newbie seller

ok so im goiing to be a new ebay seller. i will be getting an officail business licence. but im confuse about a number of things.

1.  first is concerning the HST do i charge this to all my international buyers, considering i live in ontario.

2. when i look at a listing i see an import charge is that fee automatically include the HST, also as a seller how do i factor in duties       fees is their some sort of calculation. where do i find this or how do i do this.

3. ive also been reading up on the global shipping program, and from what ive seen not alot of sellers/buyers like it. as sellers do any of you use this service? what do you think about it? it just seem to me is that it makes thing easier for collecting on import fees, but a pain for shipping.

4. also i plan on buying  a barcode scanner to keep track of inventory. what would be a good software for point of sale/inventory(preferably)

i know this is alot of newbie questions but im a complete newbie to all this, and any help would be great.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: newbie seller

@eshwaarx2014 wrote:

ok so im goiing to be a new ebay seller. i will be getting an officail business licence. but im confuse about a number of things.

1.  first is concerning the HST do i charge this to all my international buyers, considering i live in ontario.

2. when i look at a listing i see an import charge is that fee automatically include the HST, also as a seller how do i factor in duties       fees is their some sort of calculation. where do i find this or how do i do this.

3. ive also been reading up on the global shipping program, and from what ive seen not alot of sellers/buyers like it. as sellers do any of you use this service? what do you think about it? it just seem to me is that it makes thing easier for collecting on import fees, but a pain for shipping.

4. also i plan on buying  a barcode scanner to keep track of inventory. what would be a good software for point of sale/inventory(preferably)

i know this is alot of newbie questions but im a complete newbie to all this, and any help would be great.

I'm pretty sure you are trying to get all your ducks in a row before starting. That will never work. Always expect the unexpected. What you think will happen, won't. What you do not think will happen will. It is impossible to presume every possible situation.

1)  You charge nothing on exports.

2)  All parts leave the country duty free. All import charges are the responsibility of the buyer in their country, if they are assessed.

3) GSP is purely for American exporters and has nothing to do with CDN sellers.

4) Nice, but that is a layer of complexity. I tag everything with a number written on a piece of paper, sequential, and put in a box with the number on it.

What all of us have done, is start, then adapt as we see where we are going. You can be as prepared as you want to be and the next day "I never thought of that".

Photobucket
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Those of us who sell on eBay started small... simple  ....and learned what to do and what NOT to do.

I had about 10 years of experience of buying at garage sales, estate sales and more and then  selling at local and country auctions before I sold on eBay.  Everything was simple and easy to do as I learned to sell.. Been going to auctions sale... local  and country auctions for close to 35 years... at first it was to fill a house with furniture  and collectables as well as art.

There were two years that  many pieces of vintage furniture were found at garage sales... refinished and sold at country auctions... Many vintage collectables....

There was one summer  that I found model train kits ,,,, garage sale after garage sale...found 30 plus locomotives and over 300 railcars....  They sold well once I started on eBay....Slotcar racing kits also were eventually  a spectacular sale on eBay.

and then some artwork at local auctions ...  I went to many auctions... first to buy to fill a house.. and then to sell.

I do not think anyone here jumped in and sold thousands on the first day.... It takes time to adjust... and if you do not adjust  today... eBay will set limits...

eBay was very much different 10 years ago.. easier to learn... easier to sell and then came year after year of adjustments.

I read a lot on eBay and on Paypal...  two months worth  before I sold my first item... and then kept reading more ... constantly learning and adjusting

Out of the first 6 listings  five were sold.... and my first feedback was received within 24 hours of a sale...  It is much different today....very, very much different.... lots more to read and learn.

10 years ago I sold no books...  Today I only sell books....  I found the right  inventory  and made adjustments appropriate to selling on eBay

Each of us has learned what to do  and more importantly what to sell ...  how to sell... and how to be successful.

Canadian sellers are unique on eBay... mainly because of what they have to do... to sell... and everything else  on eBay  in order to be competitive on eBay.com.....  There are many hurdles to cross... some  hurdles are invisible until you meet them

Many have failed..... we never hear of them...

But then there are those that have been successful  year-after-year... many will never come here with problems

Do not feel frustrated by what you read.....  you have a total of 50 ... 75 ... and more years of total experience talking to you...

If you are still on eBay two years from now.... you will look back and understand what is being said today...

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Every new  seller  should stand in front of a mirror and ask

Who am I?

How do I deal with people on a personal basis?

We depend very much on reading a person on a personal basis... On the internet  we do not have that face-to-face contact.

We must learn how to communicate in an effective... non-confrontational manner.

There are many ways to say the same thing... Which combination of words works best

We also have to learn how to read buyers on the basis of what they say in emails 

Our listings must be effective.... and our terms of sale must be simple.....  too many sellers present  too many negatives in their terms of sale...

It is perhaps more important to know what not to do, what not to say.....  because  the best in selling practices on the internet should never create a problem.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

OP? You are aware you will have selling limits to start? Both in terms of # of units and total value? That you will be subject to the PP 21 day hold?

That with electronics, they may even slap a hold on you and request more information so as to validate what you are doing?

Just to jump through these hoops can take a few months. Excellent time to "learn the ropes".

Cumos? 50-75 years talking to you? I think that you, Pierre, and myself equal at least 150 years of various "experience".

Photobucket
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Sellers make a profit based on what they pay for inventory..... it is not the price they sell their inventory.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

This year is my lucky year 13  on eBay... so far so good....and then atleast 10 years of a learning experience .... locally before eBay

That 50... 75 ...  and more years ....only referred to selling on eBay

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

This year is my lucky year 13  on eBay... so far so good....and then atleast 10 years of a learning experience .... locally before eBay

That 50... 75 ...  and more years ....only referred to selling on eBay

However, experience in sourcing, sales, management, customer service, is how many years?

I am in my 14th on eBay plus 35 of retail. Pierre is how many? Considering he was usually doing three things at once?

Cumos55! Books should count for double. The shipping alone is worth an extra one for one of years.

Photobucket
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

thenks for everyones concern. i know that there are alot of hurdles, and i wont just be buying a huge inventory and hope that it will sell. ive been doing alot of research and it clear that i need to do some more. but i am am determined to make this work. i will be buying a small amount and grow from there. see what works for me. if im sucsesfull then i will gradually grow my buisness one product at a time. like one of the poster said im trying to make sure all my eggs are in my basket, which does not always work but it help if your prepared. even just a little bit

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@eshwaarx2014 wrote:

thenks for everyones concern. i know that there are alot of hurdles, and i wont just be buying a huge inventory and hope that it will sell. ive been doing alot of research and it clear that i need to do some more. but i am am determined to make this work. i will be buying a small amount and grow from there. see what works for me. if im sucsesfull then i will gradually grow my buisness one product at a time. like one of the poster said im trying to make sure all my eggs are in my basket, which does not always work but it help if your prepared. even just a little bit

Mixing metaphors. You do not want all of your eggs in one basket, none of us here do. I am juggling about five baskets.

Ducks in a row. About as easy as herding cats.

Do up a listing and allow us to critique it. Be aware! Put on your flack jacket and tin foil hat. 150 years, plus others, is about 500 years or experience here.

List something and just start. Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Photobucket
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Make it work... and .... Hope for the Best..............................  Sounds better!!!

and Learn what not to do to make it work....  It can be done

and never continue to adjust... what you sell.. How you sell...and everything else  you can think of.

Face realities before they happen

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

and never continue to adjust 

should read

and always continue to adjust....

Late Saturday... ouch....

Message 31 of 31
latest reply