sales tax in Alberta

Ebay s charging Alberta residents a sales tax on bills  They charge a 13% GST HST tax in Alberta 

The Province does not have a sales tax Only a 5 % GST tax so check your bills they have been charging us all too much Tax  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

sales tax in Alberta

Sounds like ebay forgot where your Seller account is based and is defaulting to the Canadian HQ location in Ontario (13% HST).

tyler@ebay 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

Thanks for the tag @ypdc_dennis!

Hi @nitropete48 - I'm going to take a look and see what I can find on this - thanks for your patience! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

@nitropete48   tyler@ebay 

Just reviewed my most recent bill. It shows 5% was charged for Alberta so hoping your case was a one of and can be resolved easily. As for ebay fees, for April, 29.6% of sales...The bulk of those fees were based on SHIPPING. That part of the equation is extremely difficult to stomach when Canadian sellers charge honest shipping charges. Did save a whole $2.57 with the 10% discount.  unamused

-Lotz

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @nitropete48 - I heard back on this!

If your registered address was in a 13% province at the time of invoice generation, you would be charged at that percentage even if you later changed the address to a 5% province.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

my address has always been the same so why am i being charged 13 % 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

zork88
Community Member
Yes I too was just charged 13% tax, it said 13% AB sales tax right on the invoice which is incorrect (only 5% GST, no provincial tax). My address has never been registered or listed anywhere but Alberta.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

ZOMBIE thread from 2019

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

Even if he did change his address, why should he pay taxes for a previously registered address? It should still update correctly with his active billing address. If he now lives in a different province at the time of that billing period he should not be paying HST from another province. 

You make it sound like he should take it or leave it, rather than resolve the problem.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

sales tax in Alberta

People rarely return to posts they made three years ago, @masalv-28. Besides, Tyler is no longer working for eBay.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply