recap on a sale gone wrong

Recently I sold an expensive item to a buyer in BC to be shipped from Quebec.

The buyer wanted me to use Purolator . I said no BEFORE he bought the item. Once he bought it he said he wanted me to use Purolator with his account number and I told him I already said no before the sale (this is on record since ebay's messaging system was used) I told the buyer I was going to use Canada Post and that if he did not get it for XMAS (buyer wanted it for Christmas), I was going to refund the totality of the shipping fees (50$). Buyer agreed reluctantly. On Canada Post tracking service it says that the item is in BC and out for final delivery since the 21st with no update.  On the 24th, The buyer writes to me to say that he has not received it yet and scolds me for not using Purolator like he wanted. He says he wants me to refund the 50$ shipping and he is going to send the item back to me when/if he gets it.  I'm fuming at this time. I had a bad feeling about this buyer from the start.  This is an expensive and fragile item worth more than a grand. Please be aware that I had told him before he actually bought the lens that I would not use Purolator.

Refunding the 50$ shipping price is the most I can do.  Can he decide to send the item back to me simply because he did not get it for Christmas ? Thank you and merry XMAS.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: recap on a sale gone wrong

Why didn't you just ship the item on the buyer's Purolator account?

Ian

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@ichopshop wrote:

Why didn't you just ship the item on the buyer's Purolator account?

Ian

Because using a buyer supplied shipping account is extremely dangerous.

1 - You have no idea if they actually control the account or it's an account they "stole/borrowed".

2 - It's very easy as the shipper of record (the account holder) to redirect an in-transit shipment, a redirected shipment will show delivery to an an address that is NOT the address provided with payment and therefore there is no seller protection from an INR claim.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Enormous sigh. Yes, he can send it back as a remorse return for any reason and expect to receive a full refund. You can refund him that $50 shipping now (like you said as a gesture of good faith) or wait until he initiates a Return request. He sounds like a pain but I'm more worried about the eternal 'out for delivery' message than anything else. Can you call Canada Post and see what the problem is with that first?

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

My bigger concern is the whereabouts of the lens and the condition in which you will receive it back. Was it sent with Signature? (I hope so.) Call the 1-800-Canada Post number as soon as you can.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

His continued demand about Purolator and current demands about immediate refunds make me think you have found the scammer.

You don't mention the payment date. That and your shipping date make a difference in eBay's estimated delivery window.

He can't open a Dispute until that window closes.

I would (reluctantly) let him open the Dispute before refunding.

EBay normally gives you a little leeway once that is opened. You should put the tracking (and I hope Signature Confirmation) number into the Dispute.

Canada Post will be delivering on Thursday and Friday, but not again until January 2nd.

(There may still be some Saturday or Sunday deliveries happening, but don't count on it.)

Where in BC are you? Here on Vancouver Island, we have been having century windstorms. My SIL had no power for four days so she moved in with her brother, and another BIL still has none. On the mainland the Sunshine Coast was also hard hit, and we have a lot of hydro workers brought in from out of province, including QC.

All of which, combined with the last remnants of the postal disturbance are undoubtedly having an effect on deliveries.

Normally, with an unhappy but understanding customer, I would be encouraging to refund the postage as an interim.

But when he refused that and demanded a full refund for a shipment you can prove is on its way (at a difficult time) says he has refused that offer and your offer is now dead.

To my mind, you are not obligated to do anything until he opens the Dispute.

This includes explaining how to open a Dispute, if he is not sure.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Also never promise that if something doesn't get there before the holidays, that you will refund him. There is no way to guarantee that especially with the strike & backlog. And there still seems to be a bit of a backlog here in Vancouver. Just let him open the dispute for return if he wants to.  But don't refund anything before that. Also he will have to return the item at his expense as it is not because of Not As Described but Buyers's Remorse. In hindsight I don't think I would have dealt with him. And if he paid anyway, I would have refunded him after payment & put him on my blocked list.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

If this were a football game, the coach would be telling you to make the other team work ten times as hard for every foot they get.

Same here. Do not give in, follow the eBay procedures to the tee, save all correspondence. Make him work hard for anything he may be entitled to whether justified or not.

If you refund now he will see you as a weak target and will go in for the kill. Explain to him that eBay has a process for dealing with situations like this, and he is required to follow those process.

If at any point he becomes overly confrontational or makes threats etc., Cease contact and call eBay and let them handle it.

Like I said, if he wants to take a inch, makes him sweat for it.
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Thanks to everybody who chipped in.

Because someone asked, the buyer paid for the item on the 7th (a Friday) and I shipped on the 10th. Normally it should be there but at this time of the year...

I will contact Canada Post as soon as I can get hold of them. I will write to the buyer to mention this. I will take it from there and report.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

and yes, item was sent with a signature requirement !

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

since it has signature he could always just decline to sign and it will be sent back to you on your dollar . Assuming because shipping was 50 $ you also had 1000 $ in coverage on the item ?

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Ah but if buyer refuses to sign they forfeit MBG, and seller can refund minus ALL shipping charges incurred.

So let's secretly hope that's what he does maybe?
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I've had a parcel showing processed in Richmond for six days, maybe Canada Post is just behind on deliveries. I had another eastbound that went out for delivery and then said 'rescheduled for next business day' without explanation. 

But mine aren't high-value items sold to high-maintenance buyers. I sure hope this works out right.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

YES !
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I contacted Canada Post because item seems to be in limbo (at the end of the 27th of December). They asked me a number of questions,  started an investigation and gave me a ref number. They will contact me soon. Meanwhile my buyer is going bonkers. I told him I was as upset at CP as he was, what I was going to do about it and asked him to keep the communications civilized.

So apparently sellers have to satisfy a buyers request at all costs.  I even wonder if he was abiding by ebay rules by demanding of me to use Purolator on his account number.  I told him everything we write to each other is recorded just to see if it's going to change anything but my hopes are not very high at this point. If the messages start escalating in ugliness, I'm not so sure I'll be able to keep a civilized tone myself. Thanks for all those who replied. The waiting game starts.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the item back first before refund!  Ha may hang on it to despite you!

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I sympathize but you, as the seller, must stay civilized at all costs.

Don’t budge an inch on the refund just yet but do place as much pressure as you can on Canada Post to see where this pricey item has gone.

Buyers ARE NOT allowed to demand shipping changes before or after purchase. If the buyer didn’t like your terms, he was free to look elsewhere to satisfy his wants.

If he gets any more hostile, my advice would be to send a brief response saying the conversation has become too hostile and that you will defer to eBay henceforth.

I think seller are still being granted extra protections for strike-relate delays but the time is quickly coming to ask eBay to step in to protect you from whatever wrath is coming from the direction of your buyer.
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Item was delivered yesterday (27th) in the late afternoon. I have refunded the 50$ shipping to the buyer and so far have not heard back from him.   I'm hoping he is going to keep it to end the unnecessary aggravation but who knows ? Got to be ready for anything right ?

Thankfully the majority of my buyers are quite agreeable.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Glad to hear it was delivered. Do try to open a ticket with CPC for late delivery though.
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

"I told the buyer I was going to use Canada Post and that if he did not get it for XMAS (buyer wanted it for Christmas), I was going to refund the totality of the shipping fees (50$). Buyer agreed reluctantly."

At this point both have wat was agreed to even if reluctantly. Hopefully that ends matters.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply