eBay app Offer postal code differs from final buyer postal code

Hi,

I was sent an offer last night which had the buyer's postal code listed as: LXXXXX. I check the CP shipping estimate calculator, it says $21.xx and using this info, I accept/reject the offer accordingly.

This morning after the buyer paid, it turns out their postal code is now different: MXXXXX.

There is now a $3 difference in shipping costs, as I guess CP needs to drive it a farther distance now. But I don't really care about the loss of $3.

I care that the information I am using to formulate my decision which was sent to me by eBay was incorrect. I don't know if it's the eBay app that did this, or if this buyer has somehow set two different postal codes, but this mismatch should not be happening.

I have tried to check to see that the offer really did send me the LXXXXX postal code, but once the sale has completed, I cannot find this info anywhere anymore.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You cannot change the shipping fee in a Best Offer.

Was this a Flat Rate?  Then the rate you set yourself is what he would be charged.

Was this Calculated Rate?

Then if there is a difference between the actual weight and dimensions of the packed item and those you uploaded, that would change the shipping cost.

If the dimensions and weight are correct, the Calculated Rate the buyer sees are automatically adjusted.

I put in my own BC postal code, the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, and Tuktoyaktuk NT to get an idea.

All three on your Transformers listing show a $24 shipping cost.

That's Flat Rate, and that is the problem.

Since that lot would have to go by parcel rate, which also varies by distance, take this as a learning experience

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Flat Rate has to be set after massaging numbers. You will gain on nearby (regional) shipments and lose on further(national).  And then there is the Arctic.

Personally I would switch all my Shipping to Calculated rates.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I regularly have folks using 2 addresses, home and work (or sometimes Canada in summer and USA in winter for snowbirds). 

Sometimes the work one gets used when they don't want their spouse to know how much is being bought!

The main postal code could well be home and they may have changed this one being sent to work for whatever reason...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

As already mentioned, buyers can have more than one address so its possible that the address you saw was the last one that they used but then had the item sent to their default address or vice versa.  eBay doesn't know which address they are going to choose until they pay.

If you were using calculated shipping and did NOT send an invoice after you accepted the offer, the shipping would change when the address was chosen.   Sending an invoice locks the shipping cost in to whatever it was showing when the sale was made.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Would your item fit in one of those 5kg Flat Rate shipping boxes? If it fits in the small one then it's $18.49... or medium is $23.49. Might still be cheaper than shipping to your buyer's "new" postal code.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/flat-rate-box.page

Message 5 of 5
latest reply