canadapost price increase?

tikazyg
Community Member

did canada post recently up their price for shipping parcels or something?

..i can't see anything on their website, but notice many video games are now up around $15 shipping (when they used to be around $5)

i already stopped buying from US sellers a few years ago when they went up to about $20 to ship here.. now it looks like canada prices have gone up too.. is the post trying to kill private small sales or what  😞

hope this is just a few greedy/foolish posters, but was shocked today reading the shipping prices.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: canadapost price increase?

"... now it looks like canada prices have gone up too..."

The problem resides with some sellers.

Sellers decide which method they will use to ship their goods to buyers.

Many want to keep the shipping price low and ship "lettermail" within Canada (works well if under 2cm thick). 

Other sellers want protection and use much more expensive services requiring tracking and/or signature by buyer upon receipt.

You, as a buyer, determine who you want to buy from.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I tried to ship a PS3 video game yesterday (within Canada), the lowest possible shipping option would cost me $17 CAD.

I came home and immediately ended every video game listing I had up.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

How thick was your package/envelope?  You can use lettermail within Canada UP TO 2CM (20mm)

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Truthfully I didn't measure it prior to going, but after doing so now I'd say it's exactly 2cm, I guess she didn't agree at the post office.

I used a regular 9/10x6in bubble mailer that I've used before. They've only ever cost me $3-$6 before for within Canada.

I will try a polybag with the game wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap. See if that can save me a few mms.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

"it's exactly 2cm, I guess she didn't agree at the post office."

It does not matter if the clerk agrees or not. 

I suggest you make yourself a guide measuring exactly 20mm and use it to confirm your envelopes go through without forcing.

All you need to do - as long as the thickness does not exceed 20mm -  is put the correct amount of postage (based on weight) on the envelope and put it in the mail box.

Unfortunately, many postal clerks see their jobs as trying to get as much revenue for Canada Post as possible.

As was at the Napanee Post Office yesterday mailing two heavy boxes to Ottawa.  The postal clerk insisted I should use Priority or at least Expedited.  I told him I wanted the cheap "parcel" rate and I had already affixed the necessary stamps on the boxes..  "It may take a week or two to get there!" 

Oh well, the parcels mailed yesterday morning arrived at destination and were delivered before 10:00am this morning!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@muramvsv wrote:
Truthfully I didn't measure it prior to going, but after doing so now I'd say it's exactly 2cm, I guess she didn't agree at the post office.

Easiest thing to do is to take a piece of corrugated cardboard and make yourself a template with a 20mm opening. Canada Post used to offer a premade one, not sure if that is still available via the website as it has been years since I've used lettermail. Some of the clerks get pretty picky as well if they think your lettermail contains physical goods.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I usually ever just bring my packages up to the counter. I will take your advice and just make sure I have everything done proper myself and drop in mail box.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

As a previous seller of video games, I'd like to chime in here.

I always use #0 bubble envelopes, sometimes from Staples, sometimes from the dollar store, and never had problems with any of them. (It sounds like this is what you are already using.)

I have always measured every package I have sent lettermail to ensure it is <20mm, and it usually always came to around 18-19mm.

Did the clerk try to slip the package through their little plastic slot, or just said it was too thick without measuring it? It may come down to a less-than-knowledgeable clerk.

Oversized lettermail runs from $1.80 to $5.05 (before taxes), though most of what I sold ended up costing $2.95 (before taxes). I never had an issue with any package going missing through lettermail.

Hopefully you consider re-listing your items. I understand it can be quite a shock to be quoted a $17 shipping charge just for a used video game, but fear not. Your previous shipping charges of $3-6 are still applicable today, provided your package does not exceed 20mm in thickness.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

"Some of the clerks get pretty picky as well if they think your lettermail contains physical goods."

That is true but... they got it wrong!  When shipping within Canada, you can use lettermail if no more than 20mm thick even if the envelope or parcel contains physical goods.

Rules are different when shipping outside Canada where letterpost can technically only be used for "correspondence".

Many postal clerks unfortunately do not understand the difference.  Bad training!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Many postal clerks unfortunately do not understand the difference.  Bad training!

Non-existent in many cases. Many of the ones near here don't even have regular staff that cover the postal desks. I prefer to use a local rural post office that has been around for many years when I have the need to use Canada Post.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yes, #0 are the ones, but I bought these from the Post Office this time since I was waiting on a package of mailers (they were still #0 however) and had to get a game out quickly. They do seem thicker, but you can still press down with your fingers easily enough to see how thick the game is.

Also, I've never measured my packages since I've only ever sold cards and video games. Everything usually goes smoothly.

Now that you mention it, $2.95 is the number I am very familiar with as well.

I can't recall for sure if she tried to fit it through the slot. The slot did seem tiny though, like as thick as 5 white personal letter envelopes stacked on one another. :S Maybe my perception is messed up, lol.

I shall keep at it though. Just adjust my listings accordingly and see.
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Not all size "0" envelopes are the same thickness. Brown kraft paper bubble envelopes work well for me, avoid padded type envelopes.

One alternative thickness measure check is to try putting it through the small mail slot in a red mail box (or the slot beside the counter at a postal outlet) -- if it goes through it's under 2cm.

-..-

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I think the mailbox slot is a little larger than that, but frankly, if I have the right postage (or label) on it, I don't see any reason to bother the clerk at the postal outlet. The guy who picks up at the boxes doesn't seem to care.

I do find the Post Office clerks a little more helpful. they get excited by my envelopes and packages covered in stamps.

By the way OP, while you can't print off a label for LetterMail/LetterPost, you can print a (discounted) label for Light Packet to the USA. And again, toss it into the letterbox.

And there are sellers of discount postage stamps right here on eBay. But I couldn't possibly comment on that.

I've been using the eBay branded bubble envelopes for my occasional CD sale and they are fine for the 2cm limit. DVDs I put in the same unpadded poly envelopes I use for paperbacks. So far , no complaints of damage.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I've sold a lot of DVDs and games over the years, all similar in size using #0 envelopes from various sources, and have never had an issue with thickness. Then again, what has worked for me might not work for someone else.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Repackaged, attempted to use Paypal to purchase my packing slip and the total is $18.98 CAD for Regular Parcel.

Dimensions: 25cm x 15cm x 2cm - 175grams.

Something is wrong here, no?
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

You are unable to print a label for Lettermail online. You have to either affix your own stamps (if you already have stamps), or take it to the postal outlet and purchase postage there.
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

By the way OP, while you can't print off a label for LetterMail/LetterPost, you can print a (discounted) label for Light Packet to the USA. And again, toss it into the letterbox.

Light packet mail isnt discounted but as you said a label can be printed on PayPal as long as the seller starts the shipping label from the eBay site.  

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Went back to the post office today, she tells me that 2cm isn't the limit for letter mail and it HAS to go parcel.

Does my postal worker hate me or something? If I drop the package in the mail box, will it be sent back to me? She measured herself and said it was exactly 2cm also.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply