Why Ebay ruled against me for a "item not received" case?!

I printed shipping label on Ebay, shipped the package to buyer's address on Ebay, the tracking number showed "item delivered". 

And yet, buyer opened a "item not received" case. Ebay ruled against me?!

WTH???
Care to explain Ebay?

What else can I do? You tell me!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chicweb
Community Member

Wow... I really don't know what other proof they would need.......

Very strange. Last time I had a problem, I contacted them on ebay for Business on Facebook. They seem to be reactive and knowledgable.

I don't know if there's agents there today during holidays tho.... But, would be good to give it a try. It can take a few hours for a first interaction, but after that, it goes pretty quickly.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I tried to explain to Ebay customer service team on the phone. Nobody knew what was going on and very little help. I am really frustrated with Ebay's customer service system as well. You just can't find someone who is responsible for this kind of things.

No phone number or email for this.

Disappointed!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

UPS_proof_delivery.JPG

I also have the shipping label to show I shipped to the exact address Ebay provided.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

chicweb
Community Member

Wow... I really don't know what other proof they would need.......

Very strange. Last time I had a problem, I contacted them on ebay for Business on Facebook. They seem to be reactive and knowledgable.

I don't know if there's agents there today during holidays tho.... But, would be good to give it a try. It can take a few hours for a first interaction, but after that, it goes pretty quickly.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The problem/frustration when an INR (Item not received) case is opened is that you have to manually put the tracking number into the case, despite the fact that the tracking attached to the item(s) shows that it was delivered.

If you don't manually put the tracking number in showing delivered into the case before the due date (really midnight of the day before), the system automagically closes in the buyers favour because the case doesn't show the item was delivered.

If you're able to bring the fact that it was delivered to the attention of the support folks sometimes others have been able to get the ruling reversed.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

eBay phone Reps are "reps" in name only and ARE NOT a reliable customer service staff> they are as useless as teats on a boar!  ...even eBay chat (which I always found quite helpful over the years), have become unreliable. Contacting eBay via social media is about as good as it can get and ever will be, as otherwise eBay offers  ZERO reliable/competent/knowledgeable support staff for its sellers & buyers.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

The problem/frustration when an INR (Item not received) case is opened is that you have to manually put the tracking number into the case, despite the fact that the tracking attached to the item(s) shows that it was delivered.

If you don't manually put the tracking number in showing delivered into the case before the due date (really midnight of the day before), the system automagically closes in the buyers favour because the case doesn't show the item was delivered.

If you're able to bring the fact that it was delivered to the attention of the support folks sometimes others have been able to get the ruling reversed.

@ricarmic 

It's really too bad that eBay HQ (the powers that be) are unable or unwilling to recognize and address this as a problem at their end vs their conclusion it is entirely at the sellers end. (Bots running amok?) Especially when it is reported on all the boards exactly in the way you've so eloquently described, for what seems like forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qwEipKrV-0

-Lotz

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It sounds as if @ok_bullions  did NOT put the tracking/Proof of Delivery into the Claim, instead opting to phone eBay.

Which is weird because it is hard to find that number.

Easier to find the social media Chats which are actually covered by eBay employees and not subcontractors working from home.

And it's easiest of all to answer within the Claim.

Just because eBay should have the tracking number on hand doesn't mean the seller should assume they do have it.

The seller has to make the step of manually entering the Proof of Delivery.

And it seems the OP did not do that.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If the OP had simply filled in the required information in the claim when prompted to add the tracking number and other information, this claim would have had a different outcome, they jumped the shark, instead of taking the time to bring themselves up to speed on eBay policy which is the SELLERS responsibility.

That's why eBay refunded the Buyer because the Seller did not provide the information they were asked to provide in the claim the Buyer opened.

The Terms, Conditions, and rules that WE ALL agreed to when we signed up and started selling on here, are there to be read and researched when required.

People do not take the time to read things when they have an issue, if they did most issues would never happen.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/help-buyer-item-didnt-receive?id=4116&st=3...

What to do when a buyer opens an item not received request

In the email you received telling you the buyer’s issue, select See request details. You’ll find information on whether the buyer is requesting a refund or would prefer to still receive the item. You’ll also see your response options:

Add tracking details: You’ll need to provide tracking within 3 business days of the request being opened, if you haven’t done so already. In order to be protected, tracking must be from one the shipping carriers integrated with eBay and must include the date you shipped the item, the date it was delivered, and the address it was delivered to. If the order has a total cost (total of item(s), shipping and tax) of $750 or more, it should also show the signature confirmation of the recipient. Learn more about our signature confirmation requirements.

More info

Here’s how to add tracking information:

1. Select Add tracking details and then Continue.
  2. Enter the tracking number, or if you don’t have it, the date you shipped the item.
  3. Select the carrier you used from the dropdown list.
  4. You have the option of adding a note to the buyer.
  5. Select Add tracking details.

Refund the buyer: The buyer will get a full refund, including the original shipping costs. Choose this option if you don't have tracking details from one of our integrated shipping carriers showing the item was delivered to the address on the order, or showing the package has been in transit without movement for 7 days or more.

Seriously, it could not be clearer about what you have to do as a Seller when a claim is opened, just follow the rules people...

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for the input. Thank you everyone.

I ended up contacting Ebay business on Facebook.

A lady resolved this one quickly.

This whole thing gave a feeling that Ebay CS really don't care about anything at all. They have endless protocol and procedures to follow.

It is just impossible to find someone to listen. Well, unless you can find someone actually works in Canada or the U.S. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The phone reps don't get their paycheques from eBay but from a subcontractor.

They have very little authority and mostly want to get you off the phone and to meet their daily quota of completed calls.

In my opinion, a Philippine phone rep is probably a better person to talk to since these are prime jobs over there,and you are talking to someone who normally has a better than high school education, knows that Canada is not the USA, and is working there to improve their English while they wait for their immigration papers to come through.

The Utah workers have a mcjob and bad pay and rarely have even finished high school.

Of course, my family keeps marrying Pinoys, so I may be prejudiced.

Those assigned to the social media Chats get an eBay paycheque and have much more authority. They also have time to consider what they are told, in writing, rather than a fast spate of upset words.

And that transcript means that they can be held responsible for what they said.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply