how to make money

Hi,

I do work outside ebay. I work 50-60 hours a week in restaurants and retail. However i have many projects and need extra cash to accomplish them. I already thinking of selling my second car for an extra 800$

I'm a Canadian but i want to visit the state mainly California to do a production assistant bootcamp and i hope to become a filmmaker. I know it may be a pipedream but this is what keep me getting up in the morning and going to work to save cash

my other goals is to open a local store mainly a video game/movie store. I've been thinking of buying back the local pet store and adding my store to it. For it i'm going to need lots of cash at least 20 000$ for the down payment

my last goal is having kids with a surrogate mother which is 70 000$ with no gurantee of a kid in the end.

So my question is is there a way to make extra cash on ebay with drop shipping ? Could someone help me ? I undertand i would be comptetition to you.

I know there's not a lot of money in film,owning a store especially a video/video game store but it's my passion i have to do it. It's what keep me getting up and working long hours for one day having my own store. I give myself about 6 years before having my store saving 300$ a month for it. In 6 years i'm going to have 21 600$ saved up for a down payment.

I'm also saving up 500$ a month for film study. 

I'm only earning 30K and something after taxes. I need extra money to help me with my goals. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: how to make money

@sebastiecaye20 wrote:

So my question is is there a way to make extra cash on ebay with drop shipping ? Could someone help me ? I undertand i would be comptetition to you.

Simple answer.......NO!

Even if you managed to find the greatest dropshipper ever (highly unlikely) the profit margins would be VERY small and unless you are willing to spend many many hours you simply won't make any money. At the same time the odds that you will lose money are quite high.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Not a chance, do tons of research, then re ask your question..

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The only way to make money dropshipping is to be the supplier,not the retailer.

The supplier controls the quality of the product.

The supplier controls the wholesale price.

The supplier controls the number of retailers.

The supplier controls packaging.

The supplier controls shipping.

The retailer is responsible for finding customers.

The retailer is responsible if the product is unsatisfactory.

The retailer is responsible if the product is delivered late (or not at all).

By the way, Canadian law prohibits the payment of surrogates above living expenses, and even those are restricted.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I'm a Canadian but i want to visit the state mainly California to do a production assistant bootcamp and i hope to become a filmmaker. I know it may be a pipedream but this is what keep me getting up in the morning and going to work to save cash.

Forget about a video game/movie store, their obsolete. Drop shipping is a no-no. Focus on film making and everything else will fall into place.

Best of luck....

Here are a few good quality film schools in Canada:

• Carleton University's School for Studies in Art and Culture.
  • Concordia University's Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema.
  • Simon Fraser University's School for the Contemporary Arts.
  • University of British Columbia's Department of Theatre and Film.
  • York University's Faculty of Fine Arts.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

One of my many nephews took his diploma from Humber College in Toronto and within five years was afternoon drive on Virgin Radio in Toronto.

TJ is also very funny and talented.

Community Colleges are good about training you to do the work and helping you find the work once you are trained.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Based on how you wrote this you will fail . You aren't doing drop shipping because you like it . People who drop ship spend 50-60 hours a week on it to succeed . Drop shipping isn't " Extra cash " It's a job .

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I hope the OP isn't discouraged, but they are sound advices. I'm gonna chip in a few cents myself...

1. Forget drop shipping. You're more likely to lose money than make money, and like other posters said, people who do manage to succeed in it treats it like a full time job, not a side job for making extra money, since you do need to invest a lot of effort and research and funds in it.

2. Prioritize your dreams, think about what's feasible and financially sustainable. I do think that the one about opening your own video game shop is too risky. Right now the internet is the market for buying games, not so much physical stores. Like how Blockbuster no longer exists.

3. If you don't need that second car, yes, sell it. Car maintenance, insurance etc is costly.

4. Focus on your film study goals. This is more realistic and attainable.

5. Why surrogacy? (And yes, I have heard it's not legal to pay someone to be a surrogate... Or do you plan to pay someone outside Canada? That medical bill is gonna be costly if something unexpected happens). Unless it's mandatory for you to pass on your genes, adopting a child is likely less costly, and you can give that child new hope in life. But do make sure you think about all the costs related to raising a child and what kind of responsibility it involves.

You cannot work 50-60 hours a week when you have to look after a child, unless you are looking after said child with another person. If you're, then your cost of living is going to be much higher. Getting a child is the easy part, raising the child is the difficult, life-long responsibility part.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

"So my question is is there a way to make extra cash on ebay with drop shipping ? "

No, plain and simple NO

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I like your point about adoption. There's also Foster Parenting to consider too. It's a calling not for the timid but those who are determined to make a difference in this world can make a world of difference for a vulnerable young person who needs a stable home, temporarily or long-term. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the following tactic but I know of one or two families who sustain themselves as foster parents because of the financial incentives given to them to look after child(ben) in their home. But I would never suggest you do it for the money, it's a very tough job, your whole heart has to be in it. 

As to following your dreams. Yes. You sound motivated, do it. But don't discount local options. Even in Winnipeg which is about as far away from Hollywood as you can get in every sense of the word, we have a thriving film and production industry. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Also, dropshipping is a bad idea. We've all flirted with the idea and come to the same conclusion. Don't get sucked into the online hype about it. Dropshipping is not a Get Rich Quick Scheme. The only 'get rich quick scheme' that works is being the guy online selling all the get rich quick schemes. Smoke and mirrors. If you want a store that earns no money but looks like it should, go to Shopify and browse the hundreds of password-ready-to-purchase online stores available. Those are likely all dropshippers who set up a shop and waited for no customers to buy their no inventory coming from nowhere. It's an exercise in futility.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I agree with just about all the comments above.  

a) Drop-shipping is a hopeless trap for the person being exploited (you, the re-seller).  Avoid it completely.  

b)  Be realistic about your goals.  Canada does have a thriving film and television production industry.  Start here in Canada with solid training at a recognized university or community college and get established in this country before heading to California.   Everybody thinks L.A. is the place to be for the film industry, but there are good opportunities here at home, especially in the technical areas connected with film or television.  Are you fluent in French?  The Province of Québec provides outstanding support to the arts and there is a thriving film industry there. 

c)  Put off any  decision about getting and raising a child until you are settled in your profession and can either afford a full-time nanny or have a partner with whom to share the burden.  You must be at a point in your life where you are able to provide financially for a child (think in the area of $10,000 extra each year, increasing as the child gets older).  Even more importantly, you need to be willing to fully devote yourself to the task.  Raising a child is not a part-time 'hobby'.  

As was mentioned above, there is always the possibility of adoption, but the same financial and personal considerations apply, perhaps even more so.  Forget fostering unless you have 24 hours a day and the support of a willing partner.  I have fostered in the past, and it is a hugely difficult and emotionally demanding task. 

Better to put that planned $70,000 for foreign surrogacy toward your own education and perhaps as a down-payment on a home once you have the job you've trained for.   Besides, if you're still young, you never know how your life situation and plans for the future might change.   Get an education first, the rest may just fall into place without your worrying or planning for it. 

One step at a time and you'll work your way up to your dreams.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

"my other goals is to open a local store mainly a video game/movie store"

add in the cost of a time machine to take you back 10 years

Oh I read that again, the store wont open for 6 years!  there wont be anything to sell in a video game/movie store in less then 6 years.  Take a look at GME stock, still very profitable but everyone knows the writing is on the wall (including them desperately trying to fill their stores with everything but games) 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Community Colleges are good about training you to do the work and helping you find the work once you are trained.

The trend used to be and maybe still is that students would get their Fine Arts Degree at University and then go to Community College for Advertising Art to prepare for work in their related fields.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

B&M dvd shops may be uneconomic, but there are quite a few sellers still online.

I gather from what some have said here, that they buy pallets of DVDs, sometimes new, sometimes from closed rental shops, and look for the special items.

So it helps to know what are those special items.

And to be able to buy a pallet of DVDs from the liquidator.

My ignorance on this subject is unfathomable.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply