how do i stop the constant ebay buyer fraud

agls57
Community Member

seem to happen more and more been selling for 10 years and never been this bad

tried ebay seller really useless ,paypal policy seems to support only the buyer

the feedback system now completely useless for sellers, go figure

now the venting is  done

can anyone help with outside sources or ways to recover funds .

in canada and the US i can handle(criminal complains) its overseas ones that are harder

any tips would be great

thanks

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

If you are experiencing that much buyer fraud, then I have to ask why you're not shipping everything fully insured?

For most on line sellers it's not a huge problem and so insurance is usually not worth the cost (except that it allows them to sleep nights :)), but for you it sounds like it would be.

........... of perhaps your problems aren't about item loss or damage?

Are they?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

"constant ebay buyer fraud"

What do you mean by "fraud"?

Is it a case of buyers claiming non receipt? Or something else?

"constant"?  What does that mean? one in ten? one in twenty? one in one hundred?

Is it mostly a domestic problem?  an American problem?  an overseas problem?

Does it involve small amounts of money (under $50) or larger amounts?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

agls57
Community Member

you seem to have miss the point of the thread

we insure all our items regardless of what or who buys

for our small online store ebay fraud and theft is a serious problem

as it would for any honest online seller

just because you can claim on insurance you seem to think that makes it right, i have a problem with that others may not????

since i have a problem with any kind of fraud period

i repeat the question

we looking for legit ways to recover mainly overseas

maybe someone has some answers hopefully

anyone ????????

thanks

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Well, your questions doesn't make sense in some ways.

You said that you insure you items, and so if you have a problem with theft then make an insurance claim.

Unless, as already asked:  If your problem of a different nature than item not received or damaged upon arrival?

In other words, is the problem something not covered by insurance?

If you can't collect insurance for some reason (although I'd be curious to know what that is???), then the answer to your ? re recovering $ from overseas:  Not Very Likely.

Perhaps if the amount is really high there might be some sort of action you could take, but I don't think your losses are in that league.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

agls57
Community Member

i try to make it simple

when someones steals from a bricks and mortar store it normally called shoplifting most retail store prosecute to full extend of common law (most places) regardless of the amount or excuse

now with ebay which is a online store since it difficult to shoplift

the most common is theft is fraud and there are many forms of this

if someone keeps breaking into your house do you let them keeping breaking in,most call the cops and here's the point

unless you do something to stop the person doing the breaks ins

he keeps breaking in

in order to stop ebay fraud from continuing  in general something needs to done since we run into a dead-end within ebay and paypal

since we have zero tolerance for any kind theft etc

kind in mind a criminal act  not a dispute, claim but something that has reasonable chance of conviction (not just my opinion)

so what steps have you tried to stop

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Once again, please describe what you mean by "fraud" and "criminal act"

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

"so what steps have you tried to stop"

I have over 100,000 transactions on eBay in fourteen years.  I have seen very few instances of "fraud".

If you see many, what exactly are they?

Items lost in the postal systems and not received by buyers are not "fraud".

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

So what you are saying, agls57, is that you are fed up with getting ripped off and want to do something about on matter of principle?

Is that it?

In a store it's clear when someone is guilty of shoplifting, and even then the accused is innocent  until proven guilty and afforded a day in court.

On ebay, situations are not black and white.

You don't have all of the facts and are concluding that you were ripped off but that may not be the case at all.

What you are suggesting is that every questionable situation is tried in a court of law, and that this "court" is honoured world-wide.

It's just not gonna happen............ at least not in this decade.

With the way technology is advancing, though, there will probably be some kind of system in place sometime in future.......... but not today.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

agls57
Community Member

i guess i try one more time

again for those that are interested in helping

this simple as i can make it

have you or anybody found any ways or means of successfully 

or any process of catching up with ebay fraud cases

thank-you all for your comments

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

What do you mean by an "ebay fraud case." ...............

exactly?

Ebay gets rid of buyers which are clearly problematic, but other than that I don't think there's anything in place for accusations of fraud.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

have you or anybody found any ways or means of successfully 

or any process of catching up with ebay fraud cases

If you are talking about claims for items not received, there really is no way to prove that they really didn't receive the item unless you have delivery confirmation so I doubt that there is any way to "catch up" with them.

The best way imo is to try and prevent problems like that. I suspect that part of the problem is that you use surface for overseas sales. Since those packages can take a couple of months to arrive, buyers get nervous if they still haven't received their packages once it is close to the 45 day filing deadline so they file a claim.. I can't blame them..if I was in their situation.I would file too just in case the package never reached me. When the package finally does reach them, they should repay but it has been my experience that I rarely here from those who claimed for an inr. So, either they never did receive the package or never bothered to let me know that they had.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Stopping possible frauds?

Paypal has two basic demands. That the seller be able to prove that the parcel has been delivered and that the parcel arrive with the contents in the condition described.

If you can't meet those criteria, you will lose Disputes.

The buyer should know that his parcel is Delivery Confirmed so that he is discouraged from starting an Item Not Received Dispute. Since most of your items are of a size that would meet Expedited standards (and you save money if you print these labels through Paypal), give your buyers the DC number and tell them the parcel is insured (for up to $100, but don't tell them that.)

The buyer should be told when the parcel has been sent. And when it should arrive. Be pessimistic about arrival date.

Never use Surface shipping for overseas customers.

If there is a damage claim, apologize and ask the buyer to return the item for a "full" refund. If the problem is with your description, refund the return shipping too. If it is Buyer Remorse, don't.

Package your items to withstand dropping two feet from one conveyor belt to another and having a 25 kilo parcel drop on top of it. Because sometimes the customer is right.

Be careful of what you say and what you picture in your listings. I notice one listing for a choice of bootliners. Choice auctions are not allowed. Turn the auction into three listings. There is even an advantage, because the customer can now see exactly what he is buying.

If you believe the customer is breaking the law, you can report the fake "not delivered" claim to the USPS postal inspectors. Even the mention of those guys will discourage many potential crooks.

You can report the customer to Phonebusters  http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/cafc_aboutus.html  which was begun by the Ontario Provinicial Police but which now works with police forces in the USA (and possibly Interpol). They may not prosecute your $10 fraud case, but it could be added to a docket of others to make up a larger case.

You can go to your local police and open a case. The case report number is the most you are likely to get from them but it is useful to include it in discussions with eBay and Paypal.  Or for that matter, postal services.

And put the guys on your Blocked Bidder List. As I understand it, this will also Block other IDs of the same bidder.

Set your Seller Preferences to automatically Block certain countries, bidders with UID Strikes, bidders who do not have an active Paypal account. There may be other useful Blocks for you.

Some products are not meant to be sold by mail. And eBay is at heart, mail order.

And yes, it's incremental.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Having looked at your 10 negs and neutrals, I would add, that if you use Paypal shipping the amount of postage paid will not appear on the label. There are a couple of  negative mentions of S&H being much higher than the postage paid. Sellers will understand that bubblewrap is not free, but buyers won't.

If you continue to use vulgar language and post negative feedback as postive, eBay will restrict you. You can leave Responses to feedback which can be negative. You are judged by your buyers on your feedback left as well as your feedback received. The most effective Responses and feedback are calm and factual.

You really should open UIDs when people don't pay. Then the deadbeat cannot leave feedback.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

agls57
Community Member

thank-you to all who took the time to post

in between the clouds there some good tips

good luck to all

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Yes, exactly, but there are others.

This listing was but one, and if ever there were clear cases of fraud, then these house sales are so clearly in that category.

And yet they continue.

Some are destined for demolition and some have liens...........

Yet, I looked around for about 15 minutes a few actually seem to have worked out.

It looks like you can go on ebay and buy a house for very little (under $10,000) and be happy with it.

Most of us wouldn't want to live there, but still.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I'll never use eBay again, use Kiijjjii

Ebay wont deal wit its Buyer Scammers.

@agls57 wrote:

seem to happen more and more been selling for 10 years and never been this bad

tried ebay seller really useless ,paypal policy seems to support only the buyer

the feedback system now completely useless for sellers, go figure

now the venting is  done

can anyone help with outside sources or ways to recover funds .

in canada and the US i can handle(criminal complains) its overseas ones that are harder

any tips would be great

thanks

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 18 of 18
latest reply