need advice quick!

So. .I just received a polite msg from a buyer who notified me that the face cream came with no box. I did put nib when creating the listing, because I believed it was boxed at the time of posting. The buyer purchased it quickly, before I could even snap a photo (and see that error). sometimes i get ahead of myself and post some listings with a plain banner indicating it will be updated shortly with photos. So I had no time to correct it. I was aware it was supposed to be in box once it sold, how ever it isnt any thing fancy and tbh this is my worst nightmare now, the idea of having to send a full refund because of the absence of a PAPER BOX. The buyer is not aggressive and has not opened a case (at this time) though I could guess its coming if I dont respond soon.
They have asked me how they should proceed from here given the item is suppose to be a gift. Can somebody who is more experienced share some thoughts? Im certainly going to say sorry and hope I dont get bad feedback. a return is unlikely since the return shipping from us is too pricy, and Im pretty certain I couldnt ask the buyer to pay since it is my mistake. So, shall I go ahead and follow my gut which is to just apologise and provide a full refund plus shipping or does anybody have any other suggesstions how I could settle this without going for total loss or ebay stepping in?
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

need advice quick!

i also like to add, it was a very good deal i gave on a product no longer in store so im kind of annoyed that they are implying that its use less to them with out a box.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

need advice quick!

i also like to add, it was a very good deal i gave on a product no longer in store so im kind of annoyed that they are implying that its use less to them with out a box.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

I'm in the midst of a similar situation......an item that was not sealed as it would be expected (but this particular item NEVER came sealed).

Here's what I did.....

Replied to the buyer apologized for not noting this in the listing (was listed as "new") and gave an explanation of why this new item was never available as a sealed item. Of course I also told them that if it was still a problem (gift item like yours apparently) I'd be willing to take a return.

I'm waiting for an answer............

The situations are not exactly the same because your "error" was plain and simple while my "error" was one of omission.

I would suggest you apoligize for the error and offer a return (on your dime). If the buyer actually decides to take you up on the return you can always change your mind and just issue a refund instead. If I'm looking at the right listing, I agree it's not worth paying for return shipping on a $10 item, you'll just have to eat the loss and remember to ensure the small details are correct going forward.

Just about every seller has made this type of mistake at some point.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

thank you soo much for some solid advice! it all makes sense to me. except i think im just going to go for the refund, something tells me id rather just be done with it and keep moving forward. ill keep it as a learning experience, though sometimes i hate those..😋 thank you for responding and laying it out plain and simple. Im going go deal with that now!
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

I always try to coax the buyer to a partial refund, and if I can do that I ask for them to let me know what they think is a fair refund amount given the overall situation. 

This almost always puts a positive spin on the situation because they have "control" of the resolution. I get a noticeable amount of positive comments about the approach.

It bears risk for me because they might pick what I think is an unfair amount. (If they do I politely refund and block them).

I do have to say I can't remember the last time I blocked someone for an unfair amount, and I've had a few that ask for less than I would have expected. Generally they're pretty good.

Keep in mind I live in the happier stamp world, not all categories are equal!

Given you're thinking of doing a full refund, anything you "keep" at this point is a bonus....

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

FYI - My buyer was understanding, they are happy and interested in some items I may have but are not currently listed.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

I was aware it was supposed to be in box once it sold, how ever it isnt any thing fancy and tbh this is my worst nightmare now, the idea of having to send a full refund because of the absence of a PAPER BOX.

People give face cream as presents? Huh. I'd be offended by such a gift myself. Oh well.

Even if your policy is No Returns, that does not mean No Refunds.

So if the buyer  files a dispute you are going to be required to refund.

BUT

Even if your policy is No Returns, you can demand the return before refunding.

I would send a Message in reply.

"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a refund."

Now.

If she is just fishing for a partial refund, she can say so, and -- given that you did advertise a box and did not supply a box-- you can offer a partial.

Or.

She wants it free , keeping the cream and getting all her money back. A No Returns policy encourages this. Your demand for return before refund puts paid to that idea.

Note that you may have to pay for return shipping.  If she is not in Canada that is possible through  Shippo so don't panic.

Frankly, I am old and cynical, and I really have doubts about her story. Again who gives face cream as a gift? Baskets of assorted products, yes. High end cosmetics, yes.  You indicate, and I could be wrong, that your item was not something difficult to find or expensive.  I could be wrong. (edit-- I notice you say it is no longer in stores. So, hard to find.  Hmmm , now I wonder about Best Before dates. )

And of course, this is a learning experience.

Don't list until everything is ready. Take pictures and write descriptions before uploading.

I hate learning experiences.

Oh-- just because you give her everything she demands, she can still leave negative feedback.  So don't think a refund will solve everything.

Again.

I am old and cynical.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

I wish I hadnt been in such a hurry cause your totally right, I refunded them in full with out suggesting a partial refund, This is the 3rd time I did something silly thats costed me. Id love to turn back and employ your idea but since I alredy gave the money back I suppose its not in the cards. im so embarassed now, because im such a push over. i get scared about negative feedback and dont stand up for myself 😞 to date, Ive paid approx $100 in refunds I probably didnt "need" to because I jumped the gun assuming i had little to no rights. it kind of seems in a lot of ways for sellers that that is true. .it is also kind of sad how some buyers can suddenly become quite the bully, once they know they have the upper hand. Hopefully 3 times a charm and next time will be different for me with no more (unnecessary) losses.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

You seem to be learning the lessons that we all had to learn fairly cheaply!  The stories over the years might scare the less intrepid off, but the more you sell, the more you learn.  You can almost smell a scam after a while.  Do not ever list an item until your listing is complete, never ship until you are paid, keep your chin up, and no matter what, when femmefan1946 gives you advice......take it!  Best of luck

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

Aside from how we personally feel about them, eBay really doesn't care about feedback, how you show up in searches etc is NOT affected by feedbacks. Personally I do feel though that a buyer that has an issue and is thinking about doing something will probably check the sellers feedback and if they see they aren't the first they're more likely to act on the issue.

Over the course of the last year, I've had the most negatives I think I've ever had, folks fuses seem a bit shorter during these COVID times, one has to just shake them off (and of course fix any actual problems if the complaint is valid).

INADS, returns, defects late deliveries etc do count against us so those are the things to most avoid.

IMO the best route to go is treat all problem situations as though they're valid, be polite and respectful, at least in my world it is very surprising what positive polite communication can do. In the end, do what you can to minimize the time and $$$$ it takes to fix the problem, and block folks as appropriate. (Once I block a buyer I never respond to further messages)

PS if you're going to lean, leaning toward a good customer service approach is the right way to lean and I don't think one should be embarassed by that!!! 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

thank you so much, I feel better now and I really like how you worded this!! 🙂
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

need advice quick!

big kudos to each person who responded, I have taken note of all you tips!
Message 12 of 12
latest reply