buyers saying item is unavailable when trying to purchase!?!?!?!?

I am getting a number of buyers asking if item is for sale when purchasing single parts and/or parts are unavailable when trying to combine items. Anyone else??? Doesn`t surprise me one bit, yet another ebay issue... MAJOR ISSUE. How many potential buyers/sales have I lost or will lose. Guess I will have to waste my valuable time and contact ebay about the issue and get no where.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Yes, the matter is beyond disgusting.

Take it for whatever its worth, I spoke to ebay again today and was transferred to a supervisor today almost immediately after I told the rep to save her workaround explanation I don`t want to hear it.

I have spoken to 4  and 1 supervisor reps so far regarding the issue...

Jan 31, 2015

Feb 1, 2015

Feb 3, 2015

Feb 5, 2015

I was informed that Dec 7, 2014 is basically a date where they received enough calls to consider it an issue and was informed it would be resolved on or by Mar 7, 2015 for a second time. I advised them I would be calling every other day for updates until the issue is resolved.

I have also contacted ebay through facebook with 2 responses 

ebay

...thank you for reaching out to us on Facebook. I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and providing detailed examples of your experience with using the Shopping Cart on the .ca platform. I'll make sure to pass along this information to the appropriate departments...

ebay

...thanks for the follow-up information and screenshots. I will forward the additional provided information on. I did want to be up front with you on the process, of when we submit these issues/reports to our Tech Team or any other department needed for the fix. I will not be getting notifications or updates from them regarding the process, therefore you will not be getting any additional follow-up from me.

Thanks again...

The last site bug not long ago where items on ebay.ca involved items specifics not showing when searched and I was persistent about that issue and a the issue was fixed.

Message 21 of 53
latest reply

Message from buyer today....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

I went to the ebay .ca site and its combing shipping for the yz100 jet nozzle and slide. And its offering Canada shipping, I'm in US. Please advise. Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an outrage!!! I`m sooooooooooooooo sick and tired of this!!!

Message 22 of 53
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

I went to the ebay .ca site and its combing shipping for the yz100 jet nozzle and slide. And its offering Canada shipping, I'm in US. Please advise. Thanks!!

Buyer needs to go on the shipping tab and change the country there. Not really difficult....

Message 23 of 53
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

After all these years, why the heck hasn't eBay learned how to make the most fundamental process of a commercial site -- buyers' ability to buy -- function properly?  

Personally, I think it was working pretty well BEFORE they introduced the shopping cart and before they forced buyers to pay immediately for their BIN items. They could just get rid of the shopping carts and everything would work fine again.

Message 24 of 53
latest reply

lady.stark wrote:

Personally, I think it was working pretty well BEFORE they introduced the shopping cart and before they forced buyers to pay immediately for their BIN items. They could just get rid of the shopping carts and everything would work fine again.

Unfortunately, I think the shopping cart is pretty much entrenched on eBay.com by now, buyers are used to it, and apparently it works well.  It also probably is more in line with what major retail online sites do, so in that way is more familiar to new shoppers on eBay as well.  

From what little information has been given by the eBay.ca staffers, my feeling is that they introduced the cart on .ca prematurely (in eBay's usual way) without either anticipating or checking for the problems that ensued.  It's probably not easy now to rip that cart programming out of the eBay.ca site, so I think we're stuck with this ludicrous problem.  

From what eBay has said, the technical issues in making the .ca cart completely compatible with .com are so enormous, they evidently haven't even got to the point of starting to work on it, let alone being able to provide an ETA.  It seems the people in San Jose don't consider our little Canadian problems worth their urgent attention.

Meanwhile, how can anyone estimate how many combined U.S. sales Cdn sellers have lost as a result of this SNAFU?  I can only assume that the few who manage to struggle through by backing out and purchasing each item individually represent only a small portion of those who try, fail, and give up in disgust or frustration. 

Message 25 of 53
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

Buyer needs to go on the shipping tab and change the country there. Not really difficult....

Thats NOT the problem. This is the result of suggesting a possible workaround that ebay.com buyers switch and sign into  to ebay.ca so the cart button is visible. Now its apparent that this results in ebay.ca thinking they have canadian addresses. I might as well close shop after years on ebay. Its clear this is resulting in a MAJOR impact on sales. I don`t think any buyer would deal with a misleading glitch, but instead leave and go buy from a US seller.

Message 26 of 53
latest reply

I suppose anything is possible but I do find it hard to believe that is what's happening. I can go into any site and check a shipping price as if I am in another country but as soon as I add an item to a cart, it is going to give me a price for my primary shipping address. Is it possible that the buyer saw the items were being sent br Canada Post and just got confused?
Message 27 of 53
latest reply

This situation is totally skewed for Canadian seller and we are actually considering possible legal action against ebay.ca for breach of contract.

