Why can't we know who the watchers are? Can't transparency be created with some rules?

Hi Hope you all are fine & safe. 🙂 

Yes I asked this question " Why can't we know who the watchers are? " I know some privacy issues in it but I think a transparency can be created with some rules like for example "A" named watcher comes and we can send her/him offer or contact via Ebay e-mail JUST ONCE unless they request to contact us more. E-bay can show a note to the watchers when they intend to be watcher.

Also I know that she/he has a right to make a general adjustment from her/his account not to have any offer as a watcher. So why is it hidden? what is the secret? Sorry maybe this is too paranoid but are these watchers just there to watch if we are active or what the price is , when the price is down to let their price down at the same product? Ok personally have no problem with the sellers there is a freedom to all of us to search and compare.. But isn't this something like as a seller have no curtains and somebody's watching with binocular? 

As a seller sometimes it is hard to send offers , offers but no result So in this period, when everything is getting harder, I would like to know to who I make offer to -even once-, who comes and go as a watcher . I want transparency about this. What are your opinions? Thank you.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Why can't we know who the watchers are? Can't transparency be created with some rules?

When eBay began allowing sellers to make offers to watchers, many users complained vociferously about receiving those offers and threatened to stop using the Watch List to follow items, citing privacy reasons.

I suspect that if eBay even hinted that allowing sellers to identify watchers was under consideration, many users would indeed stop using the Watch List, delete all their watched items and keep track of items in other ways, such as using bookmarks, and some people would even stop using eBay altogether.

Sellers are trying to sell their items, but watchers watch for a number of different reasons, not all of them related to immediately buying from that seller. Not all watchers are interested in receiving offers, and it is pointless to attempt to send offers to those folks.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Even though I mainly sell on eBay, I am one of those who no longer uses the Watch list...

I agree many watchers on items have no intention of making purchase, and many potential buyers do not want to be hassled with offers...as a seller I will never use the Send an offer feature...

Watchers are watchers...let them watch in peace!

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your opinion 🙂 Like you said "it is pointless to attempt to send offers to those folks " it is the exact point when we know who the watcher is , we know he/she is just there to watch and no need to have any offer ; so we do not send offer.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your opinion 🙂 We are humans we have to ask sometimes especially when it affects and is hidden . Maybe it's your choice not to send offer , But the question is not the peace... the transparency.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I don't believe watchers are something that anyone needs transparency on...buyers yes but not watchers! Neither eBay nor any selling venue needs to makes watchers IDs publicly known just for the sake of knowing... I believe in full disclosure for buyers but leave watchers behind their binoculars...watchers are harmless so just let them be left to their watching!

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

In my opinion yes they need to make it but not for the sake of knowing , it is needed for to send offer or not. Ofcourse they're harmless I didn't mean anything opposite. But I had an experience. So because of that I insist on..
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

You are on to a Good discussion i have much interest and thoughts on.. 

As a seller, and buyer i have opinions both ways, 

First, as a buyer, if i am interested in a particular item, that is only buy-it-now, without best offer enabled... i put the item on my watch list , hoping the seller may send me a better offer that may just get me to buy the item..  and yes it has worked to my benefit a few times...

Second, as a seller, i will only send out an offer on a item that has multiple watchers, and i send it out at a price that i would have accepted anyways, on best offer.. and yes it works about 25% of the time..

I would like eBay to come up with a system to show me if a particular watcher is watching multiple items. Because many times i have had potential buyers say how come you only sent me a offer on 2 items, i was interested in 5..

Something similar to when you click on a person's bid history, you can see the amount of items they are bidding on by seller, and percentage to each seller.  and they list this as 1,2,3,4,5 etc..

So perhaps when you send an offer to a watcher, eBay could prompt you with , the watcher is also interested in this item..

While we are onto the topic of improving eBay, when i click on an item from a seller i purchased

from before it says you have bought from this seller before, so why when i get an offer can't eBay tell me that the potential buyer is a return customer..

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

If ever eBay should implement such a feature, I think you'll find many potential buyers won't be watching items anymore, but will enact on their privacy just as I would and choose not to watch items at all...in fact they may just go elsewhere to buy...

which by the way I have done(I rarely purchase on eBay anymore as I have found watching an item just leads to unwanted/unsolicited hassling with offers,etc.. ) I have turned off as many communications in my site preferences as possible)

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

It's true that you can't see who the watchers are before you send an offer. But I noticed that you can see who they are after the offer has been sent when you review all the offers.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Speaking of multiple items- I used to be able to put up to three similar items on my Watch List and then compare them.

That seems to have disappeared. Did I miss something.

My Watch List is mostly made up of things I buy repeatedly and is a handy way to keep the sellers with good deals and better service on tap.

I suppose I could use my Wish List instead, but that came along much later than Watch, and I am slow to change my ways.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your opinion and those good points You found the right words and some ideas better than me :)))) YES that can be great At least if they can not provide who the watcher is , ebay can come up with a system that watcher is a return customer or " you have offered this ".." price to this same customer etc..
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your opinion. Yes after there is but it is still limited, hidden like " i***e " or like 1***a I'm not really sure even they are codes or not either :)) Before it is better
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Thank you so much for your opinion and sharing your experience. I don't think you missed anything. About changing : If you're not using something or any service out of purpose, it doesn't mean you're slow to change your way ; you just don't need to change 🙂
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I think the "compare" feature used to be available on the Summary page, but I no longer see it there.

It does still exist on the old "All Buying" page:

https://my.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&currentpage=MyeBayNextAllBuying

If you want to compare items on other lists, you can use the old "All Lists" page:

https://my.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&SortOrder=ASCEND&GotoPage=1&MyeBayListIndex.Filter=Al...

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

I thank you also as I'm learning too. Wow maybe I opened a discussion about a subject It brings many branches to learn and discuss. So glad ! Thank you again 🙂
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I send out a few offers each day, just to make sure the "watchers" get them...

I have picked up a few good Buyers by doing that, they took the "deal" and purchased other items to go with the deal in the same package.

As for the "competition" watching my items, who cares!

It's also why I only use one account for both buying and selling...

And, why I now also list most of my items as "Private Listings" so the Buyer's identity will not be revealed...

Let the "watcher" watch...

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience. Well maybe some of you're right maybe we should accept what's given...
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I don't mind the offer system the way it is. My only gripe is I wish it was immediate payment required. As a seller I get quite a few sales from it. As a buyer I typically appreciate receiving the offers. They can only send you a one time offer so it's not very annoying.
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your opinion and sharing your experience. Yes you're right too.
Message 20 of 25
latest reply