Who has my money -- Canada Post or Paypal

jcd931
Community Member

I made a sale on Ebay and purchased a mailing label from Canada Post on May 10, 2020. The buyer wanted to purchase more of my items, so I cancelled the label, because the amount for shipping would have to increase and I would have to generate another label, which I purchased for $32.73 on May 12. The refund amount of the original label for $20.56 CDN has not been returned to my account. It is marked "refund pending" in my Paypal account.

I called Canada Post. They advised they refunded the money on May 11, 2020 and said Paypal has not released the funds. The person I spoke with said they run into this problem regularly and that I have to be in touch with Paypal to release the funds. Canada Post gave me a service ticket # that they have for the Paypal refund transaction and they have also provided me with an order # that they said I should provide to Paypal so that this issue can be resolved.

I called Paypal . They show the payment is on hold. They advised the service ticket # and order # mean nothing to them. They said they run into this problem regularly with Canada Post. The Paypal representative said Canada Post hasn’t completed the refund process. They probably missed a step.

I called Canada Post. They said everything was done correctly and the money has been refunded and that Paypal isn’t releasing the funds.

I called Paypal. They said they show that the payment is on hold and that Canada Post needs to deposit money into my account. I told them that the Canada Post representative said that had been done and that there was nothing more they have to do….that Paypal is holding the funds and has to transfer it back into my account. The Paypal representative said that they don’t hold funds…..they’re not a bank.

I have been calm and factual in my dealings with both Canada Post and Paypal, but I'm getting a bit frustrated and I’m afraid I might lose my cool if I call either Paypal or Canada Post, because I'm in a loop that I can't seem to get out of. Paypal says it's Canada Post's issue to resolve; Canada Post says they've paid and it's Paypal who hasn't released the funds. I even tried to open a dispute, but that was denied “because your billing dispute doesn't match our qualification for a billing dispute.”

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any advice?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

years ago,I found that refunds for voided Canada Post labels thru PayPal were easy and painless usually received the refund within 3 weeks...not so anymore...perhaps they just want us to "forget about it" such as I did with the last 2 that never were refunded. Thankfully, they were not large amounts or I may have been inclined to pursue these further and/or disputed the fact that no refund was ever issued in these cases...

Now I tend to be very very careful with the shipping label purchases making sure everything is correct before hitting that pay button...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You need to be very careful when dealing with Canada Post. They are a bunch of sneaks.

I had a label a year or two ago that I voided and waited for like 2 months for a refund. I called Canada Post about it a few times. The first time the expected date for funds to be refunded was approaching and the Canada Post rep told me it would arrive (the refund).

About a week after the expected date I called and dealt with a different rep who told me that because it was shipped Air (with no tracking) that they don't refund those anymore because without tracking there is no proof that the label was not used!

I think I managed to get it refunded but ever since then have been careful to use tracking as much as possible.

Ya can't trust Canada Post!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

This was a tracked packet label and when I go to tracking it at canadapost.ca it's showing up on Canada Post's website with the following information.

"May 10 Electronic information submitted by shipper.  The sender has created a shipping label. When we process the item, we’ll update its status and expected delivery date. Track this item later for updates or sign up for email notifications." 

I'm just so frustrated and don't know what else to do to get my money refunded.  It's only a small amount but doing a google search and hearing stories from the two posters in response to my post, I wonder how many others have not been refunded their money.  Thanks for listening to my tale of woe.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply