Yes - Ebay Fees are out of Hand!

Ebay insists that they have lowered fees to deal with since the incorporation of there managed paypments - BUT this is not true.

Invoices will have a number of new fees since the inception of Managed Payments. Seems like there Management Board if busy trying to dream up as many additional fees as possible. Thus we have a Invoice fee and now as well a International fee (If you sell out of Country from your home base of Business). They also have seem to have forgotten about there "Top Seller Discount" which is no were to be found. They also have a Special Promotion Discount on your Invoice, but _Surprise_ its not deducted from the Total. I can go on-and-on of how Ebay is sucking the life out any Seller/Business that will try to make even a small profit on this Site - If you do the math you will find you are looseing money hand over fist. Lets even take into account your Delivery expenses and your general business expenses. You find you are running a loss to sell on Ebay. I wish there was a different site to do business on that is as powerful as ebay but ebay is using this fill there pockets out of yours. Good luck selling on ebay - you will be a non-profit charity (you are the charity) organization.

With all Due Respect.

g1v2d3

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Yes - Ebay Fees are out of Hand!

I don't have much experience but i noticed in my performances recently that my fees equal 17.1% of my total sales... I guess it would be even higher if i would charge taxes, and i don't think i have insertion fees in this, this is absolutely crazy

As a newer seller i wonder too sometimes if ebay is really a viable place to sell stuff

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Keep in mind that the percentage you are seeing also includes any shipping labels you purchase through ebay, which your customer should be paying for, so that percentage can sometimes be a bit misleading and appears higher than it really is. The fees you pay eBay are 12.35% + $.30 fixed listing fee (+ provincial tax on those first 2 fees). 

I track all of my expenses outside of eBay for a more accurate fee/profit number, as eBay doesn't take into account the cost of lettermail postage or shipping supplies. For more expensive items ($10+) the total fee % of sales is lower - down to around 13-14% on average. It's the smaller priced items, especially under $5 that have a higher fee %. This is due to the $.30 fixed item fee that pushes up your total fee %. For these items, I average about 20-25% fees on total sales. 

It is enough to make your eyes water,  but when you compare it to Amazon fees or consider the sheer amount of buyer exposure eBay gives you, plus the reputation and experience eBay has, eBay is still definitely one of the best choices.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I don't use eBay shipping labels- I'm loyal to postage stamps and most of my items go LetterPost anyway- but my percentage ran at 12%+ on one account and 18%+ on another.

When we see sales taxes those are pass-throughs of US Internet (state) Sales Tax, although we pay a fee to Managed Payments for that passthrough, just as we did to Paypal.

As I remember it, eBay never said that MP would be cheaper. They said it would be simpler. I would be happy to be corrected with a screenshot preferably.

PP fees are announced to rise next month. 

And PP also keeps their full fee on refunded transactions, while MP only keeps the 30c flat fee. Most sellers won't ever see that, since refunding is not a common occurence.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I don't use eBay shipping labels- I'm loyal to postage stamps and most of my items go LetterPost anyway- but my percentage ran at 12%+ on one account and 18%+ on another.

When we see sales taxes those are pass-throughs of US Internet (state) Sales Tax, although we pay a fee to Managed Payments for that passthrough, just as we did to Paypal.

As I remember it, eBay never said that MP would be cheaper. They said it would be simpler. I would be happy to be corrected with a screenshot preferably.

PP fees are announced to rise next month. 

And PP also keeps their full fee on refunded transactions, while MP only keeps the 30c flat fee. Most sellers won't ever see that, since refunding is not a common occurence.

Full announcement below for MP from 2019 after doing a bit of digging through the eBay archives.

The selling points I saw repeated most often were "simpler" and "some sellers would expect savings". In reviewing this variation it specifies Business sellers. There are a few things that have definitely modifiied from the original announcement to what we have now. 

Need more information about fees?  

Most business sellers can expect to see overall savings on fees**. For information about how fees apply to different categories, click here.

**Savings are based on annual total sales volumes, and comparisons of (a) prior eBay final value fees plus typical 3rd party payment provider fees, with (b) new eBay final value fees (without any 3rd party processing fees).

Ebay Managed Payments Roll Out .com vs .ca - The eBay Canada Community

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

(dot com link)

-Lotz

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

One thing to remember is that once the transition to MP is done, eBay can go back to changing more fees. No more baseline comparison to PayPal needed. PayPal is now charging more for for the flat 30 cent fee and % rate as well as no longer giving full refunds for fees for seller refunds to buyers from what I have been reading here in these forums. Precedent with PayPal now to justify charging more.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply