eBay labels on Canada site broken and costing sellers money!

Hi Tyler,  tyler@ebay.ca

Do we have an update on when the eBay.ca label system will be fixed. As it stands I am losing a small amount of change with every US sale. I am sending via CP USA Small Packet, which now has a surcharge for fuel. Problems have been identified here before, but its been weeks since and no resolution given. Problems described below.

1. Buyers are not charged for the fuel surcharge, therefore the cost is added to the sellers bottom line!

2. The label system quotes $7.49(no surcharge) for the cost, but the invoicing charges $7.88(incl. Surcharge) to the seller! the CP level 1 discount is applied but not the surcharge

3.  Buyers are not charged the proper retail rate, They are charged $7.74(retail without surcharge), the retail rate is $8.13 (with surcharge).

4. The labels always have the wrong return name for the sender, in my case its my eBay user name not my "Return Address" name!

Please ask your colleagues when this might be fixed. As it stands is is broken, the pennies add up. I provided screen shots in the site issue request, but no response.

It is unfathomable that a large company like eBay can mess up by charging the seller more to create the shipping label, than the buyer is charged for shipping. and then not fix it promptly.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yay! It looks like the they finally fixed it!

tyler@ebayThanks for hounding them.

Clipboard02.jpgClipboard01.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

tyler@ebay 

Just fixing the tag for Tyler.  You have to type an @ before the name

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Also want to note that it isn't the label system that is the problem, it is the ebay calculated shipping platform that is not adding in the fuel cost.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

This is sort of correct, however the eBay label system states the label will cost $7.49, but the eBay billing system invoices you for $7.88, so I suspect that the label system may need repair too. Also the incorrect name on the label. But definitely the calculation is wrong!.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

This is getting annoying!

For a recent order the buyer was charged $7.74 for Small Packet USA, the Shippo cost was $7.92 after my Canada Post discount! In the past, before the fuel surcharges in mid January, the buyer would be charged $7.54 and the Shippo cost would be $7.29 after discount. That $0.25 would pay for shipping supplies such as tape, mailers, envelopes etc. Now we are taking a loss. Its a small amount, but it adds up and is very frustrating to the seller.

From a buyers point of view, they are paying more than last year,

From a sellers point of view, we are paying %10 more!

Not sure what eBay's point of view is?

undercharge.jpg

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Something like this should be a top priority to be fixed so I understand your frustration.

Since we don't know when this will be fixed, you might want to take the time to change your listings using bulk edit.  You could either add a handling charge or change to a flat rate since small packet is based only on weight, not on distance.  Since you have multiples you would have to add a flat rate for more than one item. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@flyhooks4less 

@pjcdn2005 

tyler@ebay 

The sellers affected should be  issued a cash credit dollar for dollar by eBay for this technical error. Should be an automatic!!

-Lotz

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

It would be nice if the seller site settings calculated shipping handling charge would work, but it appears it doesn't. For me at present, I need to weigh the time to change all my listings with the amount of return, and if I spend the time to fix all my listings, I then may have to change them all back soon, perhaps. but at some point I may have to go there.

tyler@ebay.ca Clipboard01.jpgSee picture, that setting which I have set to $1, does not work

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

In your listings, do you have checked off that you want to use that particular rule?

I don't think that it automatically works for all listings, you have to check that you want that rule to work on the listing form.

I don't actually use calculated shipping so I couldn't really test how changing the handling time works in bulk edit.   If you can simply add the handling time in bulk edit without reentering the  shipping method etc., you could probably do it in a few blocks of 50 listings at a time. That wouldn't take that long.  It looked like it could be done that way but as I said I couldn't test it fully. 

Re changing to a flat rate....Quickly scrolling through your listings, it looks like the majority of them are set up for small packet USA for the 100 grams or less rate.  So it wouldn't take very long to change those in bulk edit. As long as your only international shipping location is the US, there is no need for calculated shipping for small packet so you could set those to flat rate and they wouldn't have to be changed back.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the advice, I do have the "use calculated Shipping" rule checked for all my listings. All my listings have US and International options so flat rate is not ideal. Also many of my buyers combine multiple items so the calculations need to take the weight into account. Due to Covid I am only doing Canada and US at the moment, but I would hate to modify everything at present. However like I said, for me my shipments to the US now are very light, if they pick up I may have to.
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Hi All,

tyler@ebay 

Just  an update, Tyler mentioned in last weeks chat that the fix for this was supposed to be rolled out on the 12th of Feb. Despite a fix apparently being in the works. As of today it is still not fixed, and it is still costing me more to ship via USA small packet, then the buyers are charged for it. This has been an issue since early January, I sure am glad that I do not get that many USA orders, but many sellers do and those costs must add up! I am now even more frustrated, this should not take that long to fix, calculated shipping needs to work, it is a fundamental piece of the eBay experience to both sellers and buyers.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Another update... tyler@ebay 

1. eBay.ca labels is still displaying $7.49 for the cost of small packet USA air.  However the cost is now $7.96 with the Canada Post small business discount, eBay labels and shippo charge the seller this amount.

2. The fuel surcharge was 39 cents in Jan, 43 cents in Feb, and now 47 cents in March.

3. eBay continues to charge the buyer $7.74 dispite the labels costing more. Buyes should be paying $8.22!

How long does eBay expect us sellers to eat this cost?

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Bump!!! With the new board layout this post is getting buried 5 pages in?

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Hi @flyhooks4less - the shipping team was supposed to have a meeting with their tech team last week on this. I'm sorry it's still happening. I'll shake the tree again.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

Another update... tyler@ebay 

1. eBay.ca labels is still displaying $7.49 for the cost of small packet USA air.  However the cost is now $7.96 with the Canada Post small business discount, eBay labels and shippo charge the seller this amount.

2. The fuel surcharge was 39 cents in Jan, 43 cents in Feb, and now 47 cents in March.

3. eBay continues to charge the buyer $7.74 dispite the labels costing more. Buyes should be paying $8.22!

How long does eBay expect us sellers to eat this cost?

@flyhooks4less 

One of the sides for anyone that does a lot of fishing. You tend to learn about patience.  Waiting for the next bite. By my rough math I am out 40.00 to 50.00 since this issue first was hooked and landed in a net. For other sellers I am guessing it is substantially more.

-Lotz

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

I think I am out about $15 now. but who knows... I know my time is worth money too and I am now considering either addig a handling fee or switching to tracket packet for USA. problem is there is no easy way to do the former to 260 listins and the later is a $4 increase in shipping costs to the buyer.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

I think I am out about $15 now. but who knows... I know my time is worth money too and I am now considering either addig a handling fee or switching to tracket packet for USA. problem is there is no easy way to do the former to 260 listins and the later is a $4 increase in shipping costs to the buyer.

I offer tracked as a secondary option. Majority of US buyers will never use for low value items so end up going with Small Packet US Air and its random occasional  bonus luck of the draw tracking. As of late that service is only slightly slower than US tracked.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Maybe I'm confused here. Sellers do not pay for shipping - buyers do. Perhaps you should adjust your shipping fees to cover all the costs. Seems fairly simple.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Simple for a single item, but my business results in one order with multiple different items. Shipped to various places, all with different shippping rates for location and weight. So eBay has a shipping calculator, which has been fairly accurate until the surcharge was addd in January, and has been wrong for small packet  USA since then. I just want it fixed, thats all.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

Maybe I'm confused here. Sellers do not pay for shipping - buyers do. Perhaps you should adjust your shipping fees to cover all the costs. Seems fairly simple.

The calculator is only NOT working if the customer chooses Small Pkt Air USA/Intl. Fine on all other services. It causes the buyer not to be charged when they pay and the seller to get dinged for the charge when they create postage. This error was discovered 2nd week of January and 10 weeks later it still has not been fixed. As for sellers adjusting the postage this is impossible because the fuel surcharge is percentage based and revised monthly by CP on their schedule. Not a flat amount.

-Lotz

Message 20 of 27
latest reply