how to buy shipping insurance with ebay labels?

I think the post office lost my $340 xprespost shipment to Chile, just great. for future reference how do I purchase insurance with ebay labels? according to the FAQ it's under additional options but I did not see it when I did it. can I buy it at the post office after I have already purchased the label?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: how to buy shipping insurance with ebay labels?

What do you think insurance will insure against, compared to a tracked and Signature Confirmed postal service?

When you say the parcel is lost, has the tracking number on the ExpressPost shipment stopped somewhere?

How long has it been stalled?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

stopped on may 11 at "item being forwarded to destination country" and nothing after that.

what do you mean what insurance will insure against? doesnt it insure against loss and damage or am I mistaken?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

now the buyer has opened a item not received claim

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I haven't noticed if there is an insurance option but one seller did mention test it wasn't available when they did an international label so it might be an oversight. If the option is definitely not there you might want to contact eBaylabels@ebay.ca and ask them about it

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You can also use a third party insurance like shipsurance. I had to claim insurance with them once, and the process was fairly easy.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

In many instances, Canada Post has been reported to refuse damage in transit claims on the basis that the damage was caused by poor packaging rather than their actions.

They also take a loooooong time to admit that an item is lost rather than delayed.

The seller purchases the insurance and it covers his losses.

EBay (and Paypal and credit cards) will demand that the seller reimburse the buyer long before any insurance claim will pay out.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

can i purchase insurance at the post office separately after I printed my label?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

how do i use shipsurance?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

it seems shipsurance is for contracts and they refer single shipments to insurepost, but on insurepost registration it says they only cover united states?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

This is really strange, they used to insure Canada Post shipments. I used it very often in the past on small packets Air Mail. They must have changed their rules recently.

You can still use u-pic from what I see on their website: https://u-pic.com/ But I never used them before, so I don't know about their customer service.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

ok to buy insurance do I first purchase the label then purchase the insurance with the label's tracking info?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Canada post xpresspost and expideted parcel both come with $100 of insurance. Extra can be bought while you are buying your canada post label or after (within a certain small time limit) from a third party insurer. Third party insurers have a specific list of countries they will insure to.

Here is the current insurepost list:

We provide shipping insurance coverage to many destinations, but not everywhere. The following is a list of countries we DO offer coverage to. If the country that you want to ship to is not on this list coverage is not available.

Argentina
Australia
Austria
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belgium
Bermuda
Canada
Chile
China
Costa Rica
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Egypt
El Salvador Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Greenland
Guatemala
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Korea, Republic of
Luxembourg
Mexico
Morocco Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Samoa
Singapore
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States
Uruguay

We used to use insurepost for everything but they stopped insuring canada post on jan1, 2021. Now we only use it for UPS shipments.

"What shipping carriers can I use?
InsurePost.com offers coverage for shipments sent via the following carriers:
* Note: Canada Post has been removed as of 1/2021
DHL
FedEx
FedEx SmartPost
UPS
UPS Mail Innovations
USPS"

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

i didnt see a buy insurance option when i was buying my canada post label

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Not that the post office could figure out. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

ZOMBIE POST FROM 2021

The problem with zombie posts is that information and advice may be out of date and incorrect

If you have a similar problem it is worthwhile starting your own new thread with some details about when and what service was used.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply