Where's Waldo? I need him.

OK, I give up, and I'm so busy today I admit I don't have the time to look through all the recent shipping threads to find this information. 

So guys, where did Light Packet labelling end up?  Is there still anywhere a beleaguered eBay seller can get a Light Packet label printed online?  

Last night I ended up using Shippo for a parcel I knew could have gone Light Packet, and paid the Small Packet rate.  While I realize that Small Packet rate is discounted (for now), it was still about $0.20 more.  Every penny counts these days, and they tend to add up to dollars. 

Driving to the P.O. to stand in line and mess about with forms, etc. is not a good alternative for me at all.  I'd rather lose the $0.20 and buy Small Packet.  

I'm also not sure about risking lettermail to the U.S. for commercial parcels.  It seems to me there's enough potential trouble inherent in shipping without adding more.  If any seller has regularly shipped lettermail to the U.S. for some time and had no problems, I'd be interested to know.  Once Shippo drops their Small Packet discount (and CP raises its rates again in January, 2018), it may be my only reasonable choice if I want to stay in business (I sell a lot of sewing patterns, mostly under $25). 

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Where's Waldo? I need him.

"...The auction catalogue will be out pretty soon - so if you want one of these...."

For the record I have several stamp lots (both Canada and foreign) offered for sale at the September auction.  The #3 is not mine.  I can only wish!

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

Only if I win the lottery before then!

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Thanks for this.  This is what I recalled, and why I'm reluctant to switch to lettermail for sending my lower-priced, smaller and lightweight items.  It may have been a good option for years in the past for many sellers, but I expect postal services are trying to make their products more consistent around the globe as online selling increases.  No doubt cracking down on commercial items sent via "stealth" lettermail will help increase postal agencies' revenue, when all online sellers are more or less obliged to use parcel services.   

There is definitely a desire for consistency so that future customs procedures regarding manifesting and advanced electronic notification to customs agencies are streamlined. That is a big part in this equation as customs services get huge dumps of parcels these days and with the increased screening they need a way to cut down on some of that sorting. Having shipments containing goods (and type) readily identified helps with that as they would be getting electronic notification ahead of time of the nature of the goods that are on incoming manifests which will cut sort times and allow them to flag in advance shipments that require special handling/processing.

For the revenue part it is more about ensuring the terminal dues are set appropriately. Part of that requires renegotiation between the postal services of countries, part of it requires the UPU to classify the "status" of a country appropriately to reflect if they are still a developing economy that requires subsidies, and part of that requires the UPU to more clearly identify which of their classes of services are for lettermail and which are for goods since there is overlap. If an item contains goods, the postal services want to be paid accordingly as shipments contain goods can't be automatically sorted like letters, which is where the lower cost of handling comes in. That is especially the case as many of these shipments can't be automatically scanned due to inconsistent labelling, irregular shapes, etc. This should in theory work in our favor as the upward price pressure on domestic and international export parcels that we experience is influenced significantly by this issue whereby Canada Post and other postal agencies are being paid letter mail rates to process parcels. If we want reasonable outgoing prices the incoming revenue that they are receiving needs to reflect the work being done and costs incurred.

Message 43 of 57
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I think 'hlmacdon' made an important point in saying that commercial sellers have access to shipping options we smaller sellers would give our eye teeth for.  But I also expect that eBay likely makes very favourable selling arrangements with its larger sellers.  I don't believe for a minute that the more prominent sellers on this site are twisting in the wind with every policy change.  

All in all, a far more advantageous position on every side if you're big enough. 

So now I really do have to exit stage left...Woman Very Happy 

This is the part that becomes a limiting factor as a seller. One problem like we have in Canada is that larger retail accounts get rates which are heavily discounted, like the deal Canada Post had with Walmart at one point which was allowing them to provide free parcel shipping on $20-25 (I forget the exact number) orders. The sort of heavy discounting that allows that to be feasible is not unique and there are marketing dollar slush funds (of course not intended to "lower the cost of shipping" but instead to promote the virtues of Canada Post by having a graphic designer spending 30 minutes on a design and slapping a landing page on your website) that get given to retailers as well.

As a seller who also uses USPS one thing I like is the more transparent nature of rates provided, with the delta between the rates nothing like the spread we have in Canada. It isn't a perfect system as I am sure there is an "amazon exception" to the rates, but there is more transparency and equality. That brings up the other problem you reiterate, whereby USPS has a low cost option that perfectly meets the needs of ecommerce sellers but is structured such that you have to be a reasonably large retailer for the service to be viable, especially if you are trying to work within the constraints of ebay top seller requirement handling times. Needless to say that being able to ship international orders at a much lower cost would be of benefit. It's frustrating as a small business as growth often comes down to logistics. I hope (emphasis on hope) with the UPU recognizing the need to carve out and maintain a low cost parcel service suitable for ecommerce goods that we see something that will filter down to our level.

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

My one wish for Canada Post is that they realize that if they are already barcoding LightPacket and Small Packet shipments, they are halfway to providing Confirmation of Delivery.

At least for the USA.

And with any luck as part of the TPP (which includes Australia) and CETA (European Union possibly minus UK) negotiations.

To be clear, Confirmation of Delivery is not tracking. It is recording of acceptance and recording of delivery only.

Message 45 of 57
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

My one wish for Canada Post is that they realize that if they are already barcoding LightPacket and Small Packet shipments, they are halfway to providing Confirmation of Delivery.

At least for the USA.

And with any luck as part of the TPP (which includes Australia) and CETA (European Union possibly minus UK) negotiations.

To be clear, Confirmation of Delivery is not tracking. It is recording of acceptance and recording of delivery only.

I'm not sure at this point if that is even an option based on where the UPU classifies both. My understanding is both correspond to the UPU Letter -post P,G,E class for which delivery confirmation is not an option currently according to the below. Light packet is either P or G class, whereas small packet is letter format "E" and that is the category for which the ecommerce specific goods class is being carved out as a service for physical goods but still under the letter-post umbrella. I am interested to see if they offer delivery confirmation on this as standard and how they differentiate it from Post Expres (tracked packet). They do have charts which identify non-priority parcels verus priority parcels (EMS is listed separately as premium) which seem to correspond to a difference in speed of processing but they also list value-added services as limited for non-priority parcels. Delivery confirmation is what Post Expres currently uses, so either they move that to full tracking, or differentiate based on speed and/or delivery confirmation.

IPP2.png

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

dump registered which is safe so they can charge more for other services which are less reliable.

We did a lot of international shipping when we had our store and auctions.

We had pretty well stopped using Registered Mail by 2000, due to better and faster services coming available.

And of course, because perhaps as an urban legend, the words Registered had come to mean 'worth stealing' to many impoverished postal workers.

Priority Post is very fast and very reliable.

It is also very expensive.

Tracked Air Mail services are also very reliable, almost as fast, and less expensive.

Registered is slow, not really tracked, and while relatively cheap ($19.50 plus postage last time I used it for an old-fashioned customer who didn't really understand the newer services and demanded Registered) is still pricey for what you get.

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

they are carving out a service intended for goods up to 2kg as part of this documents vs goods shakeup.

As a sidenote, 'goods' would require gentler handling than paper. We've seen buyers who are ballistic when the cheap plastic case on an ordinary CD gets cracked,even if the paper and disc inside are unharmed.

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Canada #3 the Twelvepenny Black.

That is a Google image, not the actual stamp, which went directly to Ottawa without a stopover here in Victoria.

The CBSA agents were impressed. They had never seen so much value in such a small item.

It will be in Sparks Auctions in September, along with some examples of  #1 and #2.

Start saving!

As another aside, knowing virtually nothing about philatelics, but something about history, that stamp shows Queen Victoria as a very young woman, I'd guess ca. 1840-45.  Which means the stamp was issued long before Canada existed as a country.  I assume it would be rare anyway, but is that fact what gives it the enormous value?  And how the heck do you insure such a tiny scrap of easily ruined paper during transit -- or can you?

"...so much value in such a small item"  -- You mean this outdid what even diamond merchants carry into the country?  Don't worry, I'm not a potential bidder, just curious.  Woman Happy

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

The Province of Canada existed before the Dominion of Canada came into being in 1867.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Canada

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

The Twelvepenny paid a high rate-- Registered or heavy parcel or possibly international-- and would not have been in much demand.

If necessary the 12p rate could have been covered with four 3p Beaver stamps. (Designed, since we are already waaaay off topic, by Sanford Fleming, inventor of Time Zones).

So not many were made and fewer were sold and fewest of all, not many were kept in collections mint and never hinged like the Sparks Auction example.

We sold a very nice example in the 90s for over $90,000. Before, IIRC, buyer fees and sales taxes.

The current catalogue value is around $250,000USD.

Not bad for a piece of paper 2cm square.

There is a classic joke among philatelists that the most valuable product on Earth is stamp gum, because of the huge difference the presence or quality of gum on the back of a stamp can make to the price of the stamp.

And how the heck do you insure such a tiny scrap of easily ruined paper during transit -- or can you?

Oh my yes!

