What should I do now?

I had a buyer buy a pair of shoes 1 week ago. I gave the buyer positive feedback 1 week ago when I saw that they paid. I just checked  today my messages the buyer said that the shoes don't fit her. Before shipping the shoes she said was a size 9 for women which is Brazilian size 38. A size 38 Brazilian fits size 9 and 9.5 US for women. I stated in my listing that I don't do any returns and I made that VERY clear in the listing. The buyer asked in the initial message for a bigger size and if I could do an exchange. Seems odd that it's too small because she is size 9 and a size 38 fit a size 9 and 9.5. If anything it should be too big not too small. Also she wanted me to exchange her shoe and besides I don't do exchanges or returns and I don't have a bigger size for her shoe.

I haven't replied yet to the buyer. So what should I do next? I don't want to get negative FB. I can tell the buyer I don't have her size and that I don't do returns, but I will likely get a negative feedback I can already see it. Should I just suck it up allow them to return the item, but they should have to pay for the shipping and handling. What is the best path to take? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What should I do now?

If you sell clothing or footwear (or similar) taking returns is pretty much mandatory. If you don't take returns you are just setting yourself up for a pile of SNAD claims which is what buyers will use to force you into accepting a return.

Sizing is a critical area, I take a size 9.5 but I have bought size 9, size 10, size 11, sometimes the 11 is too small and the 9 is too big, there is so much variation between brands and even within brands that it's very difficult for some people to get a good fit especially when width and overall shape is so critical to a proper fit.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If I do an exchange will ebay charge me 10% of the final value?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and eBay both say you do refunds. You, personally, can say anything you want. They will not back you up.

I take an 8, 8.5, 9. I am not narrow, more average. Depends who makes them and where.

Shirts I am a small or a medium, again, depends where they are made.

Pants are a 31, 32, 33 depends on who makes them and where.

A certain size fits? Universally? Not likely.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

How do you know they won't back me up?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I've never done a return if I allow them to return the item. How do I refund them the money?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@soul5555511 wrote:

I've never done a return if I allow them to return the item. How do I refund them the money?

If they paid through paypal, just look up the purchase details and to do a refund (paypal will also refund some of the fees they charged you if you do the refund properly).

If you do a full refund, you can recover your eBay FVF (Final Value Fees), you have to ask the buyer to agree to a mutual cancellation via the eBay links for that purchase.

There are time limits to getting your paypal and eBay selling fees back from a refund.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"If I do an exchange will ebay charge me 10% of the final value?"

You indicated in your original post that you did not have a larger size available.  So making an exchange is not possible.

The only option left is to tell the buyer to return the shoes and a full refund will be processed through PayPal upon receipt of the shows.  To avoid having to pay tax at time of receipt, advise the buyer to show "goods returned to seller" on the Customs label.

Once you have received the shows back, and not until then, log on to PayPal, find the transaction, click on "details" and initiate a refund using the "Refund" link.  PayPal will then refund the 3.9% fee they charged you when you received the original payment.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@soul5555511 wrote:

How do you know they won't back me up?

Buyer files a SNAD (significantly not as described) and buyer has the right to a refund.

Your situation is different. Buyer bought hoping all would be fine and the shoes do not fit. Buyer did the responsible thing and contacted you outside of the Case system. If you choose not ta accept the return, the buyer can "force" you to be opening a case.

You really do not want that.

This leads to the broader conundrum of selling footwear over the 'net. Without trying them on, how does the buyer really know?

I bought a pair of boots, once, that did not fit properly. I realized it was my error and it was small dollars so I let it go.

I do not have expertise in shoes, so, I do not know what the "work around" is for this.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 9
latest reply