on ebay, how do I calculate my item price and shipping with 13% tax

In Canada, Ontario, when people purchase goods in store, they need to pay 13% tax, the amount they pay is the price on the tag plus 13% tax.. As a seller on ebay, can I do the same? 

I mean the price of  listed Item  is not included 13% tax, after the buyer order, ebay can automatically add 13% tax and show buyer the amount that they should pay. Then I can receive the full amount with tax. 

If ebay can't not to do that, how do I make my item's price, should I add 13% tax to the top, then the total amount as a price on ebay. Can any one give me advise? Thank You. 

As there is this 13% tax, I don't know how to charge the shipping fee, I use Canada Post to delivery sold item, but ebay should buyer the Canada Post shipping fee is before 13% tax, a buyer pay the fee. When I go shipping, Canada Post charge me the fee after 13% tax. In this case I need to pay extra 13% shipping fee for the payer. My profit may not cover this extra fee. Does any one has this problem, how do you handle it?  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

"As a seller on ebay, can I do the same? "

NO, unless you are registered with GST/HST to collect and remit the tax.

Canadians with worldwide revenue from their business exceeding $30,000 must register..

Do not worry about the GST/HST until you have established your business.

When you sell your "Trojan Pleasure Pack 3 Assorted Lubricant condoms", you give buyers "free shipping". There is no tax calculations.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Stop thinking so much.

If you are registered to remit taxes, you will already know that you just add your eBay sales to your B&M sales and sales on other sites.

If you are not registered, you MUST NOT collect taxes.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your response.

I am not registered yet, but I sold an item to a United States buyer, the ebay show shipping fee is US $7.41 via Canada Post  as a Small Packets - USA - Air. When I mailed it, the Canada Post office charge me US$7.41 plus 13% tax, I paid US$8.37. In this case I paid extra US $.96 shipping fee.  Should I ask the buyer to pay me this US$.96 ? if not, I almost do not have any profit.

Can I do like this next time?

when I have a item sold,  I resend an invoice to buyer to add this 13% as a update shipping fee and also explain the reason that I charge more than the ebay show. But that causes more time and the buyer might be unhappy. 

I ready do not know how to solve this problem. Can you give me a suggestion? Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

"Canada Post office charge me US$7.41 plus 13% tax, I paid US$8.37"

???

Canada Post clerk made a mistake.  Canadians do not pay HST on postage to a US or overseas destination when postage exceeds $5.00

Bring your receipt back to the post office, ask to speak to the manager and demand a refund of the tax paid.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When I mailed it, the Canada Post office charge me US$7.41 plus 13% tax,

As pierre says, the clerk was wrong to charge tax on export postage over $5.00

However, you are allowed to charge a handling charge on any shipping. This is a line item on the Sell Your Item form and is not seen by your buyer.

So if you were adding a 50 cent handling charge to cover packaging, taxes and perhaps self-insurance, and the Calculated postage were $6.00, your buyer would see the Shipping and Handling charge as $6.50.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

ca_maohu wrote:I am not registered yet, but I sold an item to a United States buyer, the ebay show shipping fee is US $7.41 via Canada Post  as a Small Packets - USA - Air. When I mailed it, the Canada Post office charge me US$7.41 plus 13% tax, I paid US$8.37. In this case I paid extra US $.96 shipping fee.
Next time purchase your shipping through paypal.  As others have said your postal outlet should NOT have charged you tax for small packet USA.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply