eBay letter for reducing import charges

Reduce duties & taxes on cross-border transactions

Dear Main Street Member:

Nearly 100% of commercial sellers on eBay export and eBay is a top ecommerce destination for buyers across the globe.

Unfortunately, Canada's customs laws – namely Canada's customs de minimis threshold – make it difficult for eBay users to buy and sell internationally. Canada's de minimis threshold was set 30 years ago and is among the lowest globally. It is a major reason eBay sellers struggle to accept returns from international buyers and it causes the government to lose revenue. Click here to learn more about the issue.

We at eBay believe strongly that Canadian law must be updated to reduce the burden on Canadian consumers and businesses. If you agree, join the Canadian American Business Council in urging Canadian Finance Minister Bill Morneau to raise the de minimis threshold by sending him a postcard.

Participation is easy – just click the link below to send your postcard. Together, we can make a difference.

Send a Postcard Now!

Sincerely,

Andrea Stairs
Managing Director
eBay Canada

Well this is what i get yesterday whats your opinion guys 

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:
Well this is what i get yesterday whats your opinion guys 
Yes, I received it too. I appreciate and understand the gesture but this is one time I won't be participating in it. I support our de minimus being set at what it is because I think it's good for Canadian businesses because it somewhat discourages cross-border shopping. And as a consumer, I do not object to paying it because I understand that those taxes support the government and social services that make living in Canada what it is. Canadian retailers simply cannot compete with the economies of scale available to our American counterparts. I don't want to be American. When I import from the USA, I gladly pay what is required of me to support our Canadian standards and way of life. On the other hand, I also recognize that most consumers do not see it the way I do so I won't stand in the way by speaking out against it and making a big stink over it. Neither will I force my opinion or will down the throats of others. Again, that's because I am a good and polite Canadian. Eh?

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

i will not participate neither.I need to say that i agreed with you 100%
Message 3 of 65
latest reply

Canada's de minimis threshold was set 30 years ago and is among the lowest globally. It is a major reason eBay sellers struggle to accept returns from international buyers and it causes the government to lose revenue.

Er, unless your buyer is a total nitwit who forgets to mark the Return as Returned Merchandise, the seller is not going to be charged import fees for accepting gather own stuff back in the mail. It just doesn't happen. And our de minimus affects exports for Canadian sellers in no manner that I am aware of. I'd need more information to clarify this statement before I could support it. 

Message 4 of 65
latest reply

I couldn't disagree more.

We are asked to pay import fees on returns ................ like almost never.

If we do get nabbed by mistake then we just fill in the paperwork for a refund.  Bing - Bang - Boom.  No fuss no muss, no mess.

How nice for us that we can export items to the States easily as they have a very high limit and even then do not get asked to pay duty or taxes.   (Hopefully Trump doesn't change that system.)

That makes our jobs as eBay sellers easier, not more difficult.  It gives Canadian sellers the edge with Canadian buyers.

There is nothing about this request that is logical and/or in our best interest.

Message 5 of 65
latest reply

It is in the best interests of Ebay as a corporate entity because it will lower the hurdles Canadian buyers may face mentally when deciding whether or not to buy that $467 purse from an American handbag vendor. The question being, "How much will I have to pay in import fees?" If the answer is, "Nothing, buy from USA sellers like there is no tomorrow!" then that's not good for individual Canadian sellers. And, of course, I am looking at this like a small-time Canadian seller. I'm not seeing the 'big picture' like the head of ebay Canada might. And ten years ago, when I only bought on ebay and never sold, my reply to this call to action would have been, "Heck yes, where do I sign?!"

So.... 

Message 6 of 65
latest reply

Would increasing the de minimus to $80 CAD from $20 CAD be the end of the world for Canadian small sellers on ebay?

Doubtful.

Canada Post almost never stops an item valued at $20 Cad for the assessment of import taxes.

If it increased to like $1000 CAD, then that might mean real trouble for us. 

But $80 from $20? Probably not that big of a deal. I would suggest it would hardly be noticed by any buyer or seller. 

All the same, the campaign can and will proceed without my specific support. And that's fine. 

Message 7 of 65
latest reply

I will disagree here .I have known a big American chain stores that importing goods from USA and they ignored the Canadian company.So we should think how to protect our domestic economy.
Message 8 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Canada's de minimis threshold was set 30 years ago and is among the lowest globally. It is a major reason eBay sellers struggle to accept returns from international buyers and it causes the government to lose revenue.

Er, unless your buyer is a total nitwit who forgets to mark the Return as Returned Merchandise, the seller is not going to be charged import fees for accepting gather own stuff back in the mail. It just doesn't happen. And our de minimus affects exports for Canadian sellers in no manner that I am aware of. I'd need more information to clarify this statement before I could support it. 

One more thought and then I promise I will move on to other things. 

The 'major' reason that ebay sellers struggle to accept returns from international buyers is because there is no way to provide those buyers with the Return postage label that sellers are required to give buyers making returns. 

That's because there is no method in place to do so. Ebay, Paypal Shipping, Pitney Bowes and/or Canada Post Corporation must work together to make that happen. So far I understand, it has literally nothing to do with the de minimus amount. Until some dude at Pitney Bowes drops in to this thread tell us that Return Postage labels for international transactions is impossible because of a $20-CAD de minimus, I'm afraid I cannot believe that. It makes no logical sense. 

Again, I do 'get' why this move makes sense for ebay Canada. It's all about Canadian buyers. 

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

I will disagree here .I have known a big American chain stores that importing goods from USA and they ignored the Canadian company.So we should think how to protect our domestic economy.

You think increasing the de minimus to $80 Cad from $20 Cad will make a difference? 

Message 10 of 65
latest reply

well how amazon do it ? I need it a sample and i bought from amazon from USA seller $200 never pay anything
Message 11 of 65
latest reply

The Canadian companies and sellers already have enough problems .Do you need we need more .Try to do this in Europe you will pay arm and the leg .
Message 12 of 65
latest reply

I don't sell outside of ebay but when I looked into it, I read that if you sell on The River I saw that as part of the terms of selling there that as the seller YOU need to prepay duty so that your customer is NEVER left holding the bag for it. 

Other sellers who use more than one channel to sell will be better able to explain it and/or confirm that than I.

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

You think increasing the de minimus to $80 Cad from $20 Cad will make a difference? 

Yes.  Not so much for the little ebay sellers wgo have high postage rates to Canada now, and we know most of the small stuff is never taxed anyway.  But if that happened, all the big American places who charge the tax to Canada at the tiem of sale and have a reasonably priced way of getting stuff here wouldn't have to collect the tax.  All of the sudden tons of stuff on the .com river and others would be much more competitive for Canadain buyers.   In the meantime the river in Canada and all other Canadian sellers would be collecting tax on selling the same thing the Americans could sell us tax free.  

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I think it would make a big difference and any change is a very bad idea.

The way it is now they rarely collect regardless of the declared value.  If they raise it to $80 they will probably actually start collecting taxes on items over $80.

Even though I'm a good Canadian, I prefer to pay as little as possible and I like the system the way it is.

Don't rock the boat.  

Message 15 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Would increasing the de minimus to $80 CAD from $20 CAD be the end of the world for Canadian small sellers on ebay?

Doubtful.

Canada Post almost never stops an item valued at $20 Cad for the assessment of import taxes.

If it increased to like $1000 CAD, then that might mean real trouble for us. 

But $80 from $20? Probably not that big of a deal. I would suggest it would hardly be noticed by any buyer or seller. 

All the same, the campaign can and will proceed without my specific support. And that's fine. 

Canada Border Services Agency decides what if any sales taxes and duties is accessed and Canada Post just collects the amount due for a processing fee ($9.95). Minor correction that you probably know.

As far as $20 or $80 de minimus, CBSA do not have the resources to process all items because of the volume of goods being sent by a countries mail system to be delivered by Canada Post. By raising the limit to $80 or $100, perhaps a few more items would be accessed and collected but not a significant amount.

I do believe the $20 de minimus should be kept because it potentially protects Canadian businesses (brick and mortar and e-commerce) that have to charges sales taxes. Enforcement of the de minimus is the issue and it does not seem possible to enforce because of the volume of goods. Mail is moving towards more electronic processing (Harmonized codes on packages, electronic declarations, tracking) so a more automated process of duties and sales taxes appears to be what mail systems around the world are going towards. It may take years to get there but I see a worldwide infrastructure for doing this one day for most items mailed.

Couriers have this infrastructure already in place. By law, they have to do all the declarations and processing and collecting of sales taxes and fees or they get fined. They charge for this and while buyers may complain about the fees for this, the amount charges is probably a true reflection of the couriers cost for the processing and record keeping and infrastructure they have to operate and maintain. If the de minimus was to be raised, couriers would probably have a huge increase in business because they would be more competitive with Canada Post not having to do what the couriers must do. I think couriers would take a substantial amount of business away from Canada Post if the de minimus was raised. Not good for Canada Post.

But I believe the de minimus will be raised one day soon. I do not think it is right but politics will force the change. It all depends who has more sway with the government (current or future). Is retail business within Canada stronger than those wanting the change (US business interests). Most likely a compromise will be made and a new low $50 de minimus will be set.

Message 16 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It is in the best interests of Ebay as a corporate entity because it will lower the hurdles Canadian buyers may face mentally when deciding whether or not to buy that $467 purse from an American handbag vendor. The question being, "How much will I have to pay in import fees?" If the answer is, "Nothing, buy from USA sellers like there is no tomorrow!" then that's not good for individual Canadian sellers. And, of course, I am looking at this like a small-time Canadian seller. I'm not seeing the 'big picture' like the head of ebay Canada might. And ten years ago, when I only bought on ebay and never sold, my reply to this call to action would have been, "Heck yes, where do I sign?!"

Good that you are able to see and accept that some will see it differently.  People who mostly or only buy will want it lowered.  I can't shake off the thought that eBay's wanting this is almost entirely grounded in their having that GSP in place.  If ever there was a program to put people off eBay and buying American, that is it.  I could be wrong, and probably am, but I can't help but wonder if there wouldn't be this pressing urge to change the Canadian import limit if there never was a GSP and things went on as they always had done before its inception.  

I also am puzzling over the idea that the Canadian government would do as they're told by a US company.  Maybe.  I agree that changing the limit and having it on par with the American one would be good news for Canadian buyers, but I don't think it would be good for Canada as a whole.  I don't see where our $20 limit is harming 'Canada' in any way.  If items under around $100 get ignored then that is a choice, and done because it would cost to much to collect every cent.  Making that choice then is good for Canada because it saves money for Canada.  But to change the limit officially?  No changing it back, or at least not without problems and costs. (There are times when stupid things happen, like the HST in BC.  On, Off, On, Off, Oh, Decisions Decisions).  

An eBay rep, even a Canadian one, is naturally going to be lobbying on eBay's behalf.  This is not a person whose livelihood is dependent on selling here.  Urging Canada to change the limit will be good for the American economy.  It will mean the GSP does not have to charge tax on items valued at $20 cad and that will mean more people will buy GSP items.  More people will, as pointed out here, buy freely from the US because there will be no incentive to try to find a comparable item in Canada first.  No obvious reason to tell buyers, "Choose Canada Only from under Item Location".

Then there is the issue of how that limit will affect the entire retail industry in Canada, not just eBay.  I wonder how easily the Canadian government can be bent to the will of an American company.  How readily will Canada risk the Canadian economy to favor the American economy just because a big American company is telling them to.  Because that is who will benefit from this.  I don't see how this will benefit Canada or Canadians at all.  Individual buyers, yes.  But the Country as a whole, no.  This is intended to be good for eBay and the US as a whole.  More money flowing into the American economy.  Same song, different verse.  

Well now, I think I'm about all ranted out.  🙂 

Message 17 of 65
latest reply

Again, I do 'get' why this move makes sense for ebay Canada. It's all about Canadian buyers.

Raising the limit could benefit some eBay sellers. who source their products online and purchase from the US or other countries in order to resell.  Many US retailers send by courier and/or charge duty at the time of purchase which makes them too expensive to resell and make any type of profit.  There are many items that I used to sell  that just aren't available in Canada..at least not at a reasonable price.  I dont think though that raising the limit to $80 would accomplish much ...$200 or $300 would be more helpful for resellers. 

Message 18 of 65
latest reply

Oh ho ho. Sales tax. Right. 

Message 19 of 65
latest reply

It would help Pitney Bowes (and eBay) with the anger over import fees, which private shippers must remit to the government, if the maximum duty free allowance were raised to $200, matching the 'drive across' duty free allowance.

I doubt it would help or hurt Canadian sellers for the reasons others have outlined.

It would be interesting to know how many Canadians quit eBay forever because they are outraged at paying duty (which is really mostly sales taxes) and believing that there is none due under NAFTA?

Message 20 of 65
latest reply