When to start Canada Post lost package claim?

baldclimber
Community Member

Hi!

Package was shipped via Ebay using CP Tracked Packet USA on July 27 to Aramex forwarding in Brooklyn NY.  On July 30 it arrived in Brooklyn.  USPS tracking states "In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility" since August 3rd.  Hasn't moved since then.

I've updated buyer on the status.  They haven't complained or started an INR claim.  

When and how do I initiate a lost package claim?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Go to Canada Posts website, jump on virtual chat bottom right of the website on your tracking there will be a chat bubble click on that.  When it opens immediately type in Agent and press enter (or you can call but the chat is quick)

There will be an automated set of questions, confirm you are the sender and it will ask for recievers shipping information and so on.  Once you have provided all that you will be connected to a rep, tell them your reciever is concerned about the parcel (if the item is worth a lot and you paid insurance be sure to mention that, they tend to act quicker on higher valued items with insurance).  The rep will tell you if you are able to start a INR claim, if they say you can't at the moment ask them when and they should give you a time frame.  You can also ask if they can elevate your concern, they do have other options however it depends on the rep you speak with.

If you are able or need to start a claim there's something you need to know.  Canada Post will not pay out your claim unless they can make contact with the reciever.  The reciever will also have to answer certain questions correctly.  There's no way to force a buyer to comply with an insurance claim, meaning respond to Canada Post.  Now that eBays new invoices no longer show the buyer/recievers email address (fairly recent change) this will make USA and International claims almost immpossible.

Insurance for international or USA shipments is only good if the tracking doesn't show delivered in that case Canada Post will pay you out (without needing to contact the reciever)  If it shows delivered, you have to hope you have a nice buyer/reciever who will provide you with their proper contact information and follow up with Canada Post.

@femmefan1946 great advice and I agree 100%, I'll add to that.  You should follow all your trackings until you see them all as delivered via the CP website.  If you notice a problem or something strange with a tracking you should contact Canada Post immediately.  Always stay ahead, that way if your buyer reaches out to you are already prepared and are able to help them quickly if neccessary.  That will go a long way with most buyers as it shows you care and want to help them.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@baldclimber wrote:

Hi!

Package was shipped via Ebay using CP Tracked Packet USA on July 27 to Aramex forwarding in Brooklyn NY.  On July 30 it arrived in Brooklyn.  USPS tracking states "In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility" since August 3rd.  Hasn't moved since then.

I've updated buyer on the status.  They haven't complained or started an INR claim.  

When and how do I initiate a lost package claim?

Thanks!

Canada Post - Create a service ticket - (canadapost-postescanada.ca)

-Lotz

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I understand your answer to mean that the lost package claim is made directly through CPC even though the sender account is actually ebay.  Having made many lost/late claim over the years outside of ebay I'm familiar with that part of the process.

The biggest question: when to initiate the lost package claim? 2 weeks after non-delivery?  Some specific time after the delivery standard?

Thanks 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It's been a while since I have seen that information but for international I think that it is 30 or 45 days after an item has been mailed before a claim can me started.  International claims have to be made within 6 months.  It's definitely too early right now but if you start a 'pretend' claim, I think that at one point in the claim they will give you a definite time of when you can start the claim.  

Its very common lately for mail to be stalled at one of the US  processing centres so I doubt that it's lost...just biding it's time.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

As far as I know it is 45 days but that was before COVID, so if anything it might even be longer now.....

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Just a note.

If the buyer has not complained, it is never a good idea to remind him that he could now demand a refund.

You can start the lost package enquiry without contacting the buyer.

Tracking shows the last place the shipment was recorded, not where it is.

It has been my experience that normally mail takes about 21 days to be delivered anywhere in the USA or Canada.

No matter what the postal system or eBay says.

Your shipment has only been in the mailstream for 16 days.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Go to Canada Posts website, jump on virtual chat bottom right of the website on your tracking there will be a chat bubble click on that.  When it opens immediately type in Agent and press enter (or you can call but the chat is quick)

There will be an automated set of questions, confirm you are the sender and it will ask for recievers shipping information and so on.  Once you have provided all that you will be connected to a rep, tell them your reciever is concerned about the parcel (if the item is worth a lot and you paid insurance be sure to mention that, they tend to act quicker on higher valued items with insurance).  The rep will tell you if you are able to start a INR claim, if they say you can't at the moment ask them when and they should give you a time frame.  You can also ask if they can elevate your concern, they do have other options however it depends on the rep you speak with.

If you are able or need to start a claim there's something you need to know.  Canada Post will not pay out your claim unless they can make contact with the reciever.  The reciever will also have to answer certain questions correctly.  There's no way to force a buyer to comply with an insurance claim, meaning respond to Canada Post.  Now that eBays new invoices no longer show the buyer/recievers email address (fairly recent change) this will make USA and International claims almost immpossible.

Insurance for international or USA shipments is only good if the tracking doesn't show delivered in that case Canada Post will pay you out (without needing to contact the reciever)  If it shows delivered, you have to hope you have a nice buyer/reciever who will provide you with their proper contact information and follow up with Canada Post.

@femmefan1946 great advice and I agree 100%, I'll add to that.  You should follow all your trackings until you see them all as delivered via the CP website.  If you notice a problem or something strange with a tracking you should contact Canada Post immediately.  Always stay ahead, that way if your buyer reaches out to you are already prepared and are able to help them quickly if neccessary.  That will go a long way with most buyers as it shows you care and want to help them.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I followed your detailed advice and obtained a service ticket number via the chat system.  CPC agent indicates that they will contact me if the package isn't delivered by 08/20. 

Will CPC not approve a claim if they can't contact receiver even there is no tracking indicating delivery or delivery attempt?

Thanks! 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

From post 7..

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

That's good to hear.  You will likely get an email from Canada Post on or around that date I can't tell you what will happen as it will depend on what the tracking shows.

FYI damaged item claims, I haven't had one in a long time things may have changed.  The last time it occured, Canada Post will only pay out if they can contact the reciever and they cooperate.  CP may request the item back depending on the value and where the item is located.  If I recall correctly anything located in Canada over $150 CAD they require the item sent back to them and they will provide a return label that you send to your reciever.

@dinomitesales  might have more up to date information on damaged item claims and CP requesting the item

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

baldclimber
Community Member

Update:  Received the following message from CPC today.  The bolded part could present a problem since the package shipped to Aramex and the eventual receiver is in the middle-east.

The inquiry into the item referenced below has been assigned to the Canada Post Claims team.

Our investigation indicates no scan was uploaded to the Canada Post tracking system to show delivery of your item. An agent will contact you when there is an update and to discuss next steps. Most cases are resolved within 10 business days of the start of the investigation.

We begin our investigations by contacting the addressee to confirm delivery as in some cases, a delivery scan may not be displayed even though the item has been delivered.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply