Wow what a mind bender to figure out, and safely fix!

I get an ebay offer regarding an item (doesn't have best offer).

I message back with the best I can do.

They message back that they will accept.

I put best offer on the item so that it will automagically accept what we agreed to.

They message back that they can't figure out how to accept the offer.

I message back the button to click on.

They purchase and pay for the item.

They also message me about an aspect of the item they want to make sure is ok.

This is when I notice a problem. The aspect they're asking about ISNT in the item they purchased.

Then after much hulabahoo I finally figure out:

Item one has 5 items, this is the item they asked if they could have a discount on.

Item two which is priced the same as item one has 4 items, this is the one they REPLIED to my offer on item one saying they couldn't get the offer to work.

Item one is what they purchased subsequently with the discount.

Item two is the one they've continued to converse with me afterward and isn't purchased.

After some back and forth we get it ironed out that it is actually Item two that they wanted.

So now I have the dilema of how to fix. 

Item one needs to be relisted but is in sold status.

Item two should theoretically be ended because it is really what sold but isn't sold, HOWEVER I know the bots will see all the emails back and forth on item two which is not sold and me ending it will most certainly (I believe) flag me for selling outside ebay.

So after some thinking I realize I leave the sold item as sold, continue with the buyer communications through the sold item as if that's the one they got and I revise the unsold one (item two) to look like the original one (item one). This avoids ending the conversational unsold one and puts the one that should be back available as available again.

It has been a very long time if ever since I've had such a complicated situation, although the ebay world wasn't so harsh in the old days so in the olden days worries about ending items wouldn't have complicated things as it does now.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@ricarmic wrote:

I get an ebay offer regarding an item (doesn't have best offer).

I message back with the best I can do.

They message back that they will accept.

I put best offer on the item so that it will automagically accept what we agreed to.

They message back that they can't figure out how to accept the offer.

I message back the button to click on.

They purchase and pay for the item.

They also message me about an aspect of the item they want to make sure is ok.

This is when I notice a problem. The aspect they're asking about ISNT in the item they purchased.

Then after much hulabahoo I finally figure out:

Item one has 5 items, this is the item they asked if they could have a discount on.

Item two which is priced the same as item one has 4 items, this is the one they REPLIED to my offer on item one saying they couldn't get the offer to work.

Item one is what they purchased subsequently with the discount.

Item two is the one they've continued to converse with me afterward and isn't purchased.

After some back and forth we get it ironed out that it is actually Item two that they wanted.

So now I have the dilema of how to fix. 

Item one needs to be relisted but is in sold status.

Item two should theoretically be ended because it is really what sold but isn't sold, HOWEVER I know the bots will see all the emails back and forth on item two which is not sold and me ending it will most certainly (I believe) flag me for selling outside ebay.

So after some thinking I realize I leave the sold item as sold, continue with the buyer communications through the sold item as if that's the one they got and I revise the unsold one (item two) to look like the original one (item one). This avoids ending the conversational unsold one and puts the one that should be back available as available again.

It has been a very long time if ever since I've had such a complicated situation, although the ebay world wasn't so harsh in the old days so in the olden days worries about ending items wouldn't have complicated things as it does now.

I sell a variety of mixed lots. I've had, on several occasions customers "coerse" me into splitting/modifying the lots. The things you'll do as an eBay seller to get the sale!! It's a lottery as to whether or not they will follow through and complete a transaction. In many cases I've wished eBay came with a working

images.jpg

button. Why now when asked, i do not delete an old listing before creating a new one until the customers item has been shipped. So much easier to modify a current listing vs starting from scratch. 

Now if add to cart and request revised invoice worked in ALL situations......

-Lotz

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Great detective work and  problem solving skills! 😀

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies Yes I get them all the time as well.

Generally I've got folks who want one item out of a lot of 50 and they want me to do that for $2. which still doesn't generate minimum wage from when I was a teenager!

Almost always I turn them down, the odd time folks have put forward an appropriate offer understanding that I have to redo all the work to relist what's left of the item and I accept those. This happens about 1 times in 100 though.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply