Why BC News Reporting Exclusive $10K Annual Sales Provincial Tax Collection?

My understanding is the new Internet Sales Tax starting today applies to ALL provinces for ALL online sellers. Why are the news outlets reporting this is the only BC province charging Sales tax for sellers with gross annual sales over $10,000???

"Online marketplaces with annual gross revenues of more than $10,000 — such as Amazon and Ebay — will be required to collect the provincial sales tax on goods and services sold on their sites."
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I could be wrong about this, but I think it's GST/HST/QST + BC that comes into effect today. That leaves Manitoba (I THINK they may have one in the works?) and Saskatchewan (I was told it's already required if selling for profit, even for a single sale to a Saskatchewan resident).

It kind of makes sense for eBay to have one rule for everyone given that it already includes just about all the provinces anyway.

What I'm not clear on is whether you have to register for PST accounts (say for BC) if your sales there are over $10k even if the marketplace is handling it (obviously you'd just file a null return if it is required, but it would be kind of silly to make that requirement).

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Everything seemed all clear, and ebay told me I didn't have to do anything - and now I'm like - Well, do I have to do something if I sell in BC???? uggggghhhhh....
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Do you have a link to the story you saw or read this?
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
My understanding is the new Internet Sales Tax starting today applies to ALL provinces for ALL online sellers. Why are the news outlets reporting this is the only BC province charging Sales tax for sellers with gross annual sales over $10,000???

"Online marketplaces with annual gross revenues of more than $10,000 — such as Amazon and Ebay — will be required to collect the provincial sales tax on goods and services sold on their sites."

It applies to all sellers using a "marketplace" and the marketplace (eBay) must collect if THEIR total revenues exceed $10,000.

There are not many marketplaces that are not doing $10,000 per year, I'm quite sure eBay hits that threshold in a matter of minutes.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Exactly.

It's not the seller it's the marketplace.

If you are only selling on your own website, and if you are, why are you here, then the $10,000 annually kicks in.

And again, that's what will be reported, not what we will pay in taxes.

There are deductions like postage, packaging costs, ink and other overheads, procurement costs, insurance, etc.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply