[save up to 61% on Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA]---Anyone Know What's Up After Dec 31?

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what happens to Tr Pkt USA rates on January 1, 2024?

Will eBay Canada sellers lose the only competitive shipping feature ever?

Merry Christmas!

Current eBay Promo ending Dec 31

["For a limited time, save up to 61% on Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA

US buyers are accustomed to and expect tracked shipping for their online purchases - even lower-value ones. To enable Canadian sellers an affordable tracked service to the US, eBay has partnered with Canada Post to offer specially reduced rates on Tracked Packet™– USA for shipments up to two kilograms.

This special promotion is available to all Canadian eBay sellers purchasing on eBay Labels until December 31, 2023.

--------------------------------------------------

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

[save up to 61% on Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA]---Anyone Know What's Up After Dec 31?

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what happens to Tr Pkt USA rates on January 1, 2024?

Will eBay Canada sellers lose the only competitive shipping feature ever?

Merry Christmas!

Current eBay Promo ending Dec 31

["For a limited time, save up to 61% on Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA

US buyers are accustomed to and expect tracked shipping for their online purchases - even lower-value ones. To enable Canadian sellers an affordable tracked service to the US, eBay has partnered with Canada Post to offer specially reduced rates on Tracked Packet™– USA for shipments up to two kilograms.

This special promotion is available to all Canadian eBay sellers purchasing on eBay Labels until December 31, 2023.

--------------------------------------------------

@intimewithmusic 

Right now that is looking like a "written in stone" firm date for promo to end. Will continue to show Small Packet Air, Tracked and Expedited where applicable on my listings. It's just too much work to update for limited time only offers. We can cross our fingers, do tetley tea dance and pray to the CP Gods but unsure how much help it will do. Crazier observation it appears US sellers have nothing similar for shipping to Canada/Intl. Almost guaranteed they have that sort of offer before us. Chalk that up as a nice bonus carrot for Canadians for the short term and enjoy it while we can.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

I send most* of my stuff without tracking, because the postal system is very good at its job and because while most people are honest, philatelists are fanatically honest.

It  depends on your customer demographic.

If your 'documents' can go LetterPost, you can decide for yourself if they are worth tracking, since the only thing tracking does is tell eBay the shipment was delivered if there is a Claim. How many Claims do you get annually for late deliveries? Or demands for partial refunds because of NAD faults?

Would the occasional false Claim be offset by the savings in using untracked LetterMail for your sheetmusic?

*Most--- because I wasn't born on a turnip truck.

Message 3 of 56
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I send most* of my stuff without tracking, because the postal system is very good at its job and because while most people are honest, philatelists are fanatically honest.

It  depends on your customer demographic.

If your 'documents' can go LetterPost, you can decide for yourself if they are worth tracking, since the only thing tracking does is tell eBay the shipment was delivered if there is a Claim. How many Claims do you get annually for late deliveries? Or demands for partial refunds because of NAD faults?

Would the occasional false Claim be offset by the savings in using untracked LetterMail for your sheetmusic?

*Most--- because I wasn't born on a turnip truck.

@reallynicestamps 

devon@ebay 

90 % of my stuff is parcels. Yayyy FVF's on shipping!!! Strangely I had a late today. Haven't had 1 in years. Bounced around Toronto before leaving on its merry way to be delivered. Customer apparently knows the in and outs of CP. Unsure if there will be problems seeing as eBay owns the account. Wasn't an issue with PayPal/NetParcel/Shippo or CP. Account was under your name. 

As far as I can recall damage claims/late delivery issues have never been a concern as how it pertains directly to eBay. Refund customer. Our work is done. Customers gets refunded for a late/delayed,  item arrives, no way within eBay to re-bill. Sort of a missed step in the process. Also have discovered that in the rare situation you need to send a second refund. (First over pay on postage...2nd for late claim there is no way for buyer or seller to do on their own. 

Anyone process a void recently using eBay Labels. How long did it take to see a refund? Shippo was 7 to 10 days. CP in past was a bit quicker.

-Lotz

PS. Reason being having this current access to US tracked discount is a major miracle for sellers who do most of their business shipping parcels.

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

Thanks @reallynicestamps  and @lotzofuniquegoodies for your two different responses. This discount allowed me to achieve a  1st time in a decade Top Seller rating. Such a shame if it does go away. The CP Exp Lite helped me a tiny bit in Canada but we aren't much for music memorabilia here. 

The EU issues were very crippling for memorabilia as well. They are big music fans. If CP Tr Pkt USA reverts back to standard rates it's going to hurt dot ca sellers who were boosting American sales to offset the troubles in Europe.  

This past few months my concern of losing this US disount has been to focus on Canadian sales under 200 grams. This takes me out of my comfort zone into more competitive territory. I suppose you're never too old to learn something new. 

I'm hoping one of you will post the Tr Pkt USA discount is permanent!!!

Take that as my Christmas wish....

Thanks!

Message 5 of 56
latest reply

I receive similar discounted rates on Etsy, so will be watching that platform as well,  to see what happens AFTER December 31st.

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

Items listed by the OP ARE NOT "documents" or Letter and have some good value which REQUIRES customs declaration...and I'd question the risk involved when sending such materials to USA and/or International destinations as "lettermail".

Message 7 of 56
latest reply

Exactly. Thank you for checking!

The >2KG or >4.4 lb category is likely the highest volume category on eBaydotcom regardless of item value. If a seller wants to sell in the US against USPS prices losing this discount makes it nearly impossible. 

I can sell a rare $400 Stones t shirt and they don't flinch.

The problem is when I try to sell a $99   1979  rare Trooper t shirt. If shipping it to Florida costs $27 for TP I have a problem. Unfortunately Canada doesn't want Trooper or the BTO or Toronto or any other iconic shirts.  They don't even want anything from Bryan. 

Sadly, in order to sell vintage rare Canadian band memorabilia it has to go to the States. I did sell a Payolas shirt to Bob Rock's daughter once but he lives in Hawaii. 

You can't lick a stamp and slap those into an envelope.

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

@intimewithmusic 

I'm new here, so my apologies if there's an obvious answer to this. Just wondering if there is a way to contact the relevant decision maker at eBay Canada to submit our support for making the Canada Post tracked packet discount to the US permanent?

There are so many benefits to Canadian small sellers, US buyers and also eBay (since we can provide better customer service to buyers via offering one-day shipping, lower shipping rates, etc.) For me, it has been life-changing as it saves me 1.5 hours of travel time to drop packages at a cross-border shipper.

Is there a way we can talk to eBay about this directly?

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

@joywillnotstop wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

@intimewithmusic 

I'm new here, so my apologies if there's an obvious answer to this. Just wondering if there is a way to contact the relevant decision maker at eBay Canada to submit our support for making the Canada Post tracked packet discount to the US permanent?

There are so many benefits to Canadian small sellers, US buyers and also eBay (since we can provide better customer service to buyers via offering one-day shipping, lower shipping rates, etc.) For me, it has been life-changing as it saves me 1.5 hours of travel time to drop packages at a cross-border shipper.

@joywillnotstop 

devon@ebay 

Are you able to address? This has been a major improvement/addition for Canadian sellers to have in their toolbox and is making a  major difference in sales.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

Just wondering if there is a way to contact the relevant decision maker at eBay Canada to submit our support for making the Canada Post tracked packet discount to the US permanent?

Canada Post is a Crown Corporation.  The President is Doug Ettinger.  He does not have a postal address on their website.

As an old Ottawa hand, I looked up the HQ address on Google Maps.

2701 Riverside Drive

Ottawa ON

K1A 0B1

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

@joywillnotstop 

I'm with you on that and to my knowledge, here in Kelowna we have no access to any cross border shipper. The drive is about 2 hours.

On the eBay for Business Podcst Nov 21 Griff was encouraging Canadians to list on dot com using a cross border address. His podcast partner highlighted the subject by saying 90% of Canadians live on or near the border. I wasn't happy about it. It almost seemed like they were eluding to the instability of eBaydotca. On yesterdays podcast (Nov 28) they back pedaled and said, "Well not every Canadian seller can do that."

With the lack of promotional tools we really need this advantage for our shipping. 

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

Good tip.  

Also, the responsible minister for Canada Post is the Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility, who is Carla Qualtrough.

You can write to the Minister, and expect a reply that Canada Post as a Crown Corp is independent, yada yada, but letters to the Minister have a domino effect of required actions down the chain and do get noted and registered.   I am not sure if this would actually go to Canada Post to draft the response for the Minister, as happens internally with letters about specific areas of operation, but it does help register as an issue of note. 

Message 13 of 56
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@joywillnotstop wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

@intimewithmusic 

@joywillnotstop 

devon@ebay 

Are you able to address? This has been a major improvement/addition for Canadian sellers to have in their toolbox and is making a  major difference in sales.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I know that the Shipping team has been working with Canada Post on this and as of now I do not have any updates that can be shared. 

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

While I may disagree with those stats of 90% of Canadians living on or near the border, I will go so far as to agreeing that .CA is definitely instable/unstable and seemingly of little importance to eBay and should be scrapped, but as long as Canadian sellers do not have the ability to list in CDN on eBay.COM, I for one will NOT list on .COM. Although I have not done any calculations for 2023, in recent years, my eBay buyers have been about 60% USA/40% Canada, but I think that may have evened out more so these days...

Message 15 of 56
latest reply

I suppose some historians might argue what they're talking about.  History hasn't anything to do with selling widgets on eBay. I think they were reading out of a 1935 high school book about farming. Back then  winters were winters and "global warming" was just enjoying  a Christmas Eve fire in the fireplace.  " Canada is all rock a hundred or 200 miles north of the border?" 

Sounds like the old "Canadians in igloos" myth.

If someone asked me why  Canadians live where they do I'd say,  "It's because that's where their relatives lived before they got there..."

I fact checked their comment here;

Where is 90% of Canada's population?

90% of Canadians live within 100 miles (160 km) of the U.S. border. More than 70% of Canadians live below the 49th parallel. Jun 7, 2023

For those interested here is the transcript with what we are talking about highlighted;

Nov 21                    eBay For Business Podcast;

[Brian: The next question is from a seller named Paul who posted this on our eBay for Business Podcast Facebook group. I'm hoping to get some clarification. I am in Canada. Being in Canada, we don't have access to programs like EIS or eBay International Shipping or the eBay Standard Envelope. For most of our shipments to the United States. We purchase USPS labels from a across border shipper. We put the USPS label on our shipments, drive to the cross-border Shipper Depot in Canada. They take all the packages to their warehouse in Niagara Falls, New York. We have an address with that company for USA returns. It is a New York address. It is the same location as the warehouse with a unique number for us. Could we use that address as a ship from location address so we can utilize the eBay Standard Envelope option since it is shipping from that address that is the address used to calculate the ship cost? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Griff: Well Paul, you'll be happy to learn that the answer from the Shipping team is yes. eBay does allow sellers who are not registered in the United States to use eBay International shipping by using the method that you just outlined that you're and a lot of hundreds of other sellers in Canada are doing as well. The requirements are only that the item must be located in the Us. That means not that when you list it, you may own PO have possession of in Canada. But when you're listing it, you're indicating that the item is gonna be at this address in this warehouse in Niagara, New York. And it also has to be listed on.com or the eBay motor site. It can't be listed on eBay Canada. And you can also, under those criteria, you can use eBay labels on the.com site along with US ship from addresses to purchase eBay Standard Envelope labels.

Brian: And Paul, keep in mind that for returns, as long as the return address on your account is in the US, you'll be able to purchase return labels to. The key is that all of this has to be done on ebay.com, not ebay.ca.

Griff: There was some discussion about whether or not this was allowable. And I think if you think of it as this, no matter where you're located, if you're listing the item on ebay.com and the item is shipping from a US address, then you're covered including shipments that are going through eBay International Shipping

Brian: Or a Shipper Depot.

Griff: No, no, no. You're getting confused here. These items are located in Niagara, the depot is located in Canada. So they bring the things to the depot and the the depot then brings them to Niagara.

Brian: They bring them. That makes sense because the individual seller's not gonna go bring it to Niagara.

Griff: Right. No, there's a fee involved I think. But these services are provided by different shipping companies. But the seller is indicating they have a pre-arrangement with the company. They have the address in Niagara from which the item is going to be indicated as shipping from where it's located. That's how shipping costs, for example, are determined. So they list the item on ebay.com, they put as a item location and return address that location in Niagara, New York. And then when the item sells, they bring the item to this place a depot in Canada who then transfer the item to this warehouse and it ships from there.

Brian: Good for all of our Canadian listeners to know that if they're not taking advantage of it.

Griff: Yeah, I didn't know this, but did you know that something like 90% or more of the population of Canada is concentrated along the US border?

Brian: I did not know that. And I wouldn't have guessed that it was that high.

Griff: And I was surprised with the reason, 'cause my first thought was, well it's because we do a lot of trade and it's a lot easier to be close to the country you do a lot of trade with. But that's not the reason.

Brian: What's the reason?

Griff: So the reason is a huge piece of Canada, you know, if you look at the map, it goes almost all the way to the North Pole, right?

Brian: Yes.

Griff: A huge piece of Canada, something like a hundred or 200 miles or so above the US border, it's all rock. There's no way to farm it. So it's not tillable farmland. So it was never ripe for settlement.

Brian: So it forces everyone closer to the border.

Griff: Yeah. Where there is tillable land and where you can grow crops. ]

Message 16 of 56
latest reply

guess for Griff & Brian ignorance is bliss, but we Canadians already know that most USA persons never think beyond their own borders, know very little about the world around them and know even less about Canada...

Message 17 of 56
latest reply

The discounted rates are only appled if you have sellected to apply them on your shipping preferences page.  Since switching it on I've sold twice as many bigger items as usual. Anyway, my question is what happens if a buyer purchases the item (and pays) on Dec 31 and you don't print out the label until Jan 1? I'm assuming your actual postage charge will be back to the older/higher rate. I've made a big sticky note on the computer to check sales Sunday night (Dec 31) or maybe I should change back from the discounted rates on Dec 30th?

Message 18 of 56
latest reply

Interesting that eBay is officially saying it is ok to list as located in the US is you have a service transporting to a US shipping location and a US return address.   Always thought that was very questionable as you still need shipping to the US location.

"But the seller is indicating they have a pre-arrangement with the company. They have the address in Niagara from which the item is going to be indicated as shipping from where it's located. That's how shipping costs, for example, are determined. So they list the item on ebay.com, they put as a item location and return address that location in Niagara, New York. And then when the item sells, they bring the item to this place a depot in Canada who then transfer the item to this warehouse and it ships from there.

Brian: Good for all of our Canadian listeners to know that if they're not taking advantage of it."

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

@busybeas_books wrote:

The discounted rates are only appled if you have sellected to apply them on your shipping preferences page.  Since switching it on I've sold twice as many bigger items as usual. Anyway, my question is what happens if a buyer purchases the item (and pays) on Dec 31 and you don't print out the label until Jan 1? I'm assuming your actual postage charge will be back to the older/higher rate. I've made a big sticky note on the computer to check sales Sunday night (Dec 31) or maybe I should change back from the discounted rates on Dec 30th?

This is a good point! I think I will make sure mine are changed even earlier just in case someone takes a couple of days to pay. I would think if label is purchased after Dec. 31 it would be at the higher amount regardless of when the sale was made.

Message 20 of 56
latest reply