high value items on hold 30 day hold

sha151305
Community Member
Been with eBay for years I posted an item that wasn’t selling so I dropped the price significantly so I can get the money before Christmas . Took a big loss especially after eBay fees. Shipped it express buyer received it the next day messaged me and thanked me gave me a good review . I call eBay and they tell me I have to wait 30 days !!! Even tho I have daily payout. Absolutely ridiculous. Why isn’t this mentioned somewhere visible when creating the ad ?! come on man stuff like that should be written where you going to see it like next to the post ad button . So now I’m just out of luck ?Please tell me there’s a way around this ? I’ve bought and sold on eBay and my feedback is 100% perfect (my rating) . What’s the point of using eBay to sell somthing if u have to wait 30days ! I can see maybe a couple days week tops but 30 is crazy . Is there a possibility I will receive it sooner automatically? never usually leave reveiws but I’m furious Christmas and new years is ruined . probably earning interest on my funds aswell. Why eBay why.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

marnotom!
Community Member
I’m guessing that holds aren’t mentioned when you’re creating the listing because they’re hinted at in the User Agreement and explained more fully on pages linked to the User Agreement.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I am assuming that this was through the account you posted here with, so my comments are in relation to that.   Though you have been with eBay for a couple of years, your selling activity is very low, and your total feedback is very low.   The bots have likely flagged this as partial risk factors as this is a high volume time of year that scammers thrive in.   And I would almost guarantee that this would have been a bot/algorithm move, as the volume is too high otherwise.

It is a security move that has affected others, and has been posted about before, including some sellers with very old accounts and a very high level of ongoing listings and sales.   It has also been seen with folks that have had an account for over 10 years and just moved into selling, but for the bots they are a newish seller.  Also sometimes when there is a big time gap in selling activity.

Behind the scenes there may be an increased level of problems in some areas that has spilled over and you have been caught up in it.  No one will give you a specific reason why other than it is for security.

In the end, I don't think there is anything to do but ride out the 30 days.  The hold might be lifted after confirmation of delivery, but I am not sure.  

If you did contact eBay to inquire, I would only do it after delivery is confirmed.  And if the hold was not going to be lifted until 30 days no matter what, I do not funds being released before that.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Unfortunately, many sellers with limited selling experience NEVER read what they NEED to know BEFORE listing items ...The number of years a seller has "been with eBay" means zilch if you have nothing for a feedback profile to back up your credibility. If you are not a regular/consistent seller..and/or a seller with a proven seller profile, selling high value items is a risk in itself with such limited selling experience.

Never,ever list an item for reasons such as "so I can get the money before ..."   > Not eBay, not any other selling venue is a guaranteed source for needed income. So many inexperienced sellers list items for all the wrong reasons.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The amount of time you've been with eBay is not what counts but rather how often and how many items you've sold. You could be with eBay 10 years but if you only sold a few items that is what they look at. I've read of really big sellers taking a year or two off and have to go through the same thing when they return here.

Plus you say it was "high value item" which funds are always held longer just to make sure sellers don't just take the money and run. It is nothing against you personally, as byto mentions it is probably the "bots" that spot infrequent sales and high value item. There is still hope you will get your money before the 30 day mark but not likely before Christmas since it's only a few days away. At least if you rack up a little debt over Christmas you know these funds will be coming in the new year.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

EBay puts a Hold on payments to sellers until eBay is satisfied that the buyer is content.

This applies to new members, but also to occasional and returning sellers.

It may be because eBay and other online venues are trying to cut down on hijacked accounts and scammers who take the money and disappear.

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking. They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

Even after the Hold is released, your payment will not be transferred to your checking account until the next Tuesday.

Ummmm----- you did set up a Managed Payments account before you listed didn't you?
Without that, eBay has no way to transfer the money to your checking account.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yea I have daily pay out . I just wished they told you somewhere on the same page as the “ post ad page” not in some fine print on the home page after visiting multiple links .
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I get that they need to make sure everything’s smooth but my tracking shows delivered and I have messages from the buyer with good reviews. I can see 7 day hold but 30 is crazy don’t you think ? Especially if you and buyer confirm everything’s ok . I’m just mad that it’s not on the same page as the “ post your ad “ page
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The buyer has 30 days from delivery to open a Claim.

And 180 days from Payment for a Paypal claim or credit card chargeback.

There is some indication that the time is "only" 21 days  for US sellers, but domestic shipping is faster than international.

And of course, those sneakers went through eBay authentication.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Good news that everything went smoothly.   You can try approaching eBay with the confirmation of delivery and buyer satisfaction to try to get the funds released.   No harm is asking. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@byto253 

@sha151305 

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.

And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Same here nothing told me this would be the case.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

IMHO,  it should be a requirement for ALL New sellers to eBay, to READ and verify that they have read the terms of use(user agreement) BEFORE being allowed to list on eBay. Way too many new sellers have no clue what they are doing, what they are supposed to do, what they need to do, what they should do and what they are required to do as a seller on this site. For example, did you actually read:

https://pages.ebay.ca/payment/2.0/terms.html

and did you actually read this section in particular:

Holds

We reserve the right to manage the risks associated with providing you the Payment Services, by placing restrictions on your access to your funds when deemed necessary, as described in further detail below.

You agree that we may place holds on your funds or instruct a payment service provider to hold your funds, prior to disbursement. For the avoidance of doubt, if you receive funds to either a stored value account issued to you under eBay’s Balance Terms and Conditions or to a payment account, a hold may also be placed on such funds. If a hold is placed on your funds, the amount and status of the hold will be displayed under the Payments tab in the Seller Hub/My eBay. We will notify you through the eBay Message Center and/or by email and, depending on the reason, may request additional information from you to help resolve the issue. A hold may be placed if we have reason to believe there is an increased risk associated with the provision of our Payment Services or with a certain Managed Payment transaction, for example if we cannot verify your identity or if your buyer files a dispute. Please see our holds help page for more detail on the hold types and examples. We take into consideration relevant factors when assessing the risks including selling history, seller performance, returns and cancellations, chargebacks, riskiness of the listing category, transaction value, the ability to make direct debits from your Linked Financial Account, and the filing of eBay Buyer Protection Program claims. We also may cancel or freeze the settlement of your proceeds as necessary to comply with our legal obligations in connection with fraud prevention, risk management, or regulatory compliance, or, upon lawful request by our Affiliates, to enable them to comply with legal obligations applicable to them (such as compliance with tax-related obligations from EU DAC7 legislation). Any hold placed on your funds will be lifted when the issue is resolved.

Unless your payout entity is eBay Sarl or ECUK, we may retain an amount that we reasonably believe may be necessary to pay for any refunds, reimbursements, or other payments associated with returns, Disputes, or other post-transaction activities, when your eBay account is closed. Unless otherwise required by law, we will settle any unused retained amounts to your Linked Financial Account within 180 days of your eBay account closure.

Your bank's holds and settlement procedures may at times cause delays in the settlement of funds to your Linked Financial Account, and we do not have control over these delays.

Reserves

In order to manage risk or secure your obligations under these Payments Terms of Use, we have the right to require a reserve of transaction proceeds. This means that the respective portion of your funds is reserved as unavailable for disbursement. Reserves may be in the form of rolling and/or minimum reserves.

• A rolling reserve is a reserve funded by withholding a set percentage of your transaction proceeds each day for a fixed period to be released to you later at a scheduled time on a rolling basis. For example, we may require a rolling reserve of 10% for a period of 60 days. Under this requirement, 10% of your transaction proceeds earned on day 1 will be withheld from your payouts and then be released to you on day 61. Subsequently, 10% of your transaction proceeds earned on day 2 will be withheld and then released to you on day 62, and so forth. Rolling reserves are the most common type of reserve.
  • A minimum reserve is a requirement to hold a specific amount of money in your reserve. A minimum reserve may be funded by contributing a set percentage of your daily transaction proceeds to the reserve up to the minimum requirement, or by setting-off the entire amount of the minimum requirement from your pending payouts. For example, if we require a minimum reserve of $5,000, the reserve may be funded by contributing 10% of your transaction proceeds to the reserve each day until the amount reaches $5,000. Alternatively, if your pending payouts equal or exceed $5,000, the minimum reserve may be funded by setting off the reserve requirement from your pending payouts at one-time in full.

We may require a reserve if we have reason to believe there is an increased risk of non-fulfillment of your obligations under these Payments Terms of Use. We take into consideration relevant risk factors before requiring a reserve, including, as applicable (i) your eBay account history, (ii) whether the category you are listing in has a higher likelihood of chargebacks or refunds, (iii) whether your eBay account has an elevated number of customer claims or disputes, (iv) your business and/or personal credit history (business sellers may be subject to credit agency checks), (v) whether you are selling products in advance of availability (pre-selling orders), and (vi) whether you have extended delivery time frames. Depending on your performance and the risk associated with your use of Managed Payments, a reserve may be raised, lowered, or removed at any time. The amount of each reserve (and any subsequent change) will be reasonably determined based on the seller-specific risk (including the volume of your sales). The amount and status of each reserve will be displayed under the Payments tab in the Seller Hub/My eBay and we will notify you of any reserves we require of you.

If ECA is your Payout Entity, any reserve required of you is further subject to the Seller Reserve Terms and Conditions. By accepting these Payments Terms of Use, you agree to the Seller Reserve Terms and Conditions to the extent they apply to you.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Read, people can barely take the time to read a listing title...

As for the below, good luck with that, unfortunately.

But I do agree. there should be a forced tutorial of all the basics regarding the $$$$ aspect of selling and the payment rules, and time frames laid out in an easy-to-read chart.

"IMHO,  it should be a requirement for ALL New sellers to eBay, to READ and verify that they have read the terms of use(user agreement) BEFORE being allowed to list on eBay. Way too many new sellers have no clue what they are doing, what they are supposed to do, what they need to do, what they should do and what they are required to do as a seller on this site. For example, did you actually read:

https://pages.ebay.ca/payment/2.0/terms.html

Message 14 of 14
latest reply