invoice

Has anyone had a problem with invoicing tonight?  Tried to send invoice to a US buyer and it automatically added 7% sales tax for their state.  Invoice did not send their was an "error" notice.  Tried a couple more times with same result.   Checking on sold items and this sale now showed "print shipping label"  checked on the order status and it showed invoice without the added State sales tax!!  Anyone else have this happen tonight??

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

invoice

On the order details page there should be a not very obvious link to something that shows the taxes. It doesn't show in other places because you are not collecting the taxes but eBay is.

Why is it that you need to send an invoice?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

invoice

@hypurchick 

Here are the fun specifics from dot com. More states to be added in the future.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

-Lotz

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

invoice

Once eBay starts to collect tax, no action is required on your part, and there will be no charges or fees for eBay automatically calculating, collecting and remitting sales tax.

The collection process will apply to all sales, whether the seller is located in or outside of the United States.

When a buyer purchases an item on eBay, and the ship to address is one of the above states, eBay will calculate and add the applicable sales tax at checkout. The buyer will pay both the cost of the item along with the sales tax. eBay will collect and remit the tax.

Sellers are not able to opt out of selling items into the states listed above or opt out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

invoice

It's not just eBay, it's every online venue with a noticeable presence, AZ, etsy, LL Bean, Nordstom's, WalMart.

If your buyer complains you can refer them to the governor of their state.

The contact information should be on the state's website.

It won't help them, because the states need the tax money to provide public services, but it will give them a different place to complain.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

invoice

Sadly everyone is not aware of these or any taxes that may or may not be charged on eBay and the other sites.  Maybe they are not regular online shoppers. Tax amounts vary per state/State to State and for assorting reasons. Some states have taxes on shipping, others do not. Same with taxes on clothing...Yay or Nay. If a seller were to include an invoice with any taxes clearly noted(By eBay) as being required along with the actual percent rate, at their discretion, the buyer would be able to see and understand that it was a requirement and not a seller trying "to rip them off". Always best to reduce confusion by being transparent as possible and eBay is much better equipped to explain these rules than your average seller especially when rules and regulations are changing constantly.

-Lotz

https://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-on-clothing/

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

invoice

I'm not sure it would be the best idea to have the tax noted as being "by eBay".

Although eBay (and other venues) is collecting the tax, it is very much a state tax and does not stay with the seller or with eBay*.

It's true that more transparent wording would help a bit. But Americans hate taxation of any sort with a mouth frothing passion, so I'm not sure it would really help. The biggest haters are the poorest readers.

*Although, when we were collecting ON sales taxes, we were given a small rebate on the total collected basically for collection, paperword and remittance.  So if we collected $10,000 in taxes we got maybe $10 back for our work. Most consumers don't know that.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

invoice

@reallynicestamps 

Sorry. Meant that it was clearly marked for the individual state by eBay as part of the invoice and also clearly displayed in Paypal etc. For example was thinking more as a line stating Alabama 8 percent will be remitted on the customer's behalf to the Alabama Department of Revenue. This way the customer knows how much they paid and why. It's done in Shippo when you view the address regarding the Ref Information when shipping to Australia that it has been applied/paid. Technically it should view across all paperwork including customs documentation.

Example of a clear list of charges below:

Image result for funny invoice for a car repair

-Lotz

Message 8 of 8
latest reply