ebay charging me again for funds I owe?

I sold an item earlier this month and I just got a notice saying ebay is charging me for funds I owe, it said

We’re preparing to charge your bank account ending in **** for funds you owe. The reason for the charge is because you don’t have enough available funds to pay for previous transactions.

We’ll process this charge in no sooner than 3 days. The maximum you could be charged is C $26.83.

I dont get it, what is this fund that I owe? they already charged me a fee and charged me for shipping, now all of a sudden theres another charge? was my postage not enough? it shouldnt be...

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

You are in Managed Payments.

You pay most of your eBay fees (FVF on sale and shipping) to eBay at the time of customer payment.

But if you have other payments due, like a Store Subcription, those are charged monthly.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

i dont have a store subscription, in my transactions page the amount charged is shown as shipping the item sold. was the postage not enough? thats crazy i put the size and weight on ebay and printed ebay label, the label cost me $132 and now theres another $26.83 charge. can i dispute this?

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

just contacted both ebay and canadapost, ebay told me that my item was declared as 2.85kg when it was actually 3.91 kg which is why there was an additional charge. but this is crazy because I actually declared 2.0kg because thats how much i weighed it, where did he get the 2.85kg number and how the hell did they weigh 3.91 kg, thats a huge difference. I talked to canadapost via chat and they said "our machines are calibrated and can't be wrong"

has anyone encountered something like this before?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@chengda85 wrote:

just contacted both ebay and canadapost, ebay told me that my item was declared as 2.85kg when it was actually 3.91 kg which is why there was an additional charge. but this is crazy because I actually declared 2.0kg because thats how much i weighed it, where did he get the 2.85kg number and how the hell did they weigh 3.91 kg, thats a huge difference. I talked to canadapost via chat and they said "our machines are calibrated and can't be wrong"

has anyone encountered something like this before?

This is why actual weights and measurements are so important when creating your listing and especially when packaging. Close is not acceptable. The other issue that comes into play is rates are based on those measurements and final package dimensions. Cubing can apply even on the smallest of packages based on whichever is higher(weigght or dimensions) and the service chosen. eBay's calculator should be basing the rates on that criteria. See attached regarding cubing.

Section 4:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp

-Lotz

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

but when listing it doesnt let me put a precise weight, it goes like 1-2kg, 2-3kg and so on.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@chengda85 

Regarding the weight, the volumetric weight wasn't higher right? Light boxes can change a lot if they are large....

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@chengda85 wrote:

but when listing it doesnt let me put a precise weight, it goes like 1-2kg, 2-3kg and so on.

I'm not sure what causes this but I have spotted that creating some listings so it may be caused by the category. Similar to some listings will let you include a handling charge for pickups. Others won't. eBay is only consistent until it isn't.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

not sure what the volumetric weight was but the box wasnt large, it was something like 15in x 10in x 5in

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@chengda85 

As a side note when you create your postage, make sure you are applying measurements using the correct system. (toggle to choose) You should be using metric in both eBay & Postage for size & weight. Reduces confusion after the fact.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

so how do i put precise weight when it goes like 1 to 2, 2+ to 3 etc?

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Hi @chengda85 The volumetric weight calculation is L x W xxH in CM divided by 5,000

So if your box was 15"x 10" x 5" "ish" converted to CMs the volumetric comes out to about 3.3 KG so that is probably what did it....

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

When you click on the drop down arrow to change the weight range, scroll to the bottom and choose custom weight so that you can enter the exact weight.   But for some services the dimensions are more important than the weight as they use dimensional weight to figure out the cost. For example a package might weigh 2 kg but if the dimensional weight is 4 kg, the label will show as 4kg and that's what you will be charged.  If there was a correction from Canada Post then it's likely that your dimensions were actually higher than what you entered.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

There is an option to choose custom weight in that drop down
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

if my dimensions were wrong they would at best have been off by only a tiny bit, like maybe under 0.5 cm at best, does it make that big of a difference? could canadapost have made a mistake? when i asked earlier they claimed they dont make mistakes and brushed me off

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

off by only a tiny bit, like maybe under 0.5 cm at best, does it make that big of a difference?

Yes.

Are you using metric measurements or "translating" from imperial?  That doesn't work.

The PO went metric in 1974.

but when listing it doesnt let me put a precise weight, it goes like 1-2kg, 2-3kg and so on

If you are faced with that choice and your digital scale shows 2.01 kg, you use the 2-3kg rate.

If it says 2.001kg use the 3 kg rate.

If you weighed at 2.85kg and the PO weighed at 3.91kg, take your scale to the PO at a quiet time (around 1pm is pretty good as is 9:30am) and ask them to help you test your scale.

The PO is very very fussy about their counter scales. If the clerk says it reads 3.9kg, she's right.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I used metric, just looked at my order it was 38cm x 25cm x 15cm. I think 2.85kg and 3.91kg are dimensional weight not actual weight. I dont get how I could have mis measured dimensions by so much, somethings not right, in order for the price to increase by $26.83 it seems  the dimension needs to be 5 cm longer at least on one side.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

More fun and games! This is becoming a horror story.  So glad I didn't sign up!

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Canada Post uses a cubic scan machine to help process the volumes this is where the charges come from. If the cubic scan and your label costs do not match then Canada Post will send you a bill. This bill will stop you from producing more labels until paid. 

You speak about a range of weight in listings eBay users see the estimate of postage in your listing and what you can charge. By no means is it necessary what Canada Post charges but an estimate. I bring all my items to the Retail Postal Outlets ( RPO) so I do not have to go through any additional charges. Also tracking shows received immediately. 

May I suggest that if you are going to print your own labels adjust the finished dimensions to slightly larger to accommodate for any additional charges in your listing you may experience.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@blackranda2 wrote:

More fun and games! This is becoming a horror story.  So glad I didn't sign up!

If you are referring to MP this has nothing to do with that.     If you use your small business account to print labels Canada Post and the amount paid was wrong they do bill your account the extra amount.   If the label was associated with eBay CP will bill eBay who then bills the seller. They have done that for a few years.  

Message 20 of 22
latest reply