any disrespect, but an actual label affixed to the package looks more professional and businesslike, in my opinion.  

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

" I don't mean any disrespect, but an actual label affixed to the package looks more professional and businesslike, in my opinion.  "

Maybe, maybe not.

Case #1

Nice professional postage label costing the buyer $15.00 (actual out-of-pocket postage cost to seller)

Case #2

Postage stamps of different denominations adding up to $15.00 but costing the buyer only $12.00

A note by seller to buyer: "Although it is time consuming for us, we are using discount postage on your parcel to save you money through lower shipping charge."

As a buyer, I would rather save $3.00 than having a "professional and businesslike looking postage label"  And I suspect most buyers feel that way (in addition, after giving the buyer the benefit of some of the postage savings, you would make extra profit for yourself as discount postage is generally available with better discount than 20% from face value).

Different strokes for different folks.

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

Light packet is also missing from my Paypal dropdown menu.  Tried all the usual tips to bring it back, no luck.  I too will have to spend $3 more for small packet service than light packet.

I disagree with the "no tracking with light packet" though, yes there is no actual tracking number but there is an online trace for the postage paid that is absent when you buy postage at the post office instead.  This online trace with the light packet service gives the seller online proof of shipment (required by Paypal) that you don't have if purchasing stamps for lettermail or oversize lettermail.

Canada Post is very poorly managed for updating systems and digs into our pockets with having only the higher cost ship options offered.  Even the post offices have no information for the light packet service if you go to the counter. 

Sadly my profit margin cannot handle continued hits because of their mismanagement. 

Message 44 of 68
latest reply

Use Letter Post in combination with Cookie Jar Insurance.

No label, so you have to use postage stamps, but you can buy those discounted on eBay .

Message 45 of 68
latest reply

ok maybe a stupid question here but what is "cookie jar insurance"? Smiley Happy

Message 46 of 68
latest reply

" "cookie jar insurance"" = self-insurance.

For example, let's say that you pay Canada Post or other carrier or private insurer about 2% of the value of the goods to "insure" them against loss or damage.

With "cookie jar insurance" (self-insurance) you would put aside 1% of the value of the goods shipped and not bother with paying extra anyone for insurance.

If you sell $10,000 a year, your "cookie jar insurance" would contain $100 at the end of the year, more than needed - in most instances - to pay whatever claims are made for damage or non-receipt.

If you sell $100,000 a year, your "cookie jar insurance" would contain $1,000 at the end of the year, more than needed - in most instances - to pay whatever claims are made for damage or non-receipt.

Over the years I have sold millions of dollars worth of goods by mail (mostly lettermail/letterpost) - never insured by the carrier - using self-insurance - and my average losses have been less than one quarter of one percent per year.

Message 47 of 68
latest reply

I love the idea! Thank you for the info!

Message 48 of 68
latest reply

Just had a thought...has anyone mentioned the online shipping issues to the Canada Post ombudsman?  

I just tried the EST on the actual CP site but it does not show the light packet option either.  One must have a service ticket filed with CP indicating the problem before going to the OB so since this problem has been ongoing for months I wondered if anyone had already filed a service ticket with them?

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

Someone else mentioned in another thread that Canada Post has never had light packet on est. They said that it was only available at postal outlets and with certain contract customers such as ebay.

Instead of est you should try Snap Ship, it is a Canada Post site that you use with your small business number. They have a promo on right now so it is less expensive than usual. They don't have light packet either though someone said that a small packet label cost them just $7.22 today.

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

Taken from the "Business Prices-2017 Contract Customers and Solutions for Small Business". In contrast, the "2017 Parcel Services Commercial Price Guide" does not have that note written.

lightpacket.png

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Good morning everyone.  Thanks so much for pointing out the issues with PayPal label printing.  We are aware of the issue (see our announcement for more details), and we are working hard to get a resolution.

In short, PayPal recently made a change to the label printing flow, requiring sellers to register for a new Canada Post account or link an existing one, to their PayPal account.  When this linkage is made, it seems as though eBay sellers see the rates & services for Canada Post's "Solutions for Small Business" offering, rather than eBay rates & services.

As we announced in January of this year, this was an expected behaviour change for labels that were printed when sellers go directly to PayPal, but no change was to be made to the behaviour when sellers click on "Print shipping label" in My eBay.

We are currently working with PayPal to reverse the change on the eBay flow and will keep you updated on progress.

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

Nope, I tried "Snap ship" just now, the option for "light packet" or at least the cost value did not come up.

It was the more expensive option there also. Thanks for the heads up on the option for Snap ship though I will check that out for future shipments. 🙂
Message 53 of 68
latest reply

@secondsilver wrote:
Nope, I tried "Snap ship" just now, the option for "light packet" or at least the cost value did not come up.

It was the more expensive option there also. Thanks for the heads up on the option for Snap ship though I will check that out for future shipments. 🙂

As I said in my post they do not have light packet.  However, they are having a promtion right now so small packet price starts at 7.22.  You won't see that discount until the last page.

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

All,

PayPal released a fix to the shipping labels flow was earlier this afternoon, and we think that the service should be back to normal.

Specifically, when eBay sellers choose "Print Shipping Label" on My eBay, and enter the label printing flow on PayPal:

• sellers should no longer be asked to register or connect their Canada Post account before printing a label
  • "eBay-negotiated" Canada Post rates and services (including Light Packet for US / International destinations) should be showing up again as options for label printing

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you are still having issues with printing labels.  We will continue to work with PayPal to resolve any outstanding issues that arise.  Thanks for your patience as we worked with PayPal to resolve the issues.

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

Just an FYI, I just went to use Paypal shipping this morning, sorry but the light packet option is still NOT available as of June 1

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

Did you go to PayPal by first going to your item and then clicking on Print Shipping Label? If you go directly to PayPal you will not see Light Packet as it is included in the negotiated items and rates by eBay.

Message 57 of 68
latest reply

ahhh and the light goes on ...no I am not using ebay anymore, I have my own website.  Now that being said light packet has always been an option on paypal but I guess it is now only available to ebay sellers?  Well that changes everything. Smiley Happy

Message 58 of 68
latest reply

Well if you go to a post office you can still ship by Lidht or Small Packet. Not sure if you need to show your Venture One card or not.

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Well if you go to a post office you can still ship by Light or Small Packet. Not sure if you need to show your Venture One card or not.

Light packet / Small packet over the counter is for anybody -- no card required.

To the USA at the counter it's currently:

000-200g ..  6.84 Light Packet
201-300g ..  8.60 Light Packet
000-250g ..  8.61 Small Packet (Air)
251-500g .. 11.29 Small Packet (Air)
301-500g .. 11.75 Light Packet

Until the end of July Canada Post has a discount when you use Snap Ship

so Small Packet becomes a better deal than Light Packet for some weight ranges.

Small Packet (Air)

000-250g ..  7.22 with discount
251-500g ..  9.48 with discount

501g-1kg .. 14.11 with discount

-..-

Message 60 of 68
latest reply