The lawyer firm we approached is currently looking over ebay's rules and policies. We are now 8 days into this process and the possibility of a "class action lawsuit" for loss of income and breach of contract and failure to provide services agreed by contract  is being considered.

If we decide to go forward with this lawsuit, the lawyer's firm will be creating a website for Canadian ebay seller to register so they can be included. Newspaper ads would also be circulated.

We will update here in forums once a final decision is taken. This would be a fairly expensive venture but we are seriously considering going forward.

Message 28 of 53
latest reply

When the question was raised today at the weekly board hour, this is the reply received from eBay.ca staffer:

"This is easier to explain from a buyer point of view rather than a seller's.

On eBay.com, buyers can only put items that were listed on eBay.com in the shopping cart. Any items that were listed on other sites they have to buy via the classic eBay checkout. This includes BIN items from other sites, which on eBay.com have to be paid for in order to "own" them (meaning until a BIN item is paid for, someone else could buy it). As a result, if a Canadian seller has combined shipping discount rules set up for their BIN items, buyers on eBay.com won't be able to get those combined shipping discounts. If a Canadian seller listed their items on eBay.com instead, then this problem goes away and US buyers can use the shopping cart to combine items.

On eBay.ca, the shopping cart was built differently: it can take any items listed on any eBay site in any currency, regardless of who or where the buyer is. We could call it a "universal shopping cart." This means that if a CA seller gets an email from a US buyer saying "I can't combine your items into one order, the site wants me to pay for each one individually with full shipping," the seller can tell them to go make their purchase on eBay.ca instead, where the shopping cart will work for them to buy the same items."

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/February-11th-2015-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/29374...

Message 29 of 53
latest reply

Yes, well, I would strongly suggest all sellers read the remainder of that string.  

Raphael's answer you quoted was just the regular "party line" of eBay, suggesting that somehow Cdn sellers are the authors of their own misfortune if they don't use the workaround of listing on eBay.com.  

Something is rotten in the state of eBay if they can't manage to make all shopping carts on all sites operate seamlessly with each other.  

His answer to me that my statements were "grossly" in error did nothing to help the situation.  

That is the kind of response that is only making matters worse.  

I understand completely that the eBay.ca shopping cart has no issues and no faulty programming as long as one is logged onto eBay.ca.  What is faulty, actually, is that the eBay.ca cart doesn't function -- or if you prefer, "talk" -- with other sites.  It's almost as if eBay is dozens of separate entities, like trying to make Ford parts fit a Chevrolet car. 

Message 30 of 53
latest reply

Nothing like paying fee after fee on top of more fees for listing items that no one can buy. If they figure out how to we pay additional ebay and paypal fees for separate transactions. 

The standard text book responses from ebay are a slap in the face at this point. A solid answer and progress report to prove they are actively addressing the issue is what we want, need, and deserve.

I didn`t find the conclusion comment on todays weekly hour board amusing as it appears ebay did.

Yet another cart disconnect thread opened up...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Shopping-Cart-Diconnect/m-p/293762#U293762

and another?

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/Combined-Shipping-and-Sort-Issues/qaq-p/293605#U293605

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Yes, well, I would strongly suggest all sellers read the remainder of that string.  

Raphael's answer you quoted was just the regular "party line" of eBay, suggesting that somehow Cdn sellers are the authors of their own misfortune if they don't use the workaround of listing on eBay.com.  

Something is rotten in the state of eBay if they can't manage to make all shopping carts on all sites operate seamlessly with each other.  

His answer to me that my statements were "grossly" in error did nothing to help the situation.  

That is the kind of response that is only making matters worse.  

I understand completely that the eBay.ca shopping cart has no issues and no faulty programming as long as one is logged onto eBay.ca.  What is faulty, actually, is that the eBay.ca cart doesn't function -- or if you prefer, "talk" -- with other sites.  It's almost as if eBay is dozens of separate entities, like trying to make Ford parts fit a Chevrolet car. 

I usually don't become involved in the weekly board discussion or post much elsewhere in the forums anymore, but I'm always reading Smiley Wink

I cannot believe he responded to you like that quite frankly.

Then on top of that his last post was downright mocking the situation!

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

The problem is that when I just checked the numbers for to categories Fashion and Collectibles,. Canadians only have between 13% to 18% of the listings in North America. The numbers sold were worse Fashion about 2% and Collectibles 4% - 4.5%. The number do fluctuate constantly. I don't think the glitch with the cart accounts for all the low numbers but they don't help to convince someone to hurry with the solution either.

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

The problem is a little bigger than just the cart. I noticed earlier my store categories were not showing up on my mobile app nor anyone else's. I just tested out combined shipping on my phone with two listings from the same seller made on ebay.ca with a combined shipping rule and I couldn't get the deal. When I went to my desktop I could pay for them together but on my phone I had to pay separately or as stated in the description wait for invoice. I also noticed if the seller has more than one shipping option per destination I only see the first one on my phone.

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

As an FYI if you want to bulk move your listings from one site to the other.

You need turbolister and Excel.

If new to turbolister, you need to download the program and synchronize with ebay. this may take awhile.

Your listings need to be in 'Inventory' copy and paste if need be

Once in 'Inventory' highlight selected listings

Under the file button is 'export selected Items'

Make sure to select the middle format 'turbolister format(csv file)'

When opened in excel there should be the first column 'site' 0 = United states and 2 = Canada just switch as you like.

When done just import back to turbolister

Select items to do bulk edit to switch shipping values accordingly

Very important double check the listings for site specific options ie  collectibles for stores on .com include free galleryplus but .ca doesn't. That mistake almost cost me $900.

I found this information some where here on the sellers board but I can't seem to find it now.

Do Not do more than 900 listings or you might lose the pictures.

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

@007steveb16 wrote:

I usually don't become involved in the weekly board discussion or post much elsewhere in the forums anymore, but I'm always reading Smiley Wink

Thank you for that -- I was thinking perhaps I was just being too sensitive, but I was shocked at his berating and insulting me openly like that.  I didn't find it very helpful or professional.  And then just shutting the discussion down with a rather sarcastic comment.  

It isn't sellers' fault (or our responsibility) that things don't function properly, yet we're being scolded for bringing the matter up.  I'm sorry eBay.ca thinks this is an overworked subject, but I feel it is far more serious to Canadian sellers than management seems to think.  To call it a "major pain" as Raphael did makes it sound like a mere inconvenience.  

Let me put it this way: eBay talks about issues they perceive may turn buyers away, or prevent them from returning, as a rationale for the defect system.  Well, honestly, if I were a U.S. buyer and went to, say, the Sears.ca site and found I couldn't easily combine items in an online cart as I expected, would I be likely to make any purchase at all?  Would I ever be inclined return to try again?  

Essentially what this is doing, in my view, is turning a whole lot of buyers away from the Canadian site.  We as sellers will never know how many, and I doubt eBay can capture those statistics, but I'm sure it isn't making the eBay.ca site more popular with non-Canadian buyers who have tried to make a multiple purchase and failed.  My opinion is that the ones who do get through (by backing out and buying items one by one) represent a minority of those who may have tried and given up. 

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@007steveb16 wrote:

Thank you for that -- I was thinking perhaps I was just being too sensitive, but I was shocked at his berating and insulting me openly like that.  I didn't find it very helpful or professional.  And then just shutting the discussion down with a rather sarcastic comment.  

It isn't sellers' fault (or our responsibility) that things don't function properly, yet we're being scolded for bringing the matter up.  I'm sorry eBay.ca thinks this is an overworked subject, but I feel it is far more serious to Canadian sellers than management seems to think.  To call it a "major pain" as Raphael did makes it sound like a mere inconvenience.  

Let me put it this way: eBay talks about issues they perceive may turn buyers away, or prevent them from returning, as a rationale for the defect system.  Well, honestly, if I were a U.S. buyer and went to, say, the Sears.ca site and found I couldn't easily combine items in an online cart as I expected, would I be likely to make any purchase at all?  Would I ever be inclined return to try again?  

Essentially what this is doing, in my view, is turning a whole lot of buyers away from the Canadian site.  We as sellers will never know how many, and I doubt eBay can capture those statistics, but I'm sure it isn't making the eBay.ca site more popular with non-Canadian buyers who have tried to make a multiple purchase and failed.  My opinion is that the ones who do get through (by backing out and buying items one by one) represent a minority of those who may have tried and given up. 

Yeah! I saw that too and was disgusted.  Why are you/we fighting so hard to get something to work the way it should?  And, we are not using the system for free.

Good job Rose-dee for making your point(s) over there.  I was reading your comments and responding as though you could hear me 🙂

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 37 of 53
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@007steveb16 wrote:

One thing I always keep in mind is it seems like Raph is working with his, "back up against the wall", so to speak.

.com is the mother ship let's remember. With that last set of job cuts too, I wonder if anything happened with our guys??

I've always felt that the help hours are more "lip service" than anything else. Not out of spite but as a result of circumstance. I mean look how many they've cancelled...

I'm not saying they don't care but I feel like there's only so much room for them to work within.

I sometime picture them asking .com with a voice similar to Oliver...."Please, Sir, I want some more"

United States: 318 million  Wallets

Canada: 35 million Wallets

Just sayin....I do agree though that we cannot let our voices to silent.

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

@007steveb16 wrote:

One thing I always keep in mind is it seems like Raph is working with his, "back up against the wall", so to speak.

.com is the mother ship let's remember. With that last set of job cuts too, I wonder if anything happened with our guys??

I've always felt that the help hours are more "lip service" than anything else. Not out of spite but as a result of circumstance. I mean look how many they've cancelled...

I'm not saying they don't care but I feel like there's only so much room for them to work within.

I sometime picture them asking .com with a voice similar to Oliver...."Please, Sir, I want some more"

United States: 318 million  Wallets

Canada: 35 million Wallets

Just sayin....I do agree though that we cannot let our voices to silent.

I do agree with everything you've said above, although I've never seen Raphael being quite so shrill and brusque as he was this week.  Maybe you're right that those guys are running scared.  

I wanted to post a follow-up on this board, because I'm not sure anyone at the eBay.ca office will do a follow-up about this cart problem unless asked.  After the Wed. session this week I sent Raphael an email trying, once again, to explain my views.  

What I got was a surprise: an answer that was finally direct, straightforward, and made sense, although I don't think a lot of sellers will be happy to hear it.

To put in a nutshell what he said, the "carts" on eBay are site-specific and were not designed to be universal, i.e. workable from one site to the other, because of deep historical programming considerations (of which, he is right, I'm completely ignorant).  This goes back very far into eBay's history, and the sense I got was that if anyone ever wanted to make the "cart" idea universal between all eBay sites, the sites themselves would have to be redesigned.  I suppose it's like a very old house on a very complex foundation.  To change the foundation, you'd have to tear the house down and start over.  At least, that was the gist of it.  Not that, apparently, the eBay.ca staffers wouldn't love to see a "universal cart", but realistically it just isn't feasible.

So, that being said (finally clearly), we as Cdn sellers are faced with decisions about the "workarounds" mentioned by Raphael this Wed. if we want to keep our combined discounts functioning for users of sites other than eBay.ca.  None of those "solutions" is very attractive to me, for various reasons, so I think I may just remove my discount rule, and just continue to partially refund shipping for U.S. customers who buy multiple items if they do manage to get through the system. 

One point I still am not clear on is why eBay hasn't removed the cart from the Canadian site entirely (I've asked this question a few times at the Wed. sessions but have never really got an answer).  From my perspective -- as 'lady stark' mentioned above -- things were working just fine before the cart was introduced on .ca, then all hell broke loose.  Can't we just dump the troublesome cart, I wonder?  

Raphael did say that the vast majority of Canadian sellers aren't seriously affected by this cart disconnect issue.  I find that hard to believe.  So, even though these boards don't offer "surveys" like the old discussion boards did, I'd be very interested to hear how many Cdn sellers are having an issue with this, and/or with a serious downtown in multiple-item orders.  

Here is the problem though:  there is no way to know for sure how many buyers didn't make a multiple purchase because they may have tried and given up -- it's impossible to count something you don't see.  All we can go by is a comparison to previous selling history, and the word of any non-Canadian buyers who do bother to contact us to tell us they're having a problem. 

I may repeat the above on a new string so we can collect some polling.  

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

I agree. Raphael is the 'messenger', not the one who decides how the .com cart is going to work so asking him week after week about the when the situation is going to be fixed is probably very frustrating. I realize that the situation is even more frustrating for some Canadian sellers but I do think that the Canadian ebay staff have stated these concerns to the powers that be at .com and I suspect that Raphael can't do much more than try to help sellers lessen the impact of the cart situation.

Whether or not it is 'right' or 'fair' that sellers have to try and work around these problems, it's more effective imo to do what we can rather than complain to the ebay .ca reps about it again and again. If they were the decision makers then yes...I can see questioning them more often and perhaps getting angry about it but I don't believe that asking them the same questions weekly or bi weekly is going to get any results. I'm not saying that the sellers affected should just go away and never discuss the problem with the reps, but I don't think that shooting the messenger helps.

Perhaps asking the reps at the .com weekly board session will get faster results....it might not help  but it can't hurt to ask them about it. BUT...keep in mind that it is the .com cart that does not allow listings from other sites to be added to the cart.  The newer .ca cart is actually set up better than the .com ( and UK) cart and is compatible with other carts so complaining about the .ca cart to the .com reps is not accurate. As Raphael has mentioned, the .ca cart is used only if the buyer is on the .ca site. If a buyer is on the .com site then the .com cart is being used.

Message 40 of 53
latest reply