When will eBay Canada have the Video option on listings?

I honestly thought that .ca had the Add Video option that .com has. Did it go away?
When will it be available?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It's never been available on .CA (or at least I've never noticed it, and I list exclusively on .CA).

Would be nice to have it though, not sure what's taking them so long to add it. That and coupon codes.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

It's never been available on .CA (or at least I've never noticed it, and I list exclusively on .CA).

Would be nice to have it though, not sure what's taking them so long to add it. That and coupon codes.

devon@ebay 

@mandicrafts 

Video is one more for the collection. It seems counter intuitive to have features released on  dot com but either at a snails pace after the fact or a very stripped down version when they do finally arrive on ca. (Video has been available on ebay motors since 2020. Devon do you have an eta for Canada?

https://export.ebay.com/en/listings/how-optimize-your-listings/adding-a-video-to-your-listing/

-Lotz

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@dinomitesales wrote:

devon@ebay 

@mandicrafts 

Video is one more for the collection. It seems counter intuitive to have features released on  dot com but either at a snails pace after the fact or a very stripped down version when they do finally arrive on ca. (Video has been available on ebay motors since 2020. Devon do you have an eta for Canada?

https://export.ebay.com/en/listings/how-optimize-your-listings/adding-a-video-to-your-listing/

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I know that this is something that is being looked at to implemented but at this time I do not have a timeframe to share for when it will be live. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

"When will it be available?"

We don't know.

You're asking the wrong people.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

This would be a great feature on .ca so we can show off the product in detail and not have the customer rely on just a description. I dunno why this hasn't been added to ebay.ca. You would think the .ca and .com ebay are all using the same underlying system so it's like ebay are holding features away from .ca for some odd reason.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@dynomitesales @lotzofuniquegoodies 

@dougieboygames 

I've been using video on ebay dot ca for many years.  On a computer you just click it. On a mobile app it depends on your settings. Some have to copy the included link to a broswer.

Here's one of my listings with a video. Go to the description. Do what I just said.

ITWM dotca listing with a video 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

@dynomitesales @lotzofuniquegoodies 

@dougieboygames 

I've been using video on ebay dot ca for many years.  On a computer you just click it. On a mobile app it depends on your settings. Some have to copy the included link to a broswer.

Here's one of my listings with a video. Go to the description. Do what I just said.

ITWM dotca listing with a video 

@dougieboygames 

@intimewithmusic 

I'm wondering if this is another one of those eBay times where a feature gets added to ca in the dark of night with no fanfare/announcement. In just now checking help this pops up. It wasn't there the last dozen times I have looked. Because there is no date attached to help files hard to know when this was added. All I've ever seen when the question was asked was "that it was in the works".

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/adding-video-listing?id=5272&st...

According to help page youtube videos are not supported???

Video Format Requirements

• The maximum supported video size is 150 MB
  • The maximum upload resolution is 1080p
  • Supported output resolutions are 240p, 360p, 480p, and 720p
  • MP4 file types- MPEG-4 Part 10 or Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC)
  • Providing links to YouTube or other video platforms is not supported

-Lotz

We see this all the time where stuff has been broken forever when magically suddenly it is fixed. Pride or embarassment? Who knows?

This was posted a few weeks ago so at that time it was not available on ca. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/How-can-I-add-a-video-to-my-existing-listings/m-p/500265

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It's been an option since long before eBay started hosting videos. It's been discussed many times on eBay For Business and they allow it both in the States and Canada.

They don't "endorse" it because it's not exactly "ebay lister friendly".  It takes some html knowledge and you need to host a YouTube channel.  My channel sends a TON of buyers directly to eBay which is the opposite of taking buyers off the platform. The Help page you're referring to is about the eBaydot com tool not the html version of manual insertion. 

Those interested can Google "Inserting video into an eBay listing using html".  This is old school so ignore the eBay video tool instructions Lotz is referring to.  You will need to use an online app to convert your data to an html code acceptable to eBay. You will find it as you go.

You can also just wait. eBay Canada will likely have it's own user friendly video feature soon. Just a guess but I think by the end of next year.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

It's been an option since long before eBay started hosting videos. It's been discussed many times on eBay For Business and they allow it both in the States and Canada.

They don't "endorse" it because it's not exactly "ebay lister friendly".  It takes some html knowledge and you need to host a YouTube channel.  My channel sends a TON of buyers directly to eBay which is the opposite of taking buyers off the platform. The Help page you're referring to is about the eBaydot com tool not the html version of manual insertion. 

Those interested can Google "Inserting video into an eBay listing using html".  This is old school so ignore the eBay video tool instructions Lotz is referring to.  You will need to use an online app to convert your data to an html code acceptable to eBay. You will find it as you go.

You can also just wait. eBay Canada will likely have it's own user friendly video feature soon. Just a guess but I think by the end of next year.

All I knew was it has been talked about but with no firm date. 

Re: "End of next year." 🤣 Good one!!!

-Lotz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

According to the podcast a few months ago video has  been a US success. They are tweaking and ramping up. 

It's not as simple as people think.  People think VERO is tricky.. Copywrite is a much bigger deal. 
If eBay allows infrigement they put a lot at risk. I also have had a construction  YT channel for 10 years. In one of my earlier videos a radio was playing in the background of a construction site. "Who'll Stop The Rain" by Creedance.  Lots of work in the video and I didn't see that coming. 

Think about how many media sellers will post clips of records etc.  You used to be able to post up to 10 seconds.  Then it was 6.  the bot intelligence is so good I think it's zero tolerance now. Video on eBay is a really big deal. Unless they use a 3rd party to host they have to create a mini YouTube that follows all the same guidelines. 

A video of a watch working may help sell it but not if Creedance is on the radio in the background...If it's a Rolex now you have VERO & copywrite issues.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@dougieboygames wrote:

This would be a great feature on .ca so we can show off the product in detail and not have the customer rely on just a description. I dunno why this hasn't been added to ebay.ca. You would think the .ca and .com ebay are all using the same underlying system so it's like ebay are holding features away from .ca for some odd reason.

You'd think that, wouldn't you? My understanding is that not only does eBay Canada NOT share the same underlying system, but eBay Canada is made up of two servers (one for French and one for everyone else) which were programmed from scratch by two different development teams several years apart. In other words, for them to bring new features to eBay Canada, they not only have to do it from scratch but they have to do it from scratch twice! That's what I was told anyway.  A universal code base would certainly make sense (at least to me). Hopefully they'll eventually do that.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply