What to do when there is a bidder from a country not specified for shipping in the auction?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Re: 292056699781

I am not sure where to post this exactly, but here goes.

I received a message from someone asking if I ship to Germany. I replied my auction is only for Americans and Canadians. I also posted a reply in the answer section in the auction. Then I see that the guy, from Germany, bid on my auction anyway.

I always thought that once you selected your shipping options, the rest of the world is locked out of bidding.

What am I supposed to do in this situation?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

What to do when there is a bidder from a country not specified for shipping in the auction?

If you really don't want to ship to your item to Germany:

1. Cancel the bid

2. Add the buyer to your blocked bidder's list, and

3. Exclude Germany from your Shipping Destinations

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

"I always thought that once you selected your shipping options, the rest of the world is locked out of bidding."

No. 

You have to manually exclude the rest of the world if that's what you want to do.

Setting ship-to services in your listing provides prices and easy checkout for those countries, and visibility to those native ebay sites, but doesn't block anyone else from bidding. Many sellers (and buyers) would be unhappy if it did. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

When i look at it form the UK, I see this:

The seller hasn't specified a postage method to United Kingdom. Contact the seller- opens in a new window or tab and request post to your location.

And within that message, nothing indicates that a bidder from the UK would be unwelcome. Only that you haven't specified postage. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Geez, this shipping stuff is so complicated.

I picked domestic shipping (Canada) and international shipping. Then It asked me if I wanted to customize International shipping, so I checked off United States only.

You would think that with those options checked off, the auction would only remain open in Canada and the US.

Oh well, I guess I will have no choice but to leave it as is and go with the flow.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The buyer may plan on using a shipping forwarder from the U.S so you would be responable for for shipping the item to the address in the US.  You should send a message asking the buyer if they do have a North American address.  If they say no or don't rely within a day, you can delete the bid as there is no penalty for deleting a bid on an ongoing auction. 

Because you are a newish seller, it would be a good idea to stick to shipping to the US and Canada only, especially for a higher priced item like this.  I have read about a few problems with overseas transactions for camera related items.  If you do decide to shop overseas, make sure you tell the buyer what the shipping cost will be now, not after the auction ends.  It will be expensive as you should definitely use tracking for it....you would need to use tracked packet or Xpresspost international.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Also....to prevent buyers without a shipping address here from bidding or buying, go to your my eBay page, click on account -site preferences-buyer requirements -edit and then check off block buyers with a primary shipping address in a country I don't ship to.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

I've never actually sold anything outside of NA. I have just sent the German bidder a message asking if he has a North American address. We will see if he replies.

If I have to delete his bid, how would I do that?

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

You were right. The bidder does have a U.S. address, so everything is good.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

That's good. 

If you ever need to cancel a bid, this is how you do it:

http://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow&ssPageName=STRK:MESRL:004

Complete as the case may be. Your listing number can be found halfway down the page at right. 

Buyer is on the bid history page. 

Remember: bids should only be canceled for good reasons. These are the ones cited by ebay. 

Examples of legitimate bid cancellations

• The bidder contacts you to back out of the auction.
  • You are unable to verify the bidder's identity, after trying all reasonable means of contact. 
  • You want to end your listing early because your item is no longer available for sale. In this case you must cancel all bids on your listing before ending it.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice to know, but hopefully I will never have to use it.

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
latest reply