'eBay Deletes Seller Listings in Brash Move'

eBay Deletes Seller Listings in Brash Move

eBay is supposed to be a venue only, bringing buyers and sellers together. But eBay has increasingly gotten hands-on and now it can delete sellers' listings at will (and as we've previously reported, can even relist a seller's inactive listings).

A reader forwarded a copy of a letter they received from eBay.....

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Hmmmm.. I wonder what the "formula" is for them deciding the listings are too old, it might be category specific, overall sales volume specific, lack of views specific, the same conundrum we have trying to understand cassini....

I've got GTC listings running that are up to 8 or 9  years running.

My "on sale" scheme is that the older the item is, the greater the discount applied against it. (I believe everything older than a year has a discount on it)

A couple days ago I sold an item listed since 2009..

Several 2014/2015 listed items have sold in the last couple weeks (and this is a normal volume of older stuff selling).

At least in my (stamp) world, often the challenge is waiting till someone with the correct interest arrives....and that can take time.

I'll await news in my inbox if it ends up affecting me...since I've devolved to running things via "management by exception" I'll deal with the exception if it arrives....

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hey if eBay does not want a solid base of inventory for Buyers to browse/ watch / purchase, no worries.

I used to have listings running 5-6 years without a single sale, then all of a sudden an item becomes "hot" and they sell thats how it works.

I will do as I have been doing for the last year, list less on ebay and move more to my own sites, it's costs me less too and I pass the savings on to my off ebay Buyers. And as for eBay's claim about being the only game in town, they lost that to direct Social Media transactions a long time ago for collectibles.

It's like the Nazi - Concentration Camp story, I also complained about those listings & got a call directly from eBay utah.

Needless to say the questionable listings are still live. Just like the issue of combined shipping discounts and the broken shopping cart.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

You know looking at this and other recent changes, one gets the idea they are trying to strong arm sellers into reducing prices here in an effort to boost sales conversions across the board and prop up revenues. This sort of behavior is underhanded for a marketplace. Buyers have the ability to sort by price so it is not as if this is hampering the ability of a buyer to purchase an item or other sellers to sell their item. Sellers have the ability to promote or highlight their listings if they are worried about standing out. If anything listings at a higher price allow a seller to more readily sell their cheaper listing for the same item since the buyer gets some sense of a savings.

Ebay needs to stop coming up with new ways to antagonize sellers and actually fix things that are demonstrably broken and inefficient. This forum alone brings up enough examples of that on a regular basis. Any marketing exec who only has the creativity to swing a price hammer does not deserve their position. I mean come on, much of the stated policy and documentation on the site is woefully inadequate or outdated, and yet staff have the time to come up with new ways to anger the seller base?

Who in marketing approves a program where you end a listing prematurely for reasons unrelated to a policy violation and then slips in Any fees for listings that were ended early for not following policy won't be credited to your account? Someone there needs to be educated and reminded that sellers are equally valuable customers. Stop pissing them off.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Hmmmm.. I wonder what the "formula" is for them deciding the listings are too old, it might be category specific, overall sales volume specific, lack of views specific, the same conundrum we have trying to understand cassini....

The algorithms tend to be written by intern code monkeys judging by the level of competence I have seen in the past. There is probably some arbitrary threshold on the ratio of impressions to sales. These things usually aren't based on logic but rather written backwards from a marketing target.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I was very rude on the dotCOM boards when the new layout (with Participation Badges!! Woo-hoo!!) came in.

The twirp who designed it mentioned that he had been with eBay for less than three months.

I was sarcastic.

And got pink-slapped.

Well , whoodeefriggindoo.

Any company that turns such an important part of their social media outreach over to someone who has not yet had his first performance review.....

I'm ..... trying not to be sarcastic again.

I mean, I have all those Participation Badges to protect.

fitness-awards.png

On a slightly more serious note.

EBay does add a note to older listings at the 16 month mark. I do find that useful.

Some I have deleted and donated.

Some I have updated-- occasionally raising prices.

Some I have left alone.

Some I have taken down for a month and then relisted unchanged.

Because we closed down for a couple of months in 2014 while moving west, I don't have many listings older than that. But I sold a book last month that I had in stock since 2005, going by the inventory slip inside the cover.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

fitness-awards.png  

On a slightly more serious note.

EBay does add a note to older listings at the 16 month mark. I do find that useful.

You've touched on the important bit here. Namely there are more productive ways for ebay to provide sellers with tools to deal with aging inventory versus deleting your listings then rubbing in your face by saying oh hey sorry not crediting any fees. 

A more productive way to deal with the problem (for both parties) would be to create seller tools that actually make use of the data ebay already has. They already have the number of days an item has been listed, item specifics to link and compare to same item sales by other sellers, traffic stats, etc. Turn that into a dead stock report with quick and easy tools like setting a promo price or free shipping without having to go through painfully slow revise/edit work flow on a sku by sku basis. If I'm a seller with thousands of listings, these things occur because of a manageability issue. These are things that I directly implemented with ecommerce retailers in the past and I can tell you it yields much better results than running around trying to enforce new policies that antagonize.

You can work on front end and policies as much as you like but improving back end seller tools will yield better results.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

All listings are ended and relisted after being on eBay for about 12-13 months...

Not too sure.... But 

On the UK site....If  listings are  on eBay longer than 16 months ... Is there an extra listing charge each month?

A notification about the  16 month threshold was more noticeable on the site  years ago than today..

But then  My listings get relisted before that 16 months arrives...

The important thing on eBay is that one must constantly work and rework the listings... 

Always adding new inventory  and deleting "old"   inventory  and removing inventory that is just is not selling.

I used to list a lot of biographies of hockey players... from the 1970's and 1980's.....They were removed from eBay....

I did this... and  surprise... so did  everyone else

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I don't know whether the eBay rep really answered your question (re listings being arbitrarily ended) today.  He seemed to say two different things, both of which were rather ambiguous at best.  His last comment was: 

In the interim, since the 'stale listings' process was a one-time thing (as I understand it), your listings should not be at risk.

Whatever that means.  What "one-time thing"?  I thought this was happening currently, at least according to your question. 

Earlier (Post #25) he had said: " the concerns have already been passed up to Senior Management at eBay and actions are underway to determine what the plan is for communication / policy on this kind of a change in the future."    

Huh????  Woman Very Happy

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:
You can work on front end and policies as much as you like but improving back end seller tools will yield better results.

Hear, hear.  Absolutely, positively.  

How is it that sellers have been saying this for years, yet eBay persists in doing exactly the opposite, with the end effect of thwarting sellers' efforts, and wasting a whole lot of their time?  Doesn't it make sense that if sellers do well, eBay does well?  The land where black is white and down is up. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

If  listings are  on eBay longer than 16 months ... Is there an extra listing charge each month?

No.

I do just leave some-- mostly dress patterns-- and haven't noticed any rise in fees.

I have a Store so most of my listings are 'free'.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Huh. Now there's an Announcement. If I'm not mistaken, the details going forward seem to be different than the details as it stood. And it still doesn't indicate whether eBay will warn the seller that deletion is imminent which would be what I'd expect.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

If I had to guess I would say that my saving grace is views, and the view counts will be probably stronger in the last year because the items are all on sale which increases their visibility and therefore views.

My oldest listings are 10 years old now.....the lowest views was 700, most are between 1000 and 2500 views.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

That charge for listings on eBay longer than 16 months  was most likely applied on eBay.UK  a few years back...

Could not find any reference to this on the UK site.

When I heard about this it was my choice to end and relist all listings at about 12 months  of being on eBay

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

The link in Reply 12 also refers to Duplicate listings.

The book category required a clean up with respect to duplicates.

Two major sellers  have a total disregard with respect to duplicate listing...

Major sellers with listings in the millions of number of listing.

They and others who also list books  have a total disregard for picture policy.

The book category needs a   major ... clean up

We Shall See !

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I ended about 100 older listings that hadn't commanded much attention two months ago but my intention was as far from altruism as is possible. I was tired of paying insertion fees for 125+ items above my store subscription allotment each month for them as Buy It Nows so I shifted those low-interest, older, single-quantity listings to Auction of a variety of durations included in my unused Auctions allotment. And assigned Auto-Relist Until Sold.
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

So that does nothing to 'de-clutter the buyer search experience' but it took some pressure from my monthly fees. I was careful not to shift-to-auction any of my dual-category listings because those would have cost extra and every ten days instead of 30.

If eBay truly wants to improve the buyer search experience, they'll implement more filters to allow buyers to choose what they want to see. Not choose those parameters for them.

I NEVER want to see the same photo and price on an item from 28 different sellers based in Asia on ANY of my searches. Clean those up. For starters.
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Stock photos are the standard for book sellers... specifically those with thousands and up to millions of books.

and then with the millions of listings......  they are short on actual photos of the books,  and then with virtually no specific condition of the the book being listed

Even the rule for use of stock photos is ignored

Five listings...  all with a different condition, different price and more, but with the same stock photo....  Use of the same stock photo makes these listings a duplicate listing......

Message 19 of 19
latest reply