eBay Seller Release to Include Changes to Fees, Feedback

By Ina Steiner
EcommerceBytes.com
February 28, 2012

eBay will announce the first Seller Release of 2012 today, and fees and feedback are on the table. Some of the forthcoming policy changes are designed to encourage sellers to send items quickly and reward sellers for having no communication with buyers, and eBay is raising the bar for Top Rated Sellers who wish to receive the 20% Final Value Fee discount.

Beginning July 2nd, eBay will offer sellers free image hosting, and beginning in the fall, all listings will be required to have at least one picture - additional quality standards for pictures will also be in effect.

eBay will also raise the maximum Final Value Fee for auction listings to $250 for non-Store owners, which impacts auctions that close at $1,111 and above.

for more:  http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y12/m02/i28/s00 

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

Re: eBay Seller Release to Include Changes to Fees, Feedback

lordmorbid
Community Member

line1: reply this to the thread

Message 141 of 151
latest reply

Please Tell me WHY Ebay does not want us to communicate with Buyer?

I feel stupid, as a seller - It is my practice to EMAIL the customer as soon as I mail their item to assure them it is on the way. I THOUGHT this was a good thing to do!

I must be stupid - but I really need to know WHY I should NOT communicate with them

Message 142 of 151
latest reply

"It is my practice to EMAIL the customer as soon as I mail their item"

I do the same.  It's OK.  Do not worry about it. 

Based on your many posts, you definitely seem to worry too much. List your stuff, sell your stuff, collect your money, give feedback to buyers and be happy! 🙂

Message 143 of 151
latest reply

Here is a good example of what the new 10% flat fee hike will do.

This January, I sold a vintage radio for $1,950.00 - I paid $80.29 in FVF.

May 1 of this year, for the same radio, the FVF will be $195.00

That is an increase of well over 100% and that is just criminal.

How can that be justified? Other than just a massive and very unfair cash grab.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 144 of 151
latest reply

portabuddy
Community Member

here is my issue. i cant even get the FVF because of one isse i ship 80% of my low priced items to the states 10% to over seas and 10% here. roughly. ebay states that the item will take 3-5 days to reach the buyer... Thats so un-realistic its not even funny. i sell my item at $10 shipped. by postal mail. i cant ship with tracking. thats like $14, so what i loose $4 on everything i sell? no ones paying $28 for a sticker.

All my items are shipped same day, if not the nexty

All questions are answered within 1 hour if im awake.

"Its called the American dream, because you have to be asleep in order to believe in it."
---George Carlin
Message 145 of 151
latest reply

Here is a good example of what the new 10% flat fee hike will do.

This January, I sold a vintage radio for $1,950.00 - I paid $80.29 in FVF.

May 1 of this year, for the same radio, the FVF will be $195.00

That is an increase of well over 100% and that is just criminal.

How can that be justified? Other than just a massive and very unfair cash grab.

Wrong topic ... This topic is about the 2012 Spring Seller release ....

Message 146 of 151
latest reply

Sorry it is you thats wrong - see above it says: Re: eBay Seller Release to Include Changes to Fees, Feedback Mar 21, 2013 09:15 PM

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 147 of 151
latest reply

Sorry it is you thats wrong - see above it says: Re: eBay Seller Release to Include Changes to Fees, Feedback Mar 21, 2013 09:15 PM

This topic was about the 2012 seller release until you posted about the 2013 Seller Update. Your post is in the wrong topic. Not that it matters really. But no point in continuing this old topic as most posts are about the current 2013 release. It might be confusing to some trying to get info on the current 2013 Seller Update.

Read post #1 by Pierre dated Feb 28, 2012

By Ina Steiner
EcommerceBytes.com
February 28, 2012

eBay will announce the first Seller Release of 2012 today, and fees and feedback are on the table. Some of the forthcoming policy changes are designed to encourage sellers to send items quickly and reward sellers for having no communication with buyers, and eBay is raising the bar for Top Rated Sellers who wish to receive the 20% Final Value Fee discount.

Beginning July 2nd, eBay will offer sellers free image hosting, and beginning in the fall, all listings will be required to have at least one picture - additional quality standards for pictures will also be in effect.

eBay will also raise the maximum Final Value Fee for auction listings to $250 for non-Store owners, which impacts auctions that close at $1,111 and above.

for more:  http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y12/m02/i28/s00 

Message 148 of 151
latest reply

qsadie
Community Member

I am dismayed that eBay is charging a fee on sellers postal rate!

this is a for tax that is purely gouging sellers!

sellers should boycott!!!!

qsadie

Message 149 of 151
latest reply

This is very old news.  This thread was started in February 2012 and FVF being charged on the total amount of the transaction went into effect the year before that (2011)!.

Since you have been on eBay for ten years, you may recall that eBay lowered FVF on most fixed price transactions when they introduce the concept of charging their FVF on the total amount of the transaction, including shipping but not the tax.  This method is competitive with other major online venues (Amazon has been doing it for years).

When the change took place, many sellers (mostly Americans) saw their overall fees going down - more so if they already offered free shipping or had a very low shipping rate in relation to value.  Many others (including a majority of Canadians) have seen their fees go up.  Some even quit selling on eBay as the fee on their high shipping charge prevented them from making a profit.

That is no reason to "boycott".  Either sellers adapt or go elsewhere to sell their wares.

Message 150 of 151
latest reply

slyh92
Community Member

These changes do nothing for me 90% of what I sell my items for are being eaten up in fees

Good one on Dinging people a fee for shipping , Nice way to get ride of the little guy trying to make a profit

I cant control what the shipping Costs are and why should I pay a fee for paying a fee

If I raise my prices then you just raise your fees

Yup scam they small guy trying to make a profit .

Hey I got an Idea why not Charge us a fee for posting questions and reply
.  And why not charge a fee for us calling you

Once I find a cheaper site thats just as big as scambay , I will tally up a bunch of fees , and Block ebay and not pay the bill , and never come back to Scambay again

Message 151 of 151
latest reply