The insurer is Hugh Wood Insurance, an international company based in Britain but with offices in Toronto and New York.

Because they are specifically insurers of collectibles, they are aware of the real (not imaginary) situations that may arise.

I've spoken about them before.

Compared to most commercial insurers, collectors (and dealers) will probably find they offer cheaper, more flexible insurance plans to their clients. One advantage is that they understand that collections change rapidly and that sometimes the cost and the value do not match.

If anyone is worrying that their home insurance policy is not going to cover their eBay stock, it might be a good idea to phone their Toronto offices and speak to Gina about what they offer.

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

The Province of Canada existed before the Dominion of Canada came into being in 1867.

Yes, I know.  The link isn't necessary, I grew up in Upper Canada hearing all the history.  Woman Wink

The Province of Nova Scotia, where I now live (as well as several others) also existed as an entity prior to 1867.  Nova Scotia even had its own currency prior to Confederation.   

The question I was posing to the philatelists among us was whether the stamp was worth such an enormous sum precisely because it pre-dated Confederation, or for some other reason.  Perhaps its value does arise because it was struck at the time of the joining of Upper and Lower Canada.  I really don't know.  Judging from Queen Victoria's image, that may be it.  

Hopefully one of the stamp people will come back and tell us why that little scrap of printed paper is worth a fortune. 

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The Twelvepenny paid a high rate-- Registered or heavy parcel or possibly international-- and would not have been in much demand.

If necessary the 12p rate could have been covered with four 3p Beaver stamps. (Designed, since we are already waaaay off topic, by Sanford Fleming, inventor of Time Zones).

So not many were made and fewer were sold and fewest of all, not many were kept in collections mint and never hinged like the Sparks Auction example. 

Thank you for popping up just in time!

I see, so it wasn't so much the actual date of issue as the rarity that makes it so valuable.  I suppose I've never understood how tiny bits of printed paper accumulate such value.  I have a smallish antique clothing collection, and have a beautiful printed silk bodice from just about the date of this stamp that is likely the only one of its exact type in existence anywhere.  Yet it's worth nowhere near what this little stamp is valued at, probably more like $250 than $250,000.  Yet I find it a far more eloquent and lasting piece of history than a postage stamp would be.  But that's just me. 

I like the idea of stamp collecting, but could never afford the time (or the money) to really be in the game.  You must get some pretty high rollers showing up at these auctions. 

You've mentioned Hugh Wood Insurance in the past.  What a good idea to consider them to insure eBay stock.  Try explaining that to your average house insurer. 

By the way, do you happen to know the date of issue of that stamp?  Just curious. 

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

rose-dee - "... that stamp shows Queen Victoria as a very young woman, I'd guess ca. 1840-45...."

The stamp (#3) was issued by the Province of Canada on June 14, 1851.

Only 1,450 stamps were actually issued.

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

Printer
Rawdon, Wright, Hatch & Edson.

Creators
Based on a painting by Alfred Edward Chalon. Portrait engraved by Alfred Jones.

Original Artwork
Alfred Edward Chalon, "Queen Victoria", 1837

About Stamp

The first postage stamps issued by the Province of Canada featured the beaver on the 3-pence stamp, H.R.H. Albert, the Prince Consort on the 6-pence denomination, and Her Majesty Queen Victoria on the 12-pence.

These stamps were produced on laid paper without perforations. Rawdon, Wright, Hatch and Edison, the New York security printers, received the contract to print Canadian postage stamps, producing all the requirements until May 1, 1858. On that day the company name changed, following amalgamation, to the American Bank Note Company with headquarters remaining in New York City. The new firm continued the former printing contract until Canadian Confederation in 1867.

The portrait of Her Majesty Queen Victoria was reproduced from a contemporary engraving of a full-length painting by Alfred Edward Chalon, R.A. Although this work of art portrays the young Queen in her robes of state, only the head appears in various British colonial postage stamp designs, including the 12-pence for the Province of Canada.

On the occasion of Queen Victoria's first visit to the House of Lords, she commissioned Mr. Chalon to paint this portrait as a gift to her mother, the Duchess of Kent. The memorable event was the prorogation of Parliament on 17th July, 1837, the year of the Queen's accession to the throne.

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

Wonderful, thank you! 

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

The portrait of Her Majesty Queen Victoria was reproduced from a contemporary engraving of a full-length painting by Alfred Edward Chalon, R.A.

The Chalon portrait itself is in the possession of an American collector.

DH made an offer on it some years ago. While the deal never got far, the owner was seriously considering offers far below the then-current value of the stamp.

Message 57 of 57
latest reply