Will Canadian Store Free Listing Insertions MATCH .com store levels in 2022?

Seeing the announcements that the extra 100k Free insertion listings bonus was discontinued after a year, Oct 31 2021, but that ebay is extending it till Dec 31.....does that mean Canada will be converted to the NEW store free insertions listings levels that .com has for their stores in Jan 2022? I was told the reason for the 100k free insertions a year ago, was because Canada had not yet moved to the new store listing levels.

If not, Canadian sellers will either have to PAY MORE for a store upgrade (more than US sellers due to the level differences) or end a bunch of their listings BEFORE Jan 1 to avoid listing charges.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

marnotom!
Community Member

Nobody here has a crystal ball that gives insights into the workings of eBay Canada.  Sellers should be coming up with a plan A and plan B, possibly even a plan C for January, if ZIF listings make a big difference to how and what they list and their bottom line.

The Canadian eBay site is quite different in many respects from the US eBay site so while I would expect some sort of adjustment to be made to the ZIF program, it may not be one that mirrors the US incentives.

eBay Australia, for example, had a promotion earlier this year offering free basic store subscriptions.  I wouldn't be surprised if eBay Canada will be coming up with some way to encourage store upgrades rather than offering more free listings.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You DO NOT need to end your listings before January 1st to avoid charges.

For auctions you let them end as usual.

For Fixed Price listings you end them before their monthly GTC renewal date.  The monthly date is based on when the item was originally listed.   If, for example, a listing was created March 15, it will renew on the 15th of every month, so you would end on the 14th or earlier to avoid listing renewal fees.

Sort your active listings using the "Time left" column to make your ending choices easy.

As for paying more, ebay.com stores cost more per month than ebay.ca stores. And ebay.com listings had their FVF increased by 0.2% earlier in 2021 (no increase on ebay.ca).

-|-

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

EBay is not your friend.

EBay is your landlord.

Any promotion is for the benefit of eBay.

There is a school of thought that Free Listings, which sellers do love, encourage some to list almost unsaleable products, cluttering up the site.

I was told the reason for the 100k free insertions a year ago, was because Canada had not yet moved to the new store listing levels.

Hadn't heard that speculation.

My own hypothesis is that eBay was trying to hold on to sellers frustrated by the move to Managed Payments, which seems to have much tougher qualifications that Paypal.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

What the OP is trying to portray is that on .CA the premium store level comes with 1000 free fixed listings. On .com it's 10,000. I was also told that we would be getting the listing promos to make up for the shortfall. I've been posting like crazy and will go back to 1000 instead of the 3500 I have now.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@retro_thrift wrote:

What the OP is trying to portray is that on .CA the premium store level comes with 1000 free fixed listings. On .com it's 10,000. I was also told that we would be getting the listing promos to make up for the shortfall. I've been posting like crazy and will go back to 1000 instead of the 3500 I have now.

Also consider that the .ca site has different FVF and store subscription fees than the .com site.  My point is that it's important to consider the overall costs involved in listing on eBay and not obsess over one particular aspect of those costs.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Yes, eBay stores on .com cost more just due to exchange, but the levels are still the same.
Anchor is $295 USD whereas .ca Anchor is $295 CAD.
For the extra 0.2% FVF that you pay on .com, you get 100,000 base listings for an Anchor vs just 10,000 on .ca PLUS there are many extra promo zero insertion listings on top of those.
I was able to downgrade my store to a Premium due to the increased amount of 0 insertions they give on .com. A big savings to pay .2% in FVF and only $59.95 CAD for a Premium instead of $295 per month!!
I basically brought this up to let everyone know of the coming inequities between the sites. Listing on .com solves this.
And yes, you are correct about the renewal dates. I was just warning that as of Jan 1 you could be caught paying for listings.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Yes, I was told in a Zoom call with eBay Canada that the 100k free insertion listings were because Canada wasn't ready to move to the new store listing levels that .com had been changed to. They said they were afraid of backlash due to the increase of 0.2% in FVF if that was done. I don't believe that would be the case since the savings in moving down a store level was much better in comparison!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

"Obsess"? Paying $295 CAD for an Anchor on .ca and getting 10,000 listings VS paying $295 USD for an Anchor on .com and getting 100,000 listings.
That is a HUGE difference. And one that meant I was able to downgrade my store to a Premium (I list mostly on .com) so therefore SAVE $235 CAD a month. Paying the additional 0.2% in FVF amounts to $4 on sales of $2000.
THAT was my point.
eBay has always had parity between .ca and .com on store levels (only 1 was USD and the other was CAD), but the amount of free listings were identical. This is new that they increased the USA free listings but have decided not to change the .ca amounts.
Pushing us to list on .com? OK, I am!!!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

"Obsess"? Paying $295 CAD for an Anchor on .ca and getting 10,000 listings VS paying $295 USD for an Anchor on .com and getting 100,000 listings.
That is a HUGE difference. And one that meant I was able to downgrade my store to a Premium (I list mostly on .com) so therefore SAVE $235 CAD a month. Paying the additional 0.2% in FVF amounts to $4 on sales of $2000.

My post was actually in response to someone else's, but I'll make a few musings in response to yours.

The additional free insertions on the .com site are great if you take advantage of that higher ceiling.  I doubt that most sellers here would be listing more than 10K items per month, though, so if keeping selling costs reigned in is of utmost importance, those sellers may be better off with the .ca deal.  Otherwise it's false economy.

By the way, I thought .com Anchor stores had a free fixed-price ceiling of 25K insertions, not 100K, which is the freebie ceiling for the .com site's Enterprise stores.  Does this page need to be updated?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

EBay is not your friend.

EBay is your landlord.

Any promotion is for the benefit of eBay.

There is a school of thought that Free Listings, which sellers do love, encourage some to list almost unsaleable products, cluttering up the site.

I was told the reason for the 100k free insertions a year ago, was because Canada had not yet moved to the new store listing levels.

Hadn't heard that speculation.

My own hypothesis is that eBay was trying to hold on to sellers frustrated by the move to Managed Payments, which seems to have much tougher qualifications that Paypal.

One might think by now that any bugs with MP would have been figured out and working...by now. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic.  😞

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply