eBay platform terms are designed solely with eBay's financial success in mind. Update your AD terms.

A listing with a powerful and complete terms can ensure the success of your listings with reduced stress on the seller's part and higher probabilities of success.

eBay transactions are, to my knowledge, solely between the buyer and seller. This leaves them very incomplete and any issues usually will fall on the seller. Or: if the buyer is at fault, takes great effort from the seller to resolve as I believe eBay puts greater emphasis on buyer protection and a general platform trend towards the seller that if there are any issues: cut your losses and treat the buyer like a king.

This is frustrating and simply should not be, due to the way the eBay platform is designed (with it's own success in mind). eBay is not at fault however. They simply have a different intention in mind with their business model and undoubtedly have it set up to have as little effort as possible to ensure success of that intention.

By default: listing terms do not account for things such as postal carriers, customs, weather, etc. Essentially any other variable outside of a buyer's interaction with the eBay platform are not included. 

In my experience, while separate entities like the postal system, customs, etc are designed and set up to operate successfully from start to completion as an item passes through their system, should there be any issues with these entities and due to their lack of inclusion in the eBay platform, issues are turned around to the seller to resolve. And weather is however entirely influenced by many outside factors. 

This is the hole in the eBay platform from the standpoint of the seller and are not a seller's responsibility. 

Terms should be updated to include these variables or any other that are part of a transaction to ensure your item arrives with your business platform model in mind. IE: a successful stress-free transaction.

Do not underestimate the power of a good set of terms.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

eBay platform terms are designed solely with eBay's financial success in mind. Update your AD terms.

TL/DR --

EBay is your landlord, not your friend.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

TL/DR --

EBay is your landlord, not your friend.

Who do you call at eBay when you need a new toilet? Some of its features appear to be leaking.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

My Terms.......

You pay

I ship

Anything more is pretty much puffery.

Now if you want to add some informational text that will be of use to your buyers that is another thing completely.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have to pay rent to corporate brick and mortar stores .. e platforms are becoming the new brick and mortar. Adapt and survive is the new norm.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
The choice of carrier is the seller’s. If the seller’s choice of carrier is not performing the way the seller expects it to, the seller cannot wash their hands of their responsibility for their choice.

British Columbia has consumer protection laws for online sales that are almost the same as eBay’s buyer protection policies. I would imagine other provinces have similar laws.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Since I doubt many eBay sellers have ever rented an actual physical store, it may be interesting to know that all shopping malls and most Main Street landlords charge in addition to the rent per square foot, a percentage of sales from the store.

This was true way back in 1983 when we considered opening a shop in Ottawa's Eaton Centre (now the Rideau Centre), but at that time the Main Street landlords has not thought of that opportunity to increase their profits. By 2000, if not earlier, our Sparks Street landlord had added that to our lease.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
British Columbia has consumer protection laws for online sales that are almost the same as eBay’s buyer protection policies. I would imagine other provinces have similar laws

Interesting that warrants investigating
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
I ran a large corporate franchise. 16% of sales went back home as rent. Then theres the fees and training none of it's free,lawyersoh my on and on. To be honest without name dropping large retail store. APROX 40 50 employees . The owner barely took 100g home a year gross. The money was in the assets 10 years we built that place up when he sold it he quit and so did I. I know of online sellers taking 5x that and ripping people off in the meantime. No one on ebay of course I wouldnt subject myself to being a target. Excuse my grammar and punctuation thos is a very small phone. @femmefan1946
Message 9 of 9
latest reply