You Know That New Catalog? It's made of random eBay auctions!

So, you know the lovely new catalog that we all have a hate hate relationship with? 

Did you know it's harvesting most auctions and adding it to the 'ole database? I found this out as I listed one of my hand assembled watches about a few days ago, and it's twin was ready to be listed today (Except this one has different hand color).

So I typed in my usual title, and what did I find? My listing from before with all the specs and details *and* photo of the watch, available as a pre-filled ready to sell template.

Now, I don't care about the photo part, but I'm sure some may very well be wary regarding digital rights. I'm sure we've agreed to so many EULA's that such activity isn't  illegal. That's not the point. The point is, the catalog seems to be populating itself with random junk from every imaginable corner of eBay! I listed a lot of 3 vintage watches and it started listing a whole bunch of similar items, which clearly, were based on another user's selling items as a random lot of 3 items can be anything and everything.

To test my theory, go to the selling page and say you want to sell "Hand Assembled Vostok Amphibia Watch". It should now give you the option of two unique products now that I have listed them.

If that works and it is indeed populating the catalog using every listed auction..um..no wonder the catalog is useless.

Bueller, Bueller......

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I agree with the results in " testing" a listing for "Hand Assembled Vostok Amphibia Watch" using the "Selling Page" method...but I NEVER use the "Selling Page".  No matter what I am listing I always use one of my own listings , apply sell similar and proceed to make my new listing, which never gives me any problems. I also don't sell in any categories that the "catalog" is sucking information to and from, and have no intention now or in the future of getting involved with the catalog.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I also never use the selling page, I also relist or sell similar (or in days gone by reused turbolister items).... I probably only used the selling page once back in 1999!  grinning

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

So, it looks like eBay updated the catalog for some categories to muddy the waters further. Now there are a metric tonne of options for watches, but of course, you can only use 25. I've had a few listings where I wanted to be very specific or a watch had multiple complications etc., and I went over the 25 limit.

Combine this with eBay adding Best Offer to items they feel need it because I'm not cutting a cheque because they figure I'm being greedy with my asking price. I figured at this point, I'm gonna say whatever, list my stuff, if a reasonable offer comes in fine, once my stock is gone I'll just sell locally using other means. I have a life outside of eBay, I don't want to micro manage all the eBay stuff.  If I think about it too much my language deviates from modern English to a more classic "excuse my french" and that's not nice but, explains the frustration level I have when it comes to a company who can't make anything work right tech wise.

eBay's behavior is really not respectful in how they assert these changes. I try and be understanding, but I don't walk in retail stores and tell the store owner what I think I should be paying for an item. (This is in relation to eBay automatically adding Best Offer on items) If I did that on a regular basis I would start to get a reputation and nobody would help me. eBay is basically doing the same thing. 

/rant

Message 4 of 4
latest